Unlimited access >

Post deleted

Sound barrier walls are not very effective at reducing noise because sound waves go over them. I would recommend a very dense and tall hedge or even thick strip of woodland to absorb sound waves. Good diagram here showing sound waves.

I’ve also boarded horses at a place where dog boarding was done and the 24/7 barking of distressed dogs is annoying for sure. The boarded horses totally tuned it out very quickly. I think once your resident horses get used to it, any new horses coming in will quickly pick up on their cues that it’s no big deal.

If you can rearrange your property to put the horses further away from the dogs though… so much the better.

3 Likes

The leaves/needles and the bark absorb the sound.

There’s been studies on this.

1 Like

well here

Texas state law covering noise is DISORDERLY CONDUCT. It protects against unreasonable noise exceeding 85 decibels following being warned by a magistrate or peace officer.

a single dog can reach 100 dB , and recorded sound levels can range between 85 and 122 dB in kennels.

so maybe talk to the local police

8 Likes

Wait a second, your horses haven’t learned to deal with this in two.entire.years?

What kind of breeding/training are you doing?

7 Likes

Yea, something isn’t right here. 2 years ago any established or long term horses on the property should be use to this. I sometimes have 10-12 plus dogs on my property in training with horses as well as foals and it isn’t as issue. I look at it as a training opportunity for the horses. They acclimate quickly to dogs. At 500 feet they wouldn’t blink an eye. We also have coyotes in packs howling and wandering around everywhere as well.

Op, I think you may be attributing anxiety to dogs when it is stemming else where. After all, isn’t this the point of training? Train a horse to be obedient, lead, etc through distractions? How are you handling the horses when they do spook? How do you correct that?

2 Likes

If the horses are there for training, then honestly I’d expect you as a trainer to be able to navigate through it. I don’t mean that in a snarky way at all, just being realistic. I understand that horses will spook at their own shadow in new environments, but if the horses are running you over from spooking at the dogs, they are going to run you over if they spook at something else. That’s a general training issue. You might try creating a space or round pen area furthest away from the dogs to establish good ground manners and then once you have established that, take them to the other parts of the property. You might also consider putting your breeding area furthest away if you are taking in mares that aren’t necessarily there for training. I think it’s already been mentioned but ear plugs and a radio might help in the foaling barn. Though I must admit, my broodies acclimate to dogs and the foals don’t think twice especially if they hit the ground and the dogs are already there - they don’t know a difference, but they can react to the mares if they are restless. You might try bringing in a safe dog to introduce to horses so they at least know a dog isn’t a danger to them and that the rest is just noise. I’d also consider taking a broodmare in foal over near the dogs to work them through reacting and have them become desensitized to the dogs so they aren’t reactive after they foal.

9 Likes

@clanter beat me to it.

Make noise complaint after noise complaint after noise complaint.

3 Likes

I’m still trying to figure out how this is a problem. I lived in 5 acres and my neighbor on the 10 next door bred argentine dogos and had 45 dogs in kennels on his property. None of the horses on the property ever cared and trust me they were roaring at feeding time. I also lived next to a place called “Lion Country Safari” where horse could hear lions through the trees and never cared. I guess unless they are running a shared fenceline while you are riding or chasing your horses there doesn’t seem like much you can do. Every time I see these types of posts I wonder if the OP would enjoy someone trying to shut down what they are legally allowed to do on thier own property.

12 Likes

Some years back, when I still took care of the hounds for a local hunt, they got hit with a complaint about barking from new neighbors to the kennel.
The staff went out of their way to minimize the noise, installed bark-activated sprinklers (that worked well), sound barriers, etc.

The neighbors continued complaining about the “deafening” sound.
So the hunt paid for engineers to do a 24 hour + noise study, which proved conclusively that the sound generated by cars driving past the complainants’ house was significantly higher than the decibel level of the hounds.

The zoning board finally dismissed the complaint.
But it was a factor in the kennel being relocated a few years later.

16 Likes

In the country a whole host of other of things would be considered a noise violation. Ever heard a baler?

Obviously if they’ve been operating 2 years and OPs complaints have been dismissed, the land owner is not way out of line. Time to buck up and get the horses trained.

