Grade 3 Osteoarthritis in Knee & Riding?

Bow balance

I have no cartiledge in my right knee and am almost crippled after riding in regular stirrups.

the bow balance changed my life. the other stirrups like them did not work as well. I returned my MDCs.

After many decades of riding endurance on arabs, I am HAPPY to have a gaited horse. A rocky. I still have a tad of knee pain, but the next morning, I do not have it. My body just doesn’t have those pains from riding a trotting horse. I do ride with the EZ ride plastic stirrups, english saddle, sheepskin seat cover, running shoes. I use a mounting block getting on or off. My horse knows to move over and be patient. She is very light on her aids, and very light off the leg. She has a really nice comfy 4 beat amble. Kinda like what my QH did when he jogged, but she is faster in mph. But still very comfy. No posting, just pretty much a sitting trot if you want to call it something.

Good Luck!

[QUOTE=D Taylor;6360012]
Nope,sorry been there. Walkers, Fox trotters, gaited Morgans, SB’s, Rockies… I have ridden them. I care not to thanks. Unless I get paid, then I ride them. I’ll keep my WTC horses.[/QUOTE]

I had a period when my OA/RA was REALLY bad and I was being told to lay off the riding. Now I love horses and couldn’t stand the thought of that. I leased a beautiful gaited horse and it was an unbelievable experience. Did alot of trail riding at great speeds and no pain!!!It took me about a year to really get my weight low and strength the knee and it’s surrounding muscles.
I am now back on WTC horse have very few things I can’t do.

this is not directed to you but I could never not ride and have no snobish view towards gaited horses if it keeps me with a horse in my life.

[QUOTE=2113;6557606]
I had a period when my OA/RA was REALLY bad and I was being told to lay off the riding. Now I love horses and couldn’t stand the thought of that. I leased a beautiful gaited horse and it was an unbelievable experience. Did alot of trail riding at great speeds and no pain!!!It took me about a year to really get my weight low and strength the knee and it’s surrounding muscles.
I am now back on WTC horse have very few things I can’t do.

this is not directed to you but I could never not ride and have no snobish view towards gaited horses if it keeps me with a horse in my life.[/QUOTE]

Then why post your last statement using a word such as snobbish?

You simply could have asked me why I care not for gaited horses for I have ridden several breeds. I would have shared as I did via PM to the other person. And the reason I used a PM was out of respect for the OP…so the thread did not turn into a gaited horse debate and stayed on track on OA.

I have bone on bone in one knee and heavy duty arthritis in the other. So what do I do? I go and buy a 5 year old Appy that is a good 17:3. I’m short! What was I thinking?!
I ride almost everyday but I have to take my three or four Advil first thing in the morning and then wait for them to kick in before I go out to feed everybody. Sometimes after i take the dogs for a hobble,as I like to call it,since my gait can hardly be called a walk, i will add a 1/2-1 tramadol as well. Which helps. If that doesn’t work I will add 1 Tylenol which almost always does the trick. This usually last me until late in the afternoon but if it doesn’t I take Curcumin( tumeric) to help lessen the pain. I use to take Advil at night but I find it really doesn’t do much for me so I try hard not to do it.
I have found swimming helps as does keeping my leg strength up. I have been lifting weights and bike riding as much as I can but there are days when it just hurts to much. I could always take more of the Advil/tramadol combination but I figure if I hurt that much then I need to sit down,apply lots of Ice to my knees and hope that tomorrow will be better.
Good luck and I wish you many pain free days.