Unlimited access >

Help me understand showmanship?

I’d say the ears position is because the horse is focused on where her handler is, beside them. It’s not like they are focused on a jump in front of them, or the rails in a trail class to jog or lope over that are in front again. I’ve noticed for the most part, horses ears are aimed to where they are looking, in this case they are watching the showperson’s body for cues since the shank is rarely ever engaged.

3 Likes

I would agree, girl AND horse did an excellent pattern. Horse planted that right hind hoof and did all turns without picking it up to relocate. NOT an easy feat. At the halt before Judge, kid moved smoothly around horse to be out of the Judge’s view of the horse. No peeking over or under the horse to see the Judge. Everything was crisp, prompt, without being exaggerated, no unneeded hand movements or steps. Horse obviously had been practiced with, could read the girl, did exactly what was asked.

Together they presented a pleasing appearance, great working relationship. A pleasure to watch!

The girl showing pigs above, would get critisized by me about being all hunched. She is intense!! Does not look happy! She needs to get her body under control, smoothed out, stand up since she is not holding pig, just directing it. Standing up will let her move smoothly in any direction while presenting her well-groomed pig. And a pleasant smile goes a great way in looking like things are going smoothly, not ready to fall apart any second. She will probably get the smile, more relaxed movement as she shows more.

DD did lambs, calves, dogs, horse at the Fair. They all had certain expectations for the human exhibitor, with species specific twists for the ring. All species expected kid to wear a pleasant expression, not the very angry look of girl showing pig! Kid got spoken to by Leader about “fixing” their look in the ring, to present a better appearance. Kid needed to be a gracious good winner or loser, since there is only ONE first place in a class. Anyone getting second or lower was NOT ALONE out there! One of the best lessons my kids ever learned was how to accept being “not the best THAT DAY!” and the world did not end.

But all Showmanship requires competitor to watch the Judge, know where they are so you can present your animal in the best possible way. Covering up parts of an animal can prevent Judge getting a good look. Your animal must move with or for you, to turn or stand up smoothly, stand still as you move around animal out of the Judge’s way. Sheep are shown naked, so you better have done your homework or you might lose hold stretching them out, pointing ears forward for expression. Meat lambs have been shorn to the skin, for Judge to better see muscling. If sheep runs off, you are OUT of the running. Cattle are shown heads up at all times, to give a straighter back look, help get feet set properly at halts without much stick work. They must lead and turn as requested to look smooth as a team with kid. Cow heads get heavy holding them up!!

Dog kids, same thing. Best presentation, watching the Judge 99% of the time, using any breed, appearing to have a good time, keeping dog alert, posed, dog eyes on you during posing and pattern, Judge examination, not covering animal up, are keys to winning. Your homework is evident to onlookers, Judge, if animal doesn’t get silly that day.

3 Likes

:rofl: