Unlimited access >

HELP! Bad behavior!!!

Since a shank over his nose does not help, try using a rope halter. My horse ignores a chain over the nose but is completely respectful of a rope halter. Walk - halt exercises to get his attention and instead of backing him up, make him yield his hind quarters. (He can’t rear if he is yielding his quarters.)

I also second the idea of getting a trainer to help you.

I really hope you don’t take the advice of getting a trainer as an insult, or like people don’t think you have any experience. Many of us have also been working with horses our whole lives too, but we have to be willing to recognize when a particular behavior needs outside help. With all your experience, you’ll probably make a great client whom the trainer can really help (as opposed to the trainer fixing the horse and then returning it to an inexperienced owner who will just re-create the problem all over again).

I’ll second above^^ I have a friend, long time horse person and vet, who got a mare that had some “issues” behaviorally. She worked with a cowboy in NE Ohio. If you are interested and in that area, I can PM you his name.

[QUOTE=HungarianHippo;8945681]
I really hope you don’t take the advice of getting a trainer as an insult, or like people don’t think you have any experience. Many of us have also been working with horses our whole lives too, but we have to be willing to recognize when a particular behavior needs outside help. With all your experience, you’ll probably make a great client whom the trainer can really help (as opposed to the trainer fixing the horse and then returning it to an inexperienced owner who will just re-create the problem all over again).[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Some trainers specialize in certain bad behaviors and have a lot of tools available in their tool box. Sometimes you just need some more tools/tips at your disposal. I know you are looking for them here - and you might get what you need - but you may also need eyes on the ground.

Best of luck to you! I hope you update us on your progress.

Have you tried changing his feed? Did I miss how long you’ve had him? Maybe he needs several months being let down?

I’ll second the notion that your horse should be fine outdoors, although he should have access to some sort of run-in shelter or windbreak. I live in northern Canada, and lots of people here keep their horses outside 24/7. Mine lives completely outside and he’s fine. He does have a rain sheet and winter blanket I put on him as needed and he has access to a shelter and gets free-choice grass hay.

Personally, if I had a horse that reared (whether under saddle or on the ground), I’d get professional help. That’s a problem that can be dangerous. Do be sure to wear a helmet when handling him.