Unlimited access >

Help! My horse has a new way of "refusing" on xcountry

Hmmm…I don’t envy you. I had a horse (a crazy horse) who had a similar reaction to things he disliked. If I wouldn’t let him bolt, he would balk. I distinctly remember trying a Happy Mouth pelham on him one day (to maybe gently encourage him not to bolt to fences). I had one or two fantastic fences, but then he realized just how much control I actually had and grew roots the next time we came out of the turn.

In that case, I didn’t get far, but the horse was, truly, one of the craziest horses I’ve ridden (and I’ve ridden some loony tunes).

This behavior isn’t as “new” as you state in your OP, as it sounds like he’s done it some at home. I would seriously consider a good lameness exam. It isn’t terribly unusual for a horse in pain somehow to want to bolt at the jumps. Nor is it unusual, when they are told bolting isn’t acceptable, for them to balk and grow roots.

And I would definitely not allow him to be “bossy”. That’s unacceptable. I would also make sure he realizes that not going forward, on any occasion, is not an option. If you put your leg on, his reaction should be “Yes, ma’am! Right away!” NOT “Meh…I’ll think about it.” Or “EFF YOU.” Don’t wait for it to get to the point of growing roots. If you close your leg at anytime and he’s not quick to respond, I would back it up swiftly, firmly (but fairly) with a good, stiff tap-tap from a whip. No compromise.

And more outings. Being overwhelmed is a good reason to revert back to your naughtiest habits.

See if you can’t do sleep overs at local barns :slight_smile: and school the next day. he sounds tired and strung out and young.

Fair Hill would be an easy starter event to stable at-- I think you can probably stable for the MD HT starters, and maybe the NJ HP ones? But I wouldn’t worry so much about the overnight aspect of it just yet-- it sounds like there are a few other things you can address first.

[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;7026333]

Next time…trot out of the start box…even walk, then pick up the trot. I know it is a bit counter intuitive…but sometimes starting slow and keeping things slower keeps their brain from over loading. Take the pressure off a bit as that is what can also cause them to brain fry. I typically just ask them to trot out of the start…if they offer to canter, I let them…but the key is keeping it low key. [/QUOTE]

for sure.
I do this with Novice and below.

I was going to say that in his excitement, maybe he got his tongue over the bit. Horses oftern act a bit looney in the bridle when that happens it seems but then you mentioned he is in a hackamore combo with hangers so not sure he could have done that…but maybe? A girl I teach has a HOTTTTTT Morgan mare and she is often whizzing around the ring trying to go mach 10 OR stopping and propping (head all up in the air, getting light up front as if her mouth is on fire when you take the reins) when she gets the tongue over and she does this a lot. We may try a broken Segunda which has a jointed port with hopes the port will keep her tongue on the right side of things.

Any chance he got his tongue over the bit? That’s what his reaction sounds like to me, particularly with the head flipping and backing up when you applied pressure. Or some other kind of issue with your bit or hack.

Edit: I see someone else had the same thought, ha!

That could be a possibility but i doubt it, taking him to a Oxbow Schooling Trials on the 23rd to do the BN Stadium/Starter x-country division, and i think the new saddle is a winner so we’ll just have to wait and see if it helps at all

When a horse is that balky, my first instinct is to rule out physical problems before you really get after him. Have your vet do a thorough going over, check for subtle lamenesses, eye issues, etc. You mention problems with the saddle, does his back hurt? An overnight is a stressful situation for horses, do you treat for ulcers? I’ve just seen it too many times that balky behavior is a horse telling you he hurts.

After you rule out the physical, then address the behavior. I agree with the poster who felt that the bit/hackamore combo with one rein could be an issue. Whatever’s going on, slow things down and work on obedience over low jumps first.

Good luck!

It sounds to me like he is overfaced. Not necessarily with the size of jumps but with the whole idea. Some of them take much longer than others. I would find a way to change things up so that he learns to LOVE going cross-country–lots of easy, fun outings.

Other than that, I would check your saddle fit or for other other physical problems.

[QUOTE=katestephenson45;7028532]
I’m thinking maybe being more aggressive about his bossiness may just not be the right option, it might just make him more bossy. I’m sure we’ll figure it out, maybe he was just having an off weekend, who knows[/QUOTE]

Yes, it will - did you say he was older and started late? Many horses when the rules start changing about who is in charge don’t want to give up their top spot and will escalate their behavior.

This is where you pick your battles carefully - and don’t get angry, you can be assertive, but not aggressive. It’s that “I’ve got all day” from you attitude about the issue that will eventually get through to them. And you’ve got to be diligent about EVERY time you ask for something, anything, he responds pronto, without getting to say “maybe, I’ll think about it”. Because to him, every time he gets to think about it, it reinforces that he gets to be the decider. YOU are the decider. (thank you George Bush for that term, I laugh every time I use it with a horse)

And yes, do rule out pain.

[QUOTE=Hilary;7030016]
Yes, it will - did you say he was older and started late? Many horses when the rules start changing about who is in charge don’t want to give up their top spot and will escalate their behavior.

This is where you pick your battles carefully - and don’t get angry, you can be assertive, but not aggressive. It’s that “I’ve got all day” from you attitude about the issue that will eventually get through to them. And you’ve got to be diligent about EVERY time you ask for something, anything, he responds pronto, without getting to say “maybe, I’ll think about it”. Because to him, every time he gets to think about it, it reinforces that he gets to be the decider. YOU are the decider. (thank you George Bush for that term, I laugh every time I use it with a horse)

And yes, do rule out pain.[/QUOTE]

You are totally right, exactly what my trainer says haha, Kieran just doesn’t give up very easily (i guess being a stud for a while will do that)

Had his 2nd lyme test done today in order to rule that out, everything else physically is ok, im gonna check his mouth again to make sure he has no sores in case that’s what is bothering him (damn bone spurs from not-so-nice hands in the past) he’s been moving much better, started him on a heavier duty joint supplement about a month ago (cetyl-m) and it seems to have helped him jumping-wise.

I think he’s having a discussion with you that goes like this:

You–we’re going to do it this way
Him–no we’re going to do it my way
You–THIS WAY
Him–NO WAY

So I’d go back to dumb stuff like poles on the ground, and make sure the rules are very, very clear about who’s way its gonna be before I ever take him anywhere.

Either something is hurting or he is ring/jump sour.

I would give him a good soundness exam.

If he is not hurting, then don.t jump him. Just light workd preferably short hacks in the country.

Stay out of the ring.

If you belong to a foxhunting club or live near one, go easy on him until fall and then take him hunting.

Following other horses over the fences does wonders for a sour horse.