Unlimited access >

HELP! My new 12yo horse is actually 21?

How do you know it is his passport?

Yeah, and why does she, an interested bystander, have a photocopy of his passport? Why do you believe any of these people? Believe the vet.

2 Likes

Not to poke fun at the OP’s dilemma, but I’m sitting back here eating popcorn… its like the horse version of a modern mystery!
If the horse does windsuck (I’m assuming this is the same as what we call cribbing,) then his teeth (especially the front) are prone to look even shorter and older than they are. Granted, the vet still has the molars to look at for an estimate. Basically… if his teeth are indicating 11/12, then I would go with that for sure. It’s not like the vet is saying “Oh he could be 16” and the passport is 18. 12 to 18 is quite the difference in age.
Unless he has a tattoo or brand number that specifically matches with said passport, I’m more likely to believe the vet than I am some bystanders. Like others have pointed out, it’s easy to get a horse mixed up with another, and there are a disappointingly high number of people in the horse world who just like the stir the pot/cause trouble/be mean/get revenge/etc.

3 Likes

In fairness, I would be laughing and sharing this post with my friends if it were happening to somebody else :lol: it’s like if horses were to go on Jerry Springer

4 Likes

She didn’t know I had him until I contacted her using a number somebody gave me. She has no interest in having him, he was just a livery at her yard for a decade until about 3 years ago

1 Like

:lol: :lol:

Thank you for the much-needed laughs!

Brooksby Heights International video–

And the horse is enjoying it as much as the rest of them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx7UMayMGOU

1 Like

And that’s one of the few that doesn’t involve a live chicken riding shotgun! I love when they go through the McDonald’s drive thru because she’s trying to eat, keep the hen from sitting on her juice, and steer. 😂

I normally have my horse’s Coggins and shots done with the rest of the barn. It is normal in my area for the vet to send all of the Coggins for that barn to the BO not directly to the owner even when it is a boarding barn not a training barn. My BOs would normally copy them before giving to the owner. Any time I move to a new barn I had to give the BO copies of Coggins and proof of current vaccines when I moved in. I know at least one of them threw those copies in with my signed boarding agreement.

I could see where as part of moving into a stable the HO gives the BO a copy of the passport, insurance card, proof of shots etc… In some countries wouldn’t the passport be proof of shots and prior medical treatment? If the BO doesn’t regularly purge her records I could see her still having a copy. Heck maybe she scanned them and has them electronically so less of a reason to purge them.

I would also assume that the passport is similar to breed papers or Coggins with notes about markings, distinctive scars and possibly whorls for ID purposes.

It sounds like OP reached out to the livery owner not the other way around. The yard owner didn’t go looking for drama just responded to the question asked by OP.

4 Likes

Very late response but yes, exactly this! I reached out to them for more info :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For anybody left wondering…

The horse in question turned out to be 19, not 21 - or 12! I still have him, he’s rebuilt my shattered confidence to a point I didn’t think would ever be possible again and he is simply wonderful. I’m sad we won’t have as long together as we would if he were 12yo as he was sold but he is very low mileage and doesn’t ride - or look - like a 19yo at all! We have started jumping and competing in dressage and prix caprilli, ride around the fields at home and go out hacking around the local area. He is 1 in a million and a happy ending, although maybe not the one I expected!

122 Likes

So glad you are happy with the horse. You’re responses on this thread have shown you to be smart, reasonable, and someone who can see the silver lining in the clouds. I hope this horse winds up being one of those rare creatures that continues to be happy in his work to a very advanced age.

15 Likes

Glad it’s working out. You might check with your vet to see if it would be advisable to start some Cosequin ASU or another supplement the vet recommends. At 19, he might need them.

1 Like

If you bought a horse you like and enjoy and it was only $2000… I feel like I’d be happy the horse is as nice as I expected, keep him, and do what you can to maintain him well so you can keep enjoying him. I’m glad that’s the attitude you ended up taking! Sounds like he was just what you needed no matter what age he is.

3 Likes

never say never. There are plenty of people here who bought that young horse only to loose it within a year. I know a local trainer who took a ranch horse to 3 Day in his late teens and on to GP dressage in his 20s. You ride the horse you have and it may be a year or a decade. Seems to me, this $2000 horse has certainly earned his worth and more in just the year.

every day is a gift

10 Likes

I think many of us older AAs could do fine with a sound teenaged horse. My last 2 seniors lived til 34 and 35, and were still going strong under saddle up til their 30th year.

I’ve also bought younger horses who have either permanently disabled themselves young, or died young, so… a younger age is no guarantee of long life or long soundness. It’s always a gamble either way.

Kudos on finding such an awesome horse, and for giving an older gentleman a good home. He sounds perfect!

5 Likes

I love that you came to update - with such a happy story! Yay!!!

7 Likes

So glad it worked out and you are enjoying him! I bought a 22-year-old schoolmaster and though we had only one year together before losing her unexpectedly, it was the best year of my riding career. She rebuilt my confidence, helped me learn skills and achieve goals I didn’t think were possible, and helped me rediscover my joy in riding.

15 Likes

Thank you, I hope so too!

3 Likes

Very true! A friend of mine bought a 4yo with the aims of GP, not even 6 months later he was pts after a freak accident in the stable. If nothing else, it serves as a reminder to love our horses for every second that they are here… we never know which might be their last. Make the most while you have them!

4 Likes