Help Me Surprise Teen with Horse

This is a great idea, to do the photos first.

I agree with everyone else, my heart is going pitter-patter for the teen. What an incredible gift.

5 Likes

Wow! What an awesome surprise!

When my D got her “Christmas pony”, we gave the trainer a halter engraved with D’s name and pony’s name, and when we got to the barn, trainer asked D to go get her the “new horse” next to Dobbin on the small aisle and it was wonderful to see her process as sbe saw the horse and read the halter. (Shameless plug for Tack Shack of Ocala for making nice quality halters and plates without spending a fortune),

6 Likes

I hope my advice isn’t too late but I wouldn’t worry about bows and ribbons being too babyish; they’re currently very trendy!

This feels appropriate to drop here…

It’s the foal! It’s the foal!

3 Likes

My parents did this for me for my first horse. They had told me a hundred times I couldn’t get a horse even though I begged and begged. On Christmas that year, my dad said he would give my a hundred dollars for more lessons so we went to the barn because he wanted to see me ride. When we got there, he said I want to see you ride on your new horse. I cried like a baby. I had no idea.

15 Likes

That huge stash of cash in the pond!

1 Like

my wife when she was a child she got her very own first pony on Christmas Day, complete with harness and cart.(it may have been one of those Montgomery Ward or Sears complete purchase a pony kits)

Grandparents where going to show her how to hook pony to cart, grandmother was heading pony as the harness was hooked to the cart, pony bolted running over grandmother (she was not harmed they say)

childhood friend/neighbor of my wife was Randy Brooks who later penned the song “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer”

10 Likes

Can we please have an ETA for this?! It’s going to kill me hoping/waiting/looking for an update. This never happened to me and even now (at a wellll into adult age) I sometimes hope my parents or husband will do this for me. I have to live vicariously through others experiences sadly.

13 Likes

Today is the day! We had been in talks for a while but silly me hadn’t thought this far ahead. I wasn’t able to get a halter name plate on short notice, so the plan is a little DIY stall sign with Dobbin’s name and teens name *as owner in big letters with bows. I also grabbed some apples, carrots, and mints so she has treats to give her first horse, and some cookies and brownies for her/ the barn mates to celebrate with. I wanted to do more and feel like I’m not doing enough, then remember that I am giving her an actual horse so I think it’s okay :joy: She teaches lessons so I have to sneak in while she’s in the arena to set up and then grab her between for the surprise.

29 Likes

Also - same :laughing:

2 Likes

Same here. I still look at it and smile when I walk past his stall. So excited for this kid! Very much echo the nameplate idea and would definitely put “owned by” next to their name.

You are doing more than enough!

This is amazing.

Be ready to take photos,

Come back update us on how it goes and how excited she is.

2 Likes

That is more than enough. You are so thoughtful and kind for blessing her with a horse of her own.

So excited to hear about the big reveal!!

1 Like

What a wonderful thing to do! Can’t wait to hear how it goes.

I didn’t get any pictures (sorry all!) but her mom got a video. It was a lovely evening with the whole barn crew. All of her lesson kids gathered around and the BO and her mom were there (I’m sure she was slightly confused at first) and then she saw the sign with her name in big bold letters as owner and was in disbelief. It was adorable watching her show her little lesson kids how to feed Dobbin the carrots and apples I brought and all the kiddos loves the human cookies I brought as well. Her and I chatted a bunch throughout the evening but my favorite bit was when she told me that she had already been planning a way to try to get Dobbin when I was ready to retire him :joy:

27 Likes

That is amazing! What a lovely evening that everyone will remember.

This is so so sweet! What a nice thing for you to do for this lucky girl.

Cute and clever! I’m sorry to be pedantic but as a Poe fan I have to point out that “The Purloined Letter” is an Edgar Allen Poe story. :slightly_smiling_face:

You could do a really fun scavenger hunt, and make the last task lead to the horse and have a nicely decorated stall, etc.! I think that would be fun – even fun to create. One task may lead to a new halter. Another to a grooming kit, etc. Prepay for something at a tack shop and have that be a task to pick up.

1 Like