Unlimited access >

Help me with Scratches!!!!!

Here’s a good article on photosensitivity:

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/15248/photosensitization-in-the-horse

Having delt with photosensitivity and scratches (possibly at the same time) we use chlorohexidine and blot is on the scabs and let it dry (no wrapping) twice a day. As some have said, it may take weeks for the entrenched scabs to come off. We don’t try to remove the scabs, but let them fall off on their own.

[QUOTE=mswillie;7758653]
I’ve had great results with Desitin. Use it liberally and often. Do not scrub the area.[/QUOTE]

Me four, with the added benefit of the Desitin hiding the scab on his white leg!

Anyone tried it?

It’s called Nu-stock

Yes, I have used it for hock sores, gelding’s “cannon crud,” and the like and had very good luck with it. I have not had to deal with scratches per se but based on what it did for other similar type issues, I’d give it a try. Sulfur is a fungicide after all and the resin will repel moisture.

It was recommended to me by someone who swore by using it in rubs for her harness horses.

It stinks like sulfur and the smell doesn’t wash of easily so I applied it with a semi-stiff little paint brush. A little goes a long way.

A combination of Desitin and Chlorhexadine or Equishield CK. massaged in. if a scab loosens good, of it doesn’t don’t dig. Every day a few more will loosen> It takes about 4-5 days.

Do not wash.

I’ve recommended the Desitin, chlorhexadine combination , but also add OTC cortisone cream to the mix. Have also tried the Equishield with good results, no mixing that way.

I agree that you shouldn’t wash but it should be massaged in.

scrub with Bernadine 2x a day…
pick off the scabs and douse with Bernadine again.
towel dry.
then put on furizone 2x a day.

If you can, it will go away faster if you wrap and keep areas 100% clean.

Took me 4 months of half butt treatment to clear up my gelding.

I hit my filly hard and hers is 50% better after 5 days.

I’m quick to treat before I get to the scab stage, but I have great results with Gold Bond Powder followed by a layer of Desitin.

Help with Scratches…

I have had excellent results with nasty scabby scratches using “Tomorrow” a dairy cow mastitis treatment. (Don’t use the “Today” version.) It is available at farm supply stores, Southern States, Tractor Supply. Southern State’s is usually less expensive approx. $2.69 per tube. Start with a clean dry leg…use your blow dryer to get it completely dry. Apply “TODAY” to just the scabs. It doesn’t take a lot. Repeat daily for several days. then maybe every other day for a few more days. Now the HARD part…leave it alone! No daily washing scrubbing, and picking at the scabs and irritating you and your horse… Give it time to work. The scabs will slough off.

Yes, yes, do not go picking the scabs if they give you much resistance. That just leaves really raw sores more prone to infection. I’d only go that route (and have) if a vet is sedating and shaving everything to sort of get a fresh start, but shaving them off is a bit different from pulling them off.

If the topical, whatever you’re using, is working, it will start to get those scabs to loosen, and pretty soon, just the act of wiping off the old gunk will get some scabs off.

I have been battling scratches on both of Matt’s hind legs for the last week. Its worse on his right hind, the the scabs are quite large around his pasterns. I have been scrubbing it with prepodyne, then drying really well. The scabs are also up to the backs of his hocks, and a little on the inside of his thighs. He has these weird hive-y looking bumps on his left side.

The posts that have mentioned photosenstitivity have gotten me really worried, needless to say. He’s been in the same paddock all year and this time of year I don’t think anything new has grown. Today the vet prescribed 11 TMS tablets twice a day, and will be bringing an antibiotic cream tomorrow.

I started the nu stock 3 days ago. It says to re apply every three days so I put more on tonight.

The scabs on some spots were flaking off a bit so I gently rubbed what I could off and put the nu stock on.

I will keep this up and maybe wash and clean them off every couple of weeks just to make sure they are clean since it has been really muddy here lately.

I just got new clipper blades and put them on to clip any excess hair off of his legs in that area and now the darn things won’t clip!!!

So I need to figure out what exactly I did wrong and get the clippers working again!!! :mad:

I’ve always used MTG and it has always cleared up the problem in a few days and encouraged hair regrowth.

Ask your vet to get you Dermavet (or look for it online). It’s miraculous and truly cleared up my horse’s pervasive scratches in only a few days.

This will sound weird if it hasn’t been posted yet but honestly, best thing I’ve ever seen to cure scratches within 24 hour period is sauerkraut wraps.

I know, weird, gross, smelly but … it works. :yes:

I’ve seen it work on horses actually LAME b/c of scratches and I’ve seen it work on minor cases too. All very, very quickly. When I worked for a guest ranch, we had really bad issues w/ scratches during the spring melt in the mountains and used all sorts of creams and scrubs and ointments, etc. We used prescription meds, chlorhex. etc. etc. almost everything mentioned above! For a few months we struggled w/ different horses until finally an older horseman suggested we try the sauerkraut and voila. First horse was a palomino w/ scratches fetlock down all 4 = 24 to 48 hours later (palomino I think we left wraps 48, b/c his were so bad), wraps came off, all gone. Same w/ a bay who was next for the treatment. He was actually lame it was so bad and painful.

We then treated any horse w/ the start of scratches and did sauerkraut wraps on them.

It felt like a miracle cure. If you then treat the fresh, new skin kindly and make sure they aren’t exposed to the conditions that created the scratches, you’re good to go.

Unless you have ruled out photosensitivity you shouldn’t put a thing on it.

Scratches Advice

[QUOTE=Samotis;7757134]
My 2 year old came back from the trainers with a small bout of scratches on his two hind legs below the ankles. (Both
So he is home now and I just can’t get them to go away!!!
He is healthy, on a great diet, and never had scratches before.
Of course we just had 6 inches of rain which has never happened in the history of Arizona, so he is currently in a muddy condition. :([/QUOTE]

Hello there…
I have a Gypsy Cob, who has had scratches on all four legs at times. I found the best treatment was ORIGINAL M-T-G made by Shapleys, can be found usually wherever horse supplies are sold. Not only does it take care if the scratches but it also encourages hair growth and really does work. It also is good for other skin issues which is a bonus. The downside of this product is it smells dreadful (although they have come out with a better smelling product which I have also tried, smell is better but still stinks) and it may give surrounding hair a greasy look. Hope this helps!
Cheers
??? :slight_smile:

Original M-T-G
(Shapley’s) An effective, time-proven remedy for dermatitis problems. Highly recommended by veterinarians for a variety of skin conditions, A single-source solution for fungus, rain rot, scratches, mud fever, greasy heel, girth itch, dandruff, itchy skin and tail rubbing. An oil-based product that balances a drying and healing action with moisturizers, keeps the skin conditioned, creating a barrier against the elements. Offers quick relief and visible hair growth in 3-5 days and is ideal for use on skin where winter blankets have rubbed hair off. Does not require washing or water for application, making it ideal for cold weather use.

I don’t wash the area either, I just use baby butt cream from the drugstore. I also try to keep the areas he will be in as dry as possible. Water is the enemy haha.

A few years ago I had a terrible problem with my white legged Appy mare and scratches. I worked with the vet and tried everything. $1000 in vet bills later, what worked (and had been suggested by some on COTH) was equal parts DMSO, furazone and fenbendazol wormer.

Is your horse draft type ?

Timely article as my mare has a case on both hinds right now. I have been scrubbing with betadine and then applying desitin for 3 days with no improvement. On top of that, she hates having her legs washed (even without the ouch scabs) and tries to kick my face in.

She has no issue with me applying desitin, so I’m going to stop the scrubbing and see if the cream alone will help.