Unlimited access >

Hand position in Dressage

Yes, unfortunately. The owner isn’t really riding much either. There is a real push for progress . I was hoping with this dressage coach, I could find some leeway. I hadn’t done a clinic with her in years and was hoping that maybe her methods would work for the horse I’m riding. I think we had some really good moments, but I also think the low hands and more rein than I normally use encouraged the horse to give into rein pressure, which is kind of a bummer given I was having the horse move up into the bit not too long ago. I am not sure how to convey this to the owner though because I think she really wants to work with this coach.

At a certain point you need to consider if there are too many cooks in the kitchen and if you can continue being useful in this particular ride.

6 Likes

You say you need eyes on the ground - maybe ask for mirrors in the school if there are none. Cheaper and more effective than a trainer confusing you and the horse!!

3 Likes

I absolutely agree and have kind of beat around the bush about this topic when speaking with the owner, but ultimately it is her choice in the matter and I want to respect that. The best I can do is just be honest about what I’m seeing/experiencing on my end. Occasionally, it’s just a matter of frustration for me because I always want to do what is best for the horse. I know that always differs based on someone’s experiences though.

But anyways, a little off topic. I’ll have to have a conversation with the owner on this coach and my thoughts on it. She can make the decision based on that. I think the other trainer is coming back soon anyways and we could see if that is a better fit before committing to any one trainer.

^^ This. I have found that the sweet spot is riding from the elbows. The hands will then fall into place.

4 Likes

So, riding a low-necked quarter horse, I COULD see being told the ride with lower hands if the horse has a lower neck. If my hands get high, the hand-to-bit line is broken and my downhill, low necked horse starts bracing. She’s also a very crooked wiggle worm that wants to hang on the left rein and avoid contact on the right if she can get away with it, so I have to go a bit wide in the warm up until I get her more forward and straighter. So I’d say, in my Training Level expert opinion (:upside_down_face:), that it can have its uses.

Ultimately though, it’s whether it helps the horse. As long as you are riding the hind end forward into the contact and there’s no pulling back or holding, I’d assume your hands should pretty much be as high as your horse needs them to be for their level of training. If the horse you are riding curls, I wonder if the coach is trying to give you something to work with while it figures consistent contact out. I can see high hands on a western-trained horse causing more curling, where lower, wider hands can give them a sort of funnel to learn to move into where the contact isn’t being inadvertently dropped when they curl (which I can see reinforcing the curling). Not talking like, Art2Ride low wide hands though where their hands are basically at their knees. I also know some western horses that are taught raised hand = drop the head and give to the bit, which can lead to curling.

2 Likes

Do you think sometimes we overthink things?

5 Likes

That’s actually a really good point and I’m not really sure why I hadn’t fully considered it that way! Especially on the western trained method and high hands!

Oh certainly :joy: Anxiety, I’m telling you! Honestly, I just like to think things over before I make actions on them and everyone here is so knowledgeable!

I am really curious about the high vs. low hands though, which is why I asked the question. I’ve had several trainers over the years and each one has had a different stance on the topic. I was just curious is all.

1 Like

“Sitting on the pockets” sounds like a driving seat. Although in my lesson this past week, my trainer was talking to me about how my pelvis was rotated down and blocking the forward motion. I wonder if the trainer was using a visual to discuss pelvis angle rather than truly wanting you to sit on your pockets?

Sit on your pockets is often used to correct pelvis angle. Nobody actually needs or wants to have their seat curled that far under (I hope!). It just means don’t sit on your crotch, which is an all too frequent occurrence for some riders; sitting on the crotch with lower back hollow. So you are correct that the trainer was using a visual to discuss pelvis angle.

5 Likes