Unlimited access >

Halter need and trail riding?

Another here who suggests you learn to rise to the trot.

The reason halter horses don’t usually ride is because most of their owners don’t ride.

He could be a bit rough because he needs to find his balance and build strength but he could also just be a bit rough at the jog. If so you can always post on the trails or two point, even western.

I am a great believer in that you don’t ride papers so give him a job and enjoy him.

Halter horses are not good riding horses for a few reasons. They are bred to have small hooves, short upright pasterns. The small hooves are not good for weight bearing and the posty pasterns are a rough ride. Seems a waste to breed a horse that isnt useful for its life span.

[QUOTE=China Doll;8171661]
Halter horses are not good riding horses for a few reasons. They are bred to have small hooves, short upright pasterns. The small hooves are not good for weight bearing and the posty pasterns are a rough ride. Seems a waste to breed a horse that isnt useful for its life span.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you in principle but halter people breed for halter classes, not performance, and a halter horse that shows well in halter (if nothing else) can be useful for his lifespan if he’s winning.

I don’t believe in breeding just for halter and not for performance, but your logic within your logic is faulty, China Doll. If a halter horse is useful as a halter horse, he’s useful.

Not that that has anything to do with OP’s OP.

You could try putting some front shoes on him.

Also I wouldn’t worry about him getting too beefy, if anything it looks like he could use a few pounds.

No reason why he cant be a trail riding horse . He is pretty downhill so your schooling exercises should focus on teaching him to shift his balance to his hindquarters . There are lots of good exercises to be found on line for western horses.

Good luck with him, have fun!

[QUOTE=Appsolute;8167444]
Can’t be any worse than the broodmare page - check out “Shez Not Guilty”. She has the most horrifying hind quarters + post legs + roach back that I have ever seen. (interestingly enough, she is now owned by a beef cattle breeder).

http://www.clarkrassi.com/main.html[/QUOTE]

I need eye bleach:eek:. While I have a mare with Impressive breeding and she does look a little stocky (14.3 hh) she is no where near the conformational nightmare those mares are.

OP, my mare was breed for halter and her former owner bought her as a weanling and showed her in halter for a couple of years before being trained under saddle at 3 yo. I bought her at 5 yo. for DH because she was very low-key and closer to the ground. She is a decent trail horse and I have worked on her jog so it’s not like riding a pogo stick.

If you have papers they should have the HYPP status on them. Kid Clu, if I remember correctly, is double Impressive. If the papers don’t have the HYPP status, you should have him tested. Because that is a whole 'nother ball of wax in terms of care and safety. Sorry, didn’t mean to de-rail.

OP, I’ve been following this thread (there’s a lot of information, eh?) and I just wanted to pop in and say that I like your horse. He needs some wei8ght, but he definitely doesn’t look like a typical halter bred horse. As soon as I saw your photos of him, I immediately thought he moreso resembled a Thoroughbred fresh off the track. He looks a little tucked up.

For a trail horse, he’ll be fine. Sometimes, the rough trot can be smoothed out a bit if you teach them how to carry themselves better… but sometimes, you’re just luck to find a horse with a jackhammer of a trot. If he’s calm and willing, and you learn to post, there’s no reason you two won’t have a blast on any trails.