Unlimited access >

Help me customize my new Custom saddle

Mystic-I didn’t have to do mine every ride, and even if I let it go for a month or so, it was still easy to get the suede back.
Horse Doesnt like the custom. But the design works for me. I have different kind, it is gorgeous and he loves it. But The design doesn’t work for me.

I’m working on a happy medium :-).

I have the Vienna leather on mine and it IS buffalo. It is a double layered buffalo over a grain backing and it is super soft. Mine has been ridden HARD for four years and the grain wear leathers have worn out but the Vienna is still perfect and sticky.

I’d go for it. After having it, the regular buffalo feels thick to me and I think the Vienna looks better as it wears.

I have the regular buffalo seat and skirt with Vienna flaps. My saddle is brown with gold piping.

3 Likes

So glad you commented, thank you!

I can find a picture, if you like? This saddle has been ridden in a LOT. So you can see how it wears?

ETA: here’s a picture. https://i.imgur.com/oRlO9pUl.jpg?1

1 Like

Gorgeous, thank you! I think I’m sold on the smooth Vienna–looks like it has aged beautifully.

I think I’ve decided to do the brown piping and facing along the cantle, not along the front edge of the flaps and pommel.

I just ordered a black and brown (the piping is brown, the thigh blocks and the back of the cantle) everest R this summer. with the regular buffalo, And then the brushed sort of leather seat. I’m in love and it should last forever. I’m trying to find my photos so I can show you.

IMG_5993.JPG

IMG_5994.JPG

IMG_5995.JPG

1 Like

Gorgeous! The color I picked for the facing/welting is called coffee. I’m hoping it adds just the right amount of brown contrast! (I keep vacillating between coffee and cognac, but think cognac is a little more orange than I’d like.)

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“data-attachmentid”:9921647}[/ATTACH]

That’s what it looks like after nearly 2 years of oiling/use. The welting is cognac. Now, the piping is London - and that is still orangey.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“data-attachmentid”:9921649}[/ATTACH]

The original color. It’s not very orange at all.

21462644_10101124218943026_8288745751871287827_n.jpg

IMG_20170611_223206.JPG

1 Like

net G those boots are the reason I ordered my saddle in brown/black but then the brown is so dark from afar I don’t think people could tell. At this point I don’t care. I love those boots and I’m buying them! I also bought a dark brown, rolled leather bridle. IT’s quite the nice look.

Now I’m looking to have an off white saddle pad, with a brown trim and gold chord saddle pad made.

1 Like

Hi all! :wave: Apologies for bumping an old thread. I’m also in the same boat buying a Custom saddle. I’m thinking regular buffalo on the skirt/seat and Vienna on the flaps. (I also don’t love the textured look on the flaps.)

Would y’all mind posting pictures of your used saddles? Would love to see how both leather options have worn.

Thank you :blush:

This is my Frank Baines Operetta. You can’t see them, but the back of the cantle and the stitching are also brown. It’s absolutely beautiful.

April 16 2021 New Saddle

3 Likes

I am really unhappy with the leather on the seat of my saddle. It’s almost as if the top layer (maybe it’s a coating?) is rubbing off. This happened when I first got the saddle and I sent it back; happened again. I probably won’t get a pic until later this week, but happy to send one when I can.

That is so disappointing. I’m sorry to hear that. :frowning:

Thank you, Archer! Would love to see it. What kind of leather did you end up settling on?

I have the Custom Matrix (monoflap) and I definitely have a few thoughts. I took delivery on the saddle I think 3 years ago.

1. Buffalo is durable; I haven’t had any issues and this is in the hot and humid south.
  2. Love the brown and black with the colors you selected.
  3. The mock croc has held up well and haven’t had any issues at all.
  4. Subtle is better. Custom made a mistake with my saddle, but when they showed it to me I didn’t remember what I chose and I didn’t want to deal with a delay. Although, I adore how it ended up, I make sure I select saddle pad colors which are muted and don’t clash with the orange mock crock. It was not supposed to cover the back of the saddle and I think I selected the London color, but like I said, I didn’t remember my original selection. Fortunately, you can’t see it in the show ring. Annnnd, she’s dutch and my fave color is orange, so we went with it.

2 Likes