Unlimited access >

Hard to keep gelding with cushing's disease

It was awhile back, but I think it was by Progressive.

What kind of senior feed is he on? Purina Equine Senior is not terribly high calorie per pound, as it’s designed to be fed more as a complete feed. Triple Crown, Purina Healthy Edge Senior, Nutrena ProForce Senior, etc are more of a “feed” feed and tend to pack more calories per pound than classic Equine Senior.

My 20 yo QH mare with Insulin Resistance / Cushings got really thin and ratty looking during the excessive heat we had in July. Per my vet’s instructions, we increased her Prascend dosage. Five weeks later, she is starting to look a little better. So, I would have a chat with your vet about rechecking his blood and ACTH levels and consider upping the Prascend dosage, even if only for a few weeks.

I also switched to dosing my mare with her meds to make Absolutely Sure she was getting a full dose. She has clever lips and would sometimes leave a pill in the bottom of the bucket.

This is such an individual disease / condition - what works for one horse may have no impact on another. Each has to be monitored and treated individually.

Star

First I would get current bloodwork if you haven’t to know what his acth/ Leptin insulin and glucose numbers are -this way you will know if you are giving the proper dose of Prascend…they can become hard keepers and loose condition topline if the PPID isn’t controlled … As for feed …I’ve been giving Triple crown senior with TC 30 ration Balencer …you could also add Speedibeet or Fibrebeet