Unlimited access >

Help Me Shop For Breeches - Winter and Schooling

I got a pair of Cavallo Winter High Performance Stretch (on their website it says full seat, but they’re in the knee patch category and the pic shows knee patches and what I got is knee patches). The colors are limited and they’re not going to be ride outside in freezing temps all day breeches. But they fit and look fab and are incredibly comfortable.

Don’t count them out on account of me! After I shower, I will try them on and compare fits as far as the rise.

I tried a pair of Empower and they were not terribly flattering on my slightly fluffy lower half. They also weren’t warm in any way.

I like the luxe for summer riding. Have not tried the pros.

I am a FreeRide superfan, I love the Lux and the Pro. Not a fan of the Empower, actually. The Lux are very thin, great for hot days. The Pro are nice and compressive, more of a classic breech look so I wear those for lessons/trials/video days.

I mostly ride in the full seat Lux and don’t find them too grippy for riding hunters, but some of the Pro colors have a suede knee patch.

2 Likes

Ordered the Horze Thermo Grand Prix full seats and am sending them back. I liked the soft shell fabric - it’s not very stretchy so a bit stiffer than I like normally but it seemed VERY warm. However, they were too high rise and not flattering on me so they are going back. If they are good for your body shape they seem like a great deal for the price.

I broke down and ordered a pair of the Free Ride Pro breeches and am this close to getting a pair of the Maya Delores (I know I butchered that) compressions too to try but returning them internationally seems to be a pain.

My winter breeches were always full seats because it just was more fabric and felt warmer against a cold saddle.
I recently dusted off my full chaps, as I’ve noticed them more at horse show warm-up rings and have been using them on cooler days and forgot how nice and toasty they were… along with a nice sticky contact. I just toss on lined mid-to- high-waisted yoga pants and throw them on over them.

1 Like

Okay well here’s an update. Santa brought me a pair of the FreeRide winter breeches, and they. are. dreamy.

I wear the same size in the winter as I do the Define leggings. Size small, I’m 5’2" and ~130 lbs. They’re definitely thicker than the regular Define but not so thick that they look lumpy or baggy. They’re still very stretchy and comfortable, high rise which is great for me, they have belt loops if you need that. They probably won’t keep you warm when it’s 10 degrees out, but for regular winter riding, they feel like they’ll be plenty warm (I live in PA for reference). The material on the inside is a little thicker than the Maya compression breeches but is a cozier/warmer feel, like a light fleece. Material on the outside feels the same as their other leggings/breeches.

Honestly 10/10 worth checking out. Also since you mentioned them, the Maya compression are also perfection, pretty expensive but worth the $$$. They’re also having 20% off sitewide right now. They do have winter breeches too, but I have no experience with those, only the regular full seat compression line.

2 Likes

Sync Equestrian! Warm and cozy but not bulky. High waist bank. Phone sized pocket.

1 Like

I’ve seen the Sync ones and don’t love the look. I don’t remember if I put it in the OP but I’m wanting pairs with zippers and snaps/ buttons. I don’t love the tights look (doesn’t look as professional/ polished IMO which is part of why I am wanting to upgrade my wardrobe).

My winter Sync ones are proper breeches with a zipper and snap. Very different fabric than their summer tights.

I ordered two pair of Free Ride “winter” breeches on sale and they arrived today and :roll_eyes: I am so tired of anything that isn’t a paper thin breech being called “winter”. These are not insulated, not fleece lined, not wind or waterproof NOTHING! How in the heck is this supposed to be “warm and cozy”?! I was hoping they would be similar to the Kerrits leggings I picked up earlier this year but cheaper (fleece inside but not wind proof). This things are going straight back. It wouldn’t be so hard to shop for breeches if product descriptions were accurate and not vague “super warm” “cozy brushed interior”. The search continues apparently.

1 Like

I was also disappointed by how thin the Free Ride winter breeches are. They are warmer than a standard breech or tight and fit into my regular boots though, so mine are getting more wear than I initially expected. I do wish the description would at least be honest about what they are though. I too was hoping for Kerrits thickness with a better fit. Kerrits are so long on me!

I’ve never regretted purchasing breeches from the selection offered here.

1 Like

@SLW we had a warm day here recently so I got out a pair of my MD and I had forgotten how much I absolutely love them, 10/10 recommend. I’ve never tried the winter ones, but the regular compression line is chefs kiss.

1 Like

I just have the compression ones and love them! I plan on adding some schooling or cargo ones this spring.

1 Like

They’re my absolute favorites. I’m going to slowly replace my old breeches with MD only as the old ones wear out, so flattering and comfortable and STICKY! Expensive but worth every penny.

I got a pair of Noble Outfitters soft shell winter breeches used from the Tried Equine and of COURSE I love them (because they’re no longer made/ available) :sob: So I have another pair but not a “supplier” where I can get a few pairs to stock up.

I may have to try the winter Maya Delorez breeches. They sure do look nice and everyone seems to love them, just a bit rich for my blood which is what has me on the fence.

This is the pair I have that are perfect for me too! :sob: :sob: :sob: If you ever find a secret “supplier” please post it here.