Unlimited access >

Heated tub to prevent hose from freezing?

Our water pressure isn’t high enough to expand the expandable hoses - I need the full 100’ - but I got a collapsing (flattening) hose last year when I had to fill the trough for a few months. The hose doesn’t hold that much water and once unhooked mostly forces out what it does hold, and is fairly light, so it is easy to carry into the mudroom - in a 5-gallon bucket last winter, and now on a smallish hose reel. (Usually my husband lugs buckets by choice but last year he had back problems and right now he’s across the country visiting family.)

After reading the alternatives discussed here, and in the previous thread about draining/blowing out hoses, I remain happy with my solution. Especially the thought of handling a wet hose with the temperature in the teens does not appeal to me!

Is it one of those soft, black, fabric-like ones? I have one of those, too. And I agree they are good options.

Thank you, I actually did use one some years ago, think I had water pressure issues, it wouldn’t stay
expanded, I had to hold it. Then I loaned it to someone to try out and I guess they liked it, lol it never came home. That was a while ago so there may be other options available now.
It is worth relooking at, thanks!

1 Like

Yes, a black fabric outer layer with a thin plastic hose inside. Mine is “Aqua Joe Fiberjacket” and it gets lots of bad reviews for lack of durability (as it seems many of these do), but probably lasts longer with our low water pressure.

I just got a Yard Butler Handy Reel to to store it on - received it 3 days ago - and while it’s a little bulkier and heavier than the 5-gallon bucket, cranking the hose onto the reel is so much easier than accordion-folding it into the bucket, and I can’t imagine the constant creasing from the folds did much for the longevity. So far I love the combo.