6 Likes

What some people don’t seem to understand is that these are not her horses. Her personal horses are pretty much acclimated as she stated. It’s the horses that come in for training from outside customers and mares that come in for breeding and foaling. Again, not her personal horses.

15 Likes

I’m not sure this is the solution you’re looking for, or even a good one, but I’d be tempted to put bark boxes along my property line… I have one for my own dogs that are a little too barky about the neighboring property. I shut it off at night for the GP but it’s done wonders for the “we’re bored and on point” barkers that I own… I haven’t noticed that my horses mind it but it does make a noise when it’s kicked off so maybe would end up being friendly fire… We used this thing at a previous property when the neighbor dog was excessively barky and it worked great. Like I said, this might be a terrible idea but… ?

3 Likes

Irrelevant. If a horse is in for training, I expect “dont run me over or spook and dump me” to be on the list of things to learn. Falls under the reactivity category.

For the first time, the neighbors let their dogs out tonight while I was riding. Barking loudly behind a hedge of arbovitae, about 100 feet from the arena. What did I do? Worked my young horse through it and continued our ride.

This is the country, folks. There’s gunna be tractors and ATVs, gunfire, hogs, cows, you name it. If you don’t like what your neighbor is (currently legally, whether you like it or not OP) doing on their property, you’re free to buy their land. Otherwise, tough cookies. Get to training.

Lots of folks would find horses to be a nuisance. Would you (g) like them to go to the city and police on you (g) all the time? No, and you’d tell them to pound sand.

11 Likes

What is a bark box? (Other than a monthly subscription service for goodies for a dog. And I am guessing that this suggestion is not to put fun but expensive surprises on the property line.)

2 Likes

I run a full board livery yard, I rehab horses, some with severe behavioural issues. I also start and re-start horses.
They aren’t mine, they stay for a few months
I have a huge puppy farm just down the road - oh boy can you hear them!, I also have my own vocal dogs.
We have fighter jets come straight over, we have prop planes and even the odd Hercules come down the length of my land very low, following the river.
Every single horse gets used to all that.
Not one single accident or injury as a result of any of it.

8 Likes

I know these posts do not look as helpful as you think they are, but I do think people are trying to help you.

I think the answer here involves a deep breath and the realization that you will have to work with that situation there, or you will have to move your operation (which clearly is not really an option for most people). So people are trying to tell you that it is not typical to have several accidents because dogs are barking in the distance so maybe it is best to think of what else might be causing these troubles and ways for you to modify your training system so the horses are not afraid of dogs off in the distance.

No one denies you are in a frustrating situation.

10 Likes

Er you can state that with certainty how?
Its an incredibly quiet and peaceful place, so when the dogs down the road kick off its unexpected.
The planes might come over once a month or a couple of times a day. There is absolutely no way of knowing. The jets are on you before you know it and the noise is terrific.
I’ve had horses in to train that would bolt if you started a quad bike near them.
So I’m afraid, much as you just have, I’m going to judge all I like,

8 Likes

I believe you. I tend to not allow my dogs to go with me to the barn when I am going to be working with the horses. Very recently, something alarmed my dogs and they suddenly had a barking episode. I was brushing a horse and it spooked into to me, knocking me down.

2 Likes

I must say, it sounds miserable if the barking is that loud. I guess the only thing to do would be to
see if there are any noise regulations.

Beyond that, I would try the noiseless barking deterrents and see if that gives any relief at all. Have you ever thought about playing classical
music in the barn with the mares and foals?

Aside from that, I can understand what you’re saying about new horses moving in. That would be hard if they’re panicking in their stalls. Barking is always a tough one. I’m assuming that with a kennel, it’s every single day and not just during certain days of the year like a combine or other agricultural things.

I have a kennel nearby as well, but for some reason I barely notice barking. I don’t think it’s a huge kennel, though, but it’s been a great neighbor.

1 Like

All sorts of random noises (regular and one-off) cause horses to spook and knock people over. It’s probably happened to 90 percent of the people on this forum. It certainly has to me.

It’s not just barking dogs that cause this, it’s an unavoidable result of having big prey animals and learning how to work around them safely and teach them to regulate their reactions in as many situations as possible. You’ll never eliminate all the triggers, and why would you try? They are teachable moments that make your horse a safer animal, ultimately.

5 Likes