Unlimited access >

Hedge recommendations?

We have tons of wild hawthorn all over the place so now I’m thinking of transplanting that and trying out hedge laying. That would eliminate the need for electric fencing around the ditch.

We also have wild Hawthorn locally, but NOT on my property! Sorry, those huge thorns are too lethal for me!! I would not want to even think how much damage they can inflict in cuts, puncture wounds, possibly putting out an eye.

Riding trails on bikes can give you flat tires. Thorns can easily be 2–3 inches long, very hard, not breaking.

The local nursery/garden shop has a list of deer-resistant trees and shrubs in their catalog. They destroyed a beautiful white rhododendron. They stripped a euonymus but it grew back annually. I consult that list now so I don’t waste money on something they will eat.

1 Like

In colonial times they planted rose bushes along fence lines to keep in livestock. Don’t know if they will grow in Canada but here in VA springtime the air is fragrant with the wild roses that still flourish along old fence lines everywhere.

In my county, land owners are obligated to actively remove multiflora rose plants. Good news is the sheep enjoy eating the leaves…bad news is even with over a hundred sheep it’s impossible to control the damn plant without some other means also employed. I brushhog them

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=b514