Unlimited access >

Happy scratch reflex becomes weird tic?

My two year old filly recently discovered the joys of the tween-teat cleaning - previously she had offered a half-hearted cow kick if I tried, more a register of sensitivity (I think it tickled) than anything malicious. Not sure what changed, but she is a convert now and will nearly fold in half with delight while I’m cleaning her out. She even plants her hinds far apart so I have unlimited access! I use either baby oil or baby lotion to loosen all the gunk first, then I use soft paper towels to wipe all the excess off once the gunk is gone. This last time she seemed extra itchy, so I also applied an OTC cortisone cream to the cleaned area, just in case there was any irritation or left over itchies. Don’t know if it helped or not, but it made me feel better!

1 Like

Update - she really was just that itchy. Poor horse :frowning:

With the regular bag balm, she now barely makes a face when I clean. So, the entertainment value is gone, but she definitely feels better.

I now feel horrible that I didn’t think to use it years ago.

5 Likes

But what if she COULD purr?!? How sweet would that be?!? :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Haptic feedback is nice.

My friend has greyhounds and they “knit” with their teeth when they are happy being scratched. I love it.