Unlimited access >

Hard Seated Saddles

It’s here! It is even lovelier in person. BUT, I am worried that it is not really that much wider than my current saddle. :frowning_face: Pictures on the horse tomorrow…unless we determine it is absolutely a NO fit-wise.

that’s a shame. Fingers crossed for you that it fits.

I don’t know who is waiting to see/hear, and I haven’t heard back from my saddler yet, but we are pretty confident that this is a no.IMG_3168.HEIC (1.6 MB) IMG_3170.HEIC (1.7 MB)

Ugh. Yeah, too tight.

1 Like

If you see another hard seated saddle to try, don’t be afraid of them.
Most cowboying saddles are hard seated. I’ve ridden in them for 12+ hours at a time. Same with hard seated cutting saddles. A padded seat will sore me, especially a suede covered one that you tend to stick too. I’d rather have a bit of slide.

PS, based on your picture alone, your bar angle looks too steep on the saddle you tried.

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s what we (my barn mates and I) thought, too. We tried on my friend’s Martin all -around for comparison, and it was a much better fit—it definitely had a flatter angle. Frustrating because I sent the saddle shop all my pics and tracings before they sent the current one.

This is the all-around:

IMG_3199.HEIC (2.1 MB)

1 Like

Are you sure you did the tracings correctly? I actually paid a saddle fitter to come out and do the tracings and pictures because I was so afraid of getting it wrong trying to do it myself.

Still no guarantee, I know and as I have heard elsewhere there is no " standard" size on western trees as far as angle, gullet and shoulder fit or how it fits along the back( probably saying that wrong) ,even with measurements . So frustrating.

Second saddle does look much better.

I agree, the Martin fits better.

I should have been clearer in my response. I have had a fitter out. She did all the measurements and tracings. She sent them to the saddle shop, and they have worked together before.

I know it’s a crap shoot, but this wasn’t even close.

Thanks for looking. Still waiting on the fitter’s comments. I’m hoping that will help us find something comparable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not a huge Martin fan so I don’t keep up on the trees they use. But I’m sure you could find something comparable, however you might want to take note on the gullet size of the Martin you tried as their saddles come anywhere from a 6.5"- 7.5". Regardless the flatter bars look like they will suit your horse better.

1 Like

That is disappointing! Guess it really depends on who looks at your tracings…

1 Like

Thanks for commiserating, candyappy! I know it’s not simple, but I guess I wanted it to be. LOL. Onward… I am going to be trying to measure the bar angle of my current saddle and my friend’s saddle to see if that helps us narrow down the choices.

It can be simple. I have 1 horse who you can just throw a saddle on and it fits . The other 2 , no :unamused:

1 Like