Unlimited access >

Heart palpitations

I guess palpitations are what I have, though I don’t think a doctor actually said the word to me. I spent a night in the hospital (like 10 years ago) feeling like I was having a heart attack, then when they stopped in the morning I had an echo and a stress test (so useful when symptoms are not occurring!) I got a prescription for metoprolol 12.5 mg that I take when I feel like my heart’s going to beat out of my chest or I get this weak and shaky feeling. I went a long time without taking it, now I’ve needing it several times in the last 2 weeks.

I may be nearing menopause, but not 10 years ago. I do not believe I’ve ever had symptoms on a horse.

I get these when I stop supplementing magnesium. No problems as long as I take it every day.

I take this one: https://www.amazon.com/Integrative-Therapeutics-Tri-Magnesium-Metabolism-Production/dp/B0031WZB9O

2 Likes

I already supplement Magnesium (and a few other things along with a multivitamin) and all of the electrolytes were in proper ranges on my bloodwork

But that may be something for OP to have tested (they tested those plus thyroid and kidney function and glucose level)

Did they say PVCs? Premature ventricular contractions?

Annoyingly… one of the things that can make them worse is worrying about them. (Anxiety.)

If it has gotten worse and is constant I would be back on the phone with the doctor. You might want another check or a second opinion.

FWIW, I have to supplement THAT magnesium specifically. If I try another, even if the dose is the same/more, it doesn’t work. Dunno why, but it’s happened enough that I’ve stopped screwing around and just buy that specific one :woman_shrugging:

They haven’t said what it is yet. I wore the monitor last weekend and they called me yesterday to book a follow up consult with the cardiologist. Appointment is on Wednesday.

I have anxiety, so all winter I’ve just been brushing off the pounding / fluttering heart as anxiety, upping my meds, going back to counselling…mentally I feel great now but the palpitations continue. It was like a lightbulb when I realized I maybe wasn’t having palpitations from anxiety, but feel anxious because of palpitations.

Funnily enough they weren’t my main concern when I went to my family dr. I called her because over the past month I’ve been getting numerous warnings from my Apple Watch that my heart rate is dipping below 50 for at least 10 minutes at a time. My normal resting heart rate at 52 is already pretty low for someone my age who is overweight and not particularly active, but it’s always been low. I am on thyroid meds and an SSRI, so am guessing it’s probably related to one of those, but my dr didn’t want to just assume without checking first to make sure there was nothing more serious behind it.

The palpitations aren’t worse when I exercise, in fact if I’m busy doing things I can easily ignore them. It’s when I’m lying down or sitting at my desk that they are really noticeable and annoying.

Several years ago, I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. I had a couple episodes where I was just sitting there and my heart took off (fast heart rate, heart pounding). I went to the ER and by the time I got there my heart had returned to normal. They referred me to a cardiologist who diagnosed the MVP.

It’s a mild heart condition but does cause palpitations. I take a low dose beta blocker (metaprolol) every day. It definitely helps the palpitations. I don’t have to take it every day but I usually do because the palpitations are worse without it. Caffeine and stress can also cause palpitations.

Interesting several brought up magnesium. By chance, do any of you w the palpitations take acid reflux meds? I ask because our neighbor was and starting having those same symptoms. Doc prescribed mag as something about acid blockers and calcium?

As long as I take mag daily I don’t get the calf cramp - R leg only. Only happens when stretching before getting out of bed - my body likes a good stretch many mornings.

Ah, I didn’t realize you had not yet heard back after the Holter monitor exercise. Fingers crossed for a good report on Wednesday!

1 Like

I only take magnesium when I get long runs of PVCs. If I take it every day it effects my workouts. Magnesium ions have the same two plus charge as Calcium, which is used for muscle contractions. Magnesium can interfere with Calcium bonding in muscle tissue and reduce the response of the muscle. The heart is, after all, a very powerful muscle. Calming down muscles helps reduce PVCs. Pretty simple, but not for daily use if you still want to workout without feeling drag from slower muscles.

By the way, Epsom salts are another form of magnesium that helps relax muscles. Never use epsom salts for more than just soaking a limb. I tested this as a dumb, curious, chemistry student by taking a bath in Epsom salts. I could hardly crawl out of the tub! I was very relaxed, though, lol.

Nope, not me. I occasionally take a short course of PPIs for a purpose, but I’ve never been on them long term.

I also don’t have any of the problems @moonlitoaksranch has with magnesium. I am very, very active outside all day and have no loss of strength for my heavy lifting tasks taking magnesium daily. I used to take a soak in the tub with epsom salts every night.

Skipping magnesium will also kick in visual (occipital) migraines for me. No pain, but I see a lot of colors and patterns. Sometimes I still see one if I’ve been sweating heavily outside in the heat, but can stop it pretty quick by taking some magnesium.

1 Like

Interesting! I am on a prescription acid blocker, so will definitely ask about that. Thanks!

Check this out https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-drug-safety-communication-low-magnesium-levels-can-be-associated-long-term-use-proton-pump

I don’t take anything for acid reflux.

Thanks! After six see the cardiologist will definitely be talking to my GI doc about this.

So apparently I am having PACs, not PVCs, but not at a rate the cardiologist is concerned about and doesn’t think they are severe enough to need medication to control them. In case it is due to the acid blocker he ordered bloodwork to test my electrolyte levels, and just to be extra cautious because I have a family history of heart disease, ordered a stress test and echocardiogram too.

The bradycardia at night he’s not worried about at all, so that’s also good news.

1 Like

Any updates?

I have palpitations a lot. They’ve gotten better since I started a new anxiety med, but they often seem to happen if I have too much sugar, or eat a really big meal. I also have had issues with bradycardia, especially at night (I wore a Holter for 30 days and it hit the 40s a few times). Done all sorts of tests, there’s nothing actually wrong with my heart. I try to just ignore them now. It’s the rapid heart rate I get that scares me now.

Blood work was all normal. 72 hour Holter test showed PACs a few times a day and nighttime bradycardia, but neither at a rate that concerned the cardiologist. ECG, stress test, and ultrasound were all normal. So best guess is anxiety, peri menopause, or possibly even a reaction to the Covid vaccine. The palpitations were happening several times an hour and they have now subsided to only a few times a week so I’ve just learned to ignore them.

2 Likes

My 7 day monitor showed some PACs, PVCs, and a short VT but my doctor doesn’t seem to be concerned about it. I plan to discuss it with him at my upcoming physical, because the symptoms had already lessened quite a bit by the time I got the monitor. They are now all but completely gone (I may feel something occasionally, but it’s at about the rate that it had been for years.) I’m really wondering if it was a vaccine reaction because of the timing (started 2 weeks after my first shot and gradually went away after the second).

1 Like

FWIW my hubby went into A-fib 48 hours after his first covid vaccination.