Unlimited access >

Help Me Find A Flax Alternative

Thanks for the suggestion, cnd, I have used Cool Calories in the past for weight gain & did have some success with it for that goal. I had switched to the rice bran and then the flax bc I liked the added omegas & had nicer results.

As an update, thanks to @tabula_rashah, I just ordered bucket o’ flax from SmartPak – theirs is the brown flax (I can’t remember the difference, but I do remember looking it up before & golden is slightly advantageous, but at this point, compromises have to be made) but it is still stabilized so I’ll give that a try for 90 days. I can’t afford to feed it at the same rate as the TC flax (which I was using for fat as well), but it will still give us the extra omega 3s I want. If the horse needs more calories, I can bump up his alfalfa pellets. In 3 months, my grass will be back, thank goodness.

@Texarkana, as a follow up on the Empower, I was about to settle on that, but when I went to Nutrena’s website to check some details, I realized that what my SS carries is the Empower Topline, not the Empower Boost (I didn’t realize there were different kinds, but I did flip over bags in the store yesterday to check fat levels). If they had the Boost, which is the rice bran/flax/22% fat thing, I’d have grabbed that & I think you’re right, it might have been great, but the 5% fat Topline didn’t really look like what I was looking for. But next time I’m at TSC, I’ll see what they have too, ours at least used to sell all the Nutrena products.

Thanks again, everyone, you were all very helpful with guiding tired brain to a workable interim solution & now I also have several other alternative backups if I need them. Hopefully this can also help others who might run into shortages.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Omega HorseShine which is ground flax w/ some other goodies of which I’m not sure what they are BUT within a week your horse will shine and look clean and perky. Love that stuff. Easy to get shipped too.

1 Like

I second two dogs on the use of black oil sunflower seeds. Cheap, plentiful all year long.

BOSS don’t have the great omega 3 ratios of flax.

8 Likes

I appreciate this thread for the same reason! Just on-line ordered 2 bags of TC ground flax from my local feed store as well!

1 Like

I have tried BOSS before, just for the sake of being thorough, but Scribbler is correct, its omega3 levels aren’t near as “pretty” for horses as flax is. I did not see any appreciable results from it either, unfortunately. It was at least relatively easy to find & inexpensive, which is why I thought it was worth a try. If it’s working for you(g), that’s great, just wasn’t for us.

1 Like

Thanks, Marla - I know several folks who really like that stuff & it does seem to make shiny horses sometimes! It was significantly more expensive for me though. But appreciate you sharing for others looking for alternatives.

1 Like

Well bummer. While I realized they changed the name of Empower to Empower Boost, I didn’t realize that was because they introduced other Empower-branded products. Back to the drawing board.

TSC should carry plenty of acceptable products that are high in flax, rice bran, or both. They usually have Empower Boost, Omega HorseShine, Renew Gold, Max-E-Glo, etc. The downside is you have to buy them at TSC and they are expensive products with low turnover. Half the time they are out of date, ridddled with bugs, or both. :grimacing:

1 Like

Well, at the least, maybe I can save someone from picking up a bag of Empower, thinking they are automatically getting 22% fat - make sure you read the 2nd word in the product name! (or, you know, the GA tag, but tired brainzzzzzz happen…)

I feed Chia as I can feed less and it’s more bioavailable than flax. It’s also good for ulcer prone horses. I fed whole flax for many years and my horses have always looked great. BOSS doesn’t have the same Omega 3/6 ratio and it’s a magnet for rodents. I’ve had squirrels chew through a garbage can to get at it!

I’ve fed Purina Amplify in the past and it’s highly palatable. I used it with my TB to help keep his weight up. My draft-x doesn’t need help in that area.

How about hemp seeds? I haven’t tried them as I don’t have a horse at the moment but I hear they are a good source of omegas

Do Chia seeds have to be ground up like flax seeds or can they be fed whole but still have nutrients absorbed?

Manna Pro Flax;

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=f804cf12-1c5c-4ff3-9515-1b1b2928f270&itemguid=de992649-0595-4d36-b258-5fae37522a24&sfb=1&grp=S000&grpc=SC00&grpsc=SC10&sp=e&utm_content=29085&ccd=IFH003

Chia does not need to be groud. Of course, I never ground my flax seed either, but I do think they are able to absorb more of the nutrients from chia.

I have one horse on chia, the other on flax. I switched from flax to chia in the hopes that it would help her FWS. It didn’t, but I left her on it anyway. It’s not too expensive. I get it from Equine Chia. It’s her only fat source and let me tell you that if that’s the reason for her shiny coat, it’s working! She only gets 1/4 cup a day, and the one on flax gets 1 cup a day (in addition to 8 lbs Triple Crown Senior Gold) and she’s shiny, but nearly as shiny as the one on chia!

2 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of buying feed at TSC either, but some of them still have the Triple Crown flax in stock. It has a two-year shelf life unopened and since the bags are clearly dated on the side at least you do know how old it is.

My mare gets 8 oz a day with her soaked alfalfa and balancer. I can’t really afford the Manna Pro or SmartPak flax options at that feeding rate. So when I run out of the TC Naturals I’ll probably end up switching to the Dumor Ultrashine, which is the TSC version of Omega Horseshine at about the same price point as TC flax.

1 Like

How much do you feed? I’m looking at adding chia to my geldings diet; he tends to get fecal water syndrome when the weather changes late summer/early fall. I’ve been reading chia can be helpful with it.

I feed 1/4 of a cup twice a day but currently have had trouble getting my regular supply

1 Like

To share the best event of my week- I found a bag of TC flax at tractor supply! SO EXCITED! That store didn’t used to stock this product, so it was unexpected
I was tempted to ask what they had in the back, but that bag will last me several months & I wanted other "me"s to have a chance. But wanted to share so those of you looking- keep your eyes peeled, you never know where they will turn up!

2 Likes

I also was just able to order the TC flax from TSC too! Hopefully availability will be better!

1 Like