Unlimited access >

Hay sticker shock

I just read this about the situation in Canada:
“There’s a lot of crop that’s going backwards right now,” said Lewis, who grows canola, cereal grains and pulses at his farm in Gray, Sask. “In many cases, it’s beyond the point of no return. There’ll be acres in Western Canada that will have zero crop come off, zero yield.”

His best guess, at this point, is that crop yields in Saskatchewan will fall by 25 per cent compared to last year. If the plus-30-degree heat continues as forecast, those losses might be as bad as 50 per cent.

“That’s billions of dollars of revenue,” he said.

Sustained record-breaking heat, droughts and wildfires across the Prairies and British Columbia this month are wreaking havoc on food production in Canada, with farmers reporting stunted crops, cherries cooking on trees and 80-per-cent mortality rates at some commercial shellfish operations.

Burnt pastures have left ranchers with little for their cattle to graze, forcing them to dip into winter feed stocks and consider shrinking their herd by sending cattle, even prized breeding cows, to slaughter."

1 Like

That is very sad

1 Like

often ranchers here will relocate their herds (or least a core) out of the area by leasing ranches elsewhere

The cost of fencing has gone up dramatically as well! No place to find relief.

1 Like

I’m in Manitoba - very bad here, most producers are getting less than half their average crop, dug outs are dry, pastures that normally feed cattle into late fall are barren. Grain and oil seed crops are looking bad too. Grass hoppers are eating whatever the drought hasn’t burnt to a crisp. Local auction house that generally doesn’t even bother to have cattle sales this time of year had a sale last week with 950 head cause farmers have no feed to keep them. This is the 4th dry year and no one has any reserves left.

@candyappy and according to my hay guy, twine for next year is expected to be 40% more.

And don’t have a piece of equipment have a part break. You might not be able to find it in stock.

1 Like

@Heinz_57 in your situation, I would put down a tarp, some pallets and stack what ever I would need to make it until June and cover it it with more tarps Placing pallets on top of the hay before covering with a tarp can help with air circulation. I’d feed that hay first and then go into the stuff that’s in the barn.

4 Likes

Well thanks for that info! I think twine is up a bit from last year already :astonished:

While I am thankful to have hay, we just cut a section and when my son went to bale last evening he found the monitor went out. We have an older round baler so nothing anywhere to replace it.

Of course on this field the yields are huge and now we have to square bale it all. Put 170 in the loft last night and my husband said that didn’t even make a dent in it! It is also unbearably hot and humid which wears everyone out.

We will just keep at it until we either get it up or we get rain.

1 Like

Bad here. I guess it was one of the worst auctions of people dropping off horses at the sale. Lines of trailers into the road. Horse prices are down. We are paying 160 for good quality horse hay last year. People are selling moldy cow hay for 250 a ton. I see hay for 350-400 a ton. People haven’t started their 2nd cutting yet. I also see people panicking on FB for horse hay. Getting it trucked in from Canada, WA, CO

That is sad when people start selling their animals because they worry about being able to feeding them. I hope things improve.

4 Likes

This always puzzles me because no cow that I ever have had will eat anything but good hay! My horses eat everything I give them but my cows have a finicky palate!

1 Like

our spoiled horses, if the hay falls to the ground then that hay is for the goats I am pretty sure that is what they think

Nevertheless, we have developed a plan on who gets what in what order… I just bit my lip when I see the grand daughters grabbing flakes of hay for their goats from The Horse’s Hay

Hay around here has not been cheap for well over a decade so most every one has adjusted to expect to pay dearly for it (too bad it is not figured into the cost of living adjustments)

Well here it is " our spoiled goats" !! We clean out all the goats feeders and feed that back to the horses who eat every scrap. They get regular non- goat hay as well but it saves on waste. I do not feed soiled hay off the ground though . Even they would turn their nose up at that.

Even when you bale your own hay , you try everything you can to not waste :slight_smile:

1 Like

not soiled as each horse has been trained by the lead mare to go over there in THAT corner of the field to do THAT , just ground contact onto the nice green grass…then its suddenly becomes Goat Hay. Nothing is wasted as if the grand kid’s goats do not eat it then it raked up to give to the poor goats next door who will eat anything

2 Likes

We have 3 fields. Because of the rain, we are cutting it piecemeal and haven’t completed the first cutting yet.

Others, who take care of their equipment, have their first cutting done and are waiting for the second.

Our last drought was about 10 years ago - I was lucky enough to get enough hay the year before to ride it out. But if I hadn’t, I don’t know what I would have done. Farmers were pooling money to import hay from the Gulf Coast and dumping cattle for pennies a pound. It was bad.

1 Like

So we have some heat and humidity in the summer and some ice or snow in the winter. Boohoo. But we just bought 2cd cut clean green grass hay 60+ lb bales for $4. And I saw pure alfalfa in the paper for $5. And spring and fall here are to die for. 1,000 lb rounds are usually $30. I’m not trading places. I’m staying put.

1 Like

Whereabouts are you? I’m moving in lol

6 Likes

I just put up a little over 4 tons of hay the past couple days; timothy and alfalfa. I paid right at $400 a ton. The timothy I hauled myself, the alfalfa I had delivered. I have NEVER, in all my years of buying hay, paid this much.
My usual hay guy - who brought my alfalfa - said they lost 800 acres of hay due to the water shortage. He’s already having to put out hay for his cattle.
My secondary hay guy had to close up shop today to go make a water haul to his cattle, who are out on summer range.

This is awful. Pray for a snowy winter, with a great snowpack.

1 Like

@Obsidian_Fire
I hear you! Just put 5 tons of orchard in the barn, used a new supplier for me, although he supplies hay to my trainer’s barn so I knew it was consistent and high quality. I got a bargain at $350/ton (108lb bales). Horses love it! Bright, green, sweet smelling, fine stemmed, lovely! I then bought a ton from my regular hay guy–$390 for 19 bales. Looked good, 2nd cut orchard, green and fairly fine. However…my horses hate it. Just pick at it and look at me like I’m torturing them. Even my piglet-eat-everything-I-see gelding is turning up his nose at this hay! I am forcing them to eat it all now before I break into the “good stuff”. I am seriously considering selling it and going back to hay guy #1 for a replacement ton.

Both suppliers said to get hay NOW as prices will skyrocket as the supply dwindles. Good luck, folks.

2 Likes

Our local alfalfa is the highest it has been at 13$ for 68# bales, 382$ a ton.