Unlimited access >

HackneyPeeps, I may be Hooked 😍

I know anyone, any breed can wreck.
But having this alleged pony in the same ring with actual Smalls, Mediums, Larges & especially the minis is concerning.

Interesting about Capt Kirk.
I read somewhere (here?) his riding skills were subpar.
Maybe easier to handle his “girth” in a cart?

FGS is asking me to drive again, but weather - hot & humid - makes me decline.
I admit I’m tempted, as now he’s driving outdoors, on their track, just across the road.

I don’t think that he is a particularly bad rider- especially at his age. He’s still riding reining horses. However, he is a MUCH better driver. Several very fancy fine harness stallions over the years- including Revival, Call Me Ringo, and Renaissance Man’s Medici. And, of course, the road horses.

3 Likes

2Dogs -
Good for you!

I drove the road pony at my barn early this spring; I haven’t done much him since then. It was interesting. He was really, really light. A couple times I thought I might die… or fall out the back.

There was a plan for me to show him in the Amateur class this fall…who knows might still happen. I finally mastered show pleasure with a big horse last weekend; we got through a class without a canter. :crazy_face: OK, he did break a couple steps.

If you want real fun - drive in a jog cart with a walking boot! Took a little bit to figure out how to make that work!

The bikes with a bench seat aren’t bad in & out. A new jog cart with an actual seat showed up. I felt better because the trainer who’s 10 years younger and fit was as graceless as I was getting out. The apron almost killed us. That disappeared at the horse show…

@red_mares
Agreed, pony was very light on the lines.
Not sure what you mean by “apron”.
Is that what FGS calls the Basket?
Added to his show cart for Pleasure classes, removed for Road.
Cart with basket:

I’ll see your Walking Boot & raise you 2 arthritic knees that no longer have full flexion :expressionless:
The work cart I drove has a nice, flat bench seat, but getting in means getting both legs at the height of that seat & then into the stirrups.
In surprised me with my ability to do so.
Out required FGS to steady the pony while I worked my way out.
For the record:
FGS is 35 - so literally 1/2 my age - gets into & out of the cart with acrobatic ease :smirk:

1 Like

He’s a cutie. Nice long neck.

The apron is used on a road bike to keep dirt from being thrown up on you. Goes from the cross bar to below the seat. It’s a triangle or trapezoid piece of pleather. So instead of just putting your leg over the seat, it has to go in specific hole (although it’s a big hole). Another trainer said he doesn’t use it; he likes to be able to bail out without worrying about catching it on the way out. I agree with him.

I’ll raise your arthritic knees, an arthritic neck and crappy shoulders. The pony’s light, but the horse I drive keeps trying to pull Christ off the cross. I finally got my PT a picture so he understood why I was a mess every Monday. He just rolled his eyes…again. Like I tell Mom - Isn’t it great being 40? :laughing: I got my handicapped parking permit long before she did.

Trainer is about the same age as your FGS, which is what made his lack of agility so funny. He’s fit, just not graceful.

No one’s crashed, but last show, my horse went up the first time he went into the make-up ring. Next day, another horse in the class was off his feet in the make-up ring. This was for an amateur class. After a while, it’s no big deal.

2 Likes

Did you check out the new thread in the Endurance forum? A 12 year old girl on a 12.2 Hackney not only completed the 100 miles but came in a very respectable 36th. Her mother rode alongside her on a 16.3 Saddlebred.

4 Likes

Isn’t he?
Always takes the Blue in Halter classes.

OK, I know what you mean by the apron - show cart has that, basket covers it when installed.

Ouch on your neck & shoulders.
For all I know I have arthritisized (word?) there too, knees just scream loudest.

NTYVM on Hackney Gymnastics :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Those boogers can get some air when they want to!
I had FGS try a full harness on my pony - after I’d been ground-driving him in my cobbled-together surcingle/bridle/lines - asked to step off he airlifted.
All four off the ground with at least 2’ of space between him & the ground.

Worst crash Ive seen - aside from runaways outside the arena - was FGS’s mare.
She was a jaw-dropping mover & he let a lady (who doesn’t know how much she doesn’t know) drive her as a Roadster.
She chose to ignore his advice to trot directly into the lineup where he would be there to head her, kept asking mare to walk & instead got Straight Up & Over. :roll_eyes:

@Brown_Derby Hackneys are the prototype for the Energizer Bunny.
Off to look at that thread…

2 Likes

She chose to ignore his advice to trot directly into the lineup where he would be there to head her, kept asking mare to walk & instead got Straight Up & Over. :roll_eyes:

Yep, they go somewhere. If it isn’t forward, it’s up. Take your pick.

2 Likes

I had a long tail pony, who was crosstied in his stall lose his sh&* one day, and start leaping up and down, trying to pull the cross ties out. He didn’t have any equipment on him at all. He was just leaping and kicking, and jerking his head around. Unfortunately fifteen year old me was trapped in the back of the stall. He finally stopped, and just stood there. Fortunately, neither one of us was hurt.

Then there was the road pony stud who really just did not want to work. He decided that if he threw himself on the ground, and trashed the harness, he wouldn’t have to. Trainer disagreed, and whooped on him, and then got him up, and put his harness back together. Pony never did stop doing it, but he did stop with her. He was really adorable. And bad.

3 Likes

Glad your teen self escaped that.
Heart pounding for sure! :astonished:

Yup, both sound like textbook Hackney Brain.
I swear you can smell smoke when they get focused :smirk:
I believe they think quicker than us puny humans :unamused:

@2DogsFarm , you know we’d love to see videos of your shows if you have them. Hackney or mini or horse makes no difference. I’m interested.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

No video of me & Hackney, but a friend videoed my winning class at Fair just last week :grin:
If you’re on FB I can PM the info.
I have tried copying the video & being technologically inept, can’t seem to get it done. :persevere:

Darn. I’m not on facebook.Thanks for trying though.

1 Like