Unlimited access >

Healing bed sores

what can be done to help heal a bed sore on the hip of my horse? his back end is a bit bony so he is getting a rub from laying down on the point of his hip on one side. is there a product I can use to cover it with to assist healing? maybe there is a bandage that can stick on the area to protect from further friction rubs? hmm

Very deep bedding will help

5 Likes

I used elasticon (sp?) tape for my gelding’s hip rubs which protected them and helped them heal while I got more weight on him.

1 Like

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/elastikon-bandage-tape-10835

is this the tape that you are talking about? do you put anything on the rub between it at the tape to keep the tape from pulling on it when you remove it?
thanks

thanks. I have been adding more bedding to his stall. in his paddock he enjoys laying on the hard dirt so that make it tricky out there… ideally he would just choose his nice soft shelter :slight_smile: but nope. haha

Yes, that’s the stuff. If it wasn’t raw/bleeding/scabby, I didn’t put anything under it. If I thought it would stick to the actual wound, I sprayed it with AluShield first. Then I leave the tape on until it basically falls off on its own.

1 Like

I may try the Elastikon bandage tape on one of my horses. He has rubbed sores on his belly and I’ve been going through various treatments trying to get them to heal. This horse scratches his belly by rubbing back and forth on the ground after he rolls. The first time I saw it, I thought he was having trouble getting up. Nope, just scratching. Three of the sores are just bald spots, one is an abrasion about 1 1/2 inches diameter, and one is about the size of a quarter. I thought about putting duct tape on him, but that’s not sticky enough to stay on when he rubs. I treated the open sores with a gentamicin/dexamethasone spray to quiet the itch, and I’ve been covering that with AluShield. This evening I put Bickmore’s Gall Salve on the sores. If this doesn’t work I’ll try the Elastikon. And if that doesn’t work I’m all out of ideas.

Back decades ago before ivermectin my horse did that because he had onchocerca. The belly sores were from the larva and were very itchy. But you may be dealing with gnat allergies like sweet itch where the gnats are biting his midline. He will keep itching them until the gnat problem is solved. So look out for that too.

2 Likes

If gnats are the problem, my vet recommended desitin for the belly and it worked really well - softened the scabs from the bites, soothes the itchiness, and deters the gnats so no more bites.

1 Like

Yes, I do think gnats and flies are the problem. I’ve been spraying him but we all know how well that keeps flies off. I had not thought of Desitin, and I’ll definitely try that. Thanks COTHers.

1 Like

Neem oil helps w the gnats and heals the sores
I finally started doing allergy shots subq for my really itchy guy.