Unlimited access >

Has anyone here flown their horse(s)?

Does anyone here have any personal experience having a horse shipped by air? I’m looking into flying mine from Austin to near Seattle. I have four horses now, so there’s a decent element of “bulk purchase discount” involved. I could fly the four of them in those narrow little horse-trailer type stalls for 18k, or I could have them all shipped by truck in a “special” shipment (they would be the only horses on board, on a direct transport) via Equine Express, in 8x9 box stalls, for 13k.

Travelling by air, point-to-point transportation time looks to be about 12-14 hours, compared to “two or three days” by truck. If they go in the truck, they stay in the truck the whole time and the truck only stops to feed and water and change drivers. So it basically never stops moving.

I’m thinking that the flight would be pretty stressful, but I’m also starting to think that half a day’s worth of a fair amount of stress, compared two to three days never stopping in a truck, might be better for them. Two of them are senior horses, and one of those seniors is basically being held together with bubble gum and prayers at this point (very bad stifle; she’s totally pasture sound but she basically has nothing left of that joint).

I’m wondering if anyone has any personal experience flying their horse(s) that they’d be willing to share? Do you think it was the right decision? Did it seem to be OK for the horses?

I can’t answer your question abour flying them, but I have moved a senior horse long distance by air ride truck. I don’t think it was as long as what you are talking about, but it was halfway across the country, from the Denver area to South Carolina. He was on the trailer for 36 hours straight, and arrived acting like he was ready to go do it again. He was well into his 30s when I moved him. I used Brookledge, but I think Equine Express is very comparable.

The drivers fussed over him and said he really seemed to enjoy the experience. He was in a box stall due to his age; I wanted him to be able to lie down.

He lived a couple more years after I got him to South Carolina.

Rebecca

7 Likes

I used to groom for my kid and would sit and listen to the grooms who worked for the “big names” in 3-Day --Ian Starke’s groom spoke about flying horses to various locations --at that time (10 years ago) one simply called Fed-X who came with a special “box” on a trailer. Horse was loaded into it much like a horse trailer. The horse was then taken to the airport and the box was lifted on to the plane. After landing, the horse was taken in the box to quarantine or the show venue where he was unloaded from the box. The groom (one) could travel free with the horse and Fed-X provided one veterinarian on board the plane for every 3 horses travelling. I believe there are YouTube videos and one Dick Francis book --about a veterinarian who flies with various horses.

1 Like

if you are considering this there is not a finical barrier, the cost difference is marginal

to me 12-14 hours would be the way to go otherwise you will have “two or three days” of unending worry/concern that would be heart wrenching

3 Likes

I have flown with horses across the Atlantic 4 times (back and forth) when I was an FEI CDE groom. I also flew with the FEI stadium jumpers/dressage horses one of those summers since they were short staffed for air grooms and I was in Europe for the summer and needed a free ride home so I made a phone call to get on a plane :wink:

I have flown in 100% cargo style planes as well as cargo/passenger planes. Air El Al, KLM, and Lufthansa.

There was never a vet with me on board. One groom per 3 horses usually, but a few times it was me with 4 and a dog. And the l last time I flew with the jumpers it was myself and 4 other grooms with 20+ horses coming home from after CHIO Aachen. That was a fun flight. We were busy and I got to hang out with Sapphire!

They always rode in a three abreast container that is similar to a tag along trailer. There is space in the front for hay nets, extra nets, water and a bucket.

The ride generally feels like being in a trailer. (yes, I have riden in Brookledge’s air ride trailers in the back as well)

Take off and landing are steeper than going up or down a hill and I like to have 3 horses in the container because they can lean on the sides better (they go to the floor). When I have seen trouble, its when the horses have more “wiggle room”.

For the most part, they handle the trip no problem. I ALWAYS have a bag of carrots with me. Their ears pop like ours does and once you capt. haves permission to move around I always pop into the horses container and give carrots so they swallow.

Every hour - hour and a half I will offer water.

Its fun when you are on a plane with people and you disappear into the back of the plane and come back covered in hay. They have no clue there are horses on board.

Most of the time I have flown with cargo and its just you, other grooms and the flying crew. Those are the best flights.

I also have experience with hauling 13+ hours in a trailer up and down the East Coast. Being on the road is much more stressful. Its longer, loud, hot, smells bad with pollution from other cars, and I feel rougher on their bodies since they have to ‘ride the road’. When they fly, they just stand except for landing and take off as long as there is on rough skies and even when there is, just for short periods of time.

Have them wear really secure bell boots. I have used shipping boots, bell boots are fine for most horses. Do not sedate them.

5 Likes

Some years ago i purchased a mare in the Santa Barbara area and needed to get her to Florida. Decided to look into flying. She had to be trailered to LAX then got on the plane to W. Palm Beach airport and then trailered to outside Orlando. It was a full day but she arrived fresh and calm.
I dont think flying generally stresses the horses (based on talking to people who have flown with them) but when you do compare the cost side, be sure to find out what airports the shipper uses and how much extra it will cost to get them to/from the airport.

2 Likes

More info here Shipping a horse via air, domestically

1 Like

I would absolutely fly them if the extra $5k is doable. It’s quieter, smoother, and so much less travel time, which I think is the hardest part for them. They don’t know they’re in the air.

I have only flown horses one way when imported and have never flown with them so I defer to @MunchingonHay’s experiences there, but I used Equine Express to ship between Houston and Maryland several times when I was in college. What they generally did was pick the horses up in smaller trailers and overnight them at their facility, then load into the big rig the next morning. There were always some weird detours for other horses and it took much longer than just a point-to-point trip, but if you book the entire trailer that’s probably moot. My horse did get injured on the trailer once in Tennessee and they had to stop at a vet. That was a stressful phone call! They said he got his hind legs over the divider somehow, which is weird because he was always a good traveler. Overall my experiences with them were good though. I just think you’ll be much happier with the shorter travel time.

2 Likes

I flew my horse from CA to FL and back and am so glad I did that vs drive. One day of stress (him) and worry (me) vs almost a week. The cost for me was $7k for each flight vs $4.5k to ground ship. I’d definitely fly them if you can for a distance like that. My horse arrived in good shape both times. I think he’d have been much more tired and worn out on the road for a week.

5 Likes