Unlimited access >

HELP: Tips to help my horse set its head well

You might have the wrong breed of horse then, if a higher head carriage bothers you. The Arabian carries its head where it does because that is part of its breed standard! You also put this thread in the wrong forum; it does not belong in horse care which is for health issues. The advice about thinking more about engaging the haunches is exactly correct though.
Edited to add, I just noticed you are new to the forum. You can ask a moderator to move the thread to a better spot for it, like for example dressage or whatever.

[QUOTE=DreamBignRide;7538207]
Yeah I have seen the owners videos before as well as her comments under then explaining she doesn’t believe in Will’s training anymore. I still believe that his theory and way of training is amazing. He has almost 200 videos of proven work, on AVERAGE horses. Ive applied it to my own riding and horses I work with incredible results.

Personally I didn’t see anything shocking. Is it unorthodox? Yeah, but a lot of trainers who have decades of experience in starting/training horses find weird habits like that, that work for them. Just my opinion, the evidence in his work is there. Not only can he make a fancy warmblood look nice, his work brings out an amazing, sound, happy horse in basically anything.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, it’s not “his” method of training, the idea of long/low development has been around for a long time. He’s just the first to put up 200+ videos of it on YouTube and make some very eloquent pitches about it, combined with diatribes on any other form of training. Now, mind you, I use long/low and will continue to do so as it has wonderful results. I’ve even submitted videos for him to critique, but please learn to sort out the wheat from the chaff here; I have been trying to do that as well in the last 24 hours or so since some of these vids have been posted. Yesterday morning I was a pretty big fan, now, I’m reconsidering my stance. You don’t see anything shocking? Ok, but I see a whole lot of completely unnecessary. You can still get ALL of the benefits of slow, correct long and low development you want without riding like that or resorting to that method. There’s nothing “classical” about putting your shoulders practically on the horse’s rump and pulling back on the reins to get a horse to get on the contact. Personally I don’t see anything remotely appealing about it. To each his own though.

[QUOTE=GoneAway;7538245]
FWIW, it’s not “his” method of training, the idea of long/low development has been around for a long time. He’s just the first to put up 200+ videos of it on YouTube and make some very eloquent pitches about it, combined with diatribes on any other form of training. Now, mind you, I use long/low and will continue to do so as it has wonderful results. I’ve even submitted videos for him to critique, but please learn to sort out the wheat from the chaff here; I have been trying to do that as well in the last 24 hours or so since some of these vids have been posted. Yesterday morning I was a pretty big fan, now, I’m reconsidering my stance. You don’t see anything shocking? Ok, but I see a whole lot of completely unnecessary. You can still get ALL of the benefits of slow, correct long and low development you want without riding like that or resorting to that method. There’s nothing “classical” about putting your shoulders practically on the horse’s rump and pulling back on the reins to get a horse to get on the contact. Personally I don’t see anything remotely appealing about it. To each his own though.[/QUOTE]

To each their own.

I think it goes without saying that I know its not “his” method. My point was he has a point behind what he does. Im not disagreeing with you that the same results could have been achievable in a less dramatic way. I still like what was achieved, however.

[QUOTE=DreamBignRide;7538282]
To each their own.

I think it goes without saying that I know its not “his” method. My point was he has a point behind what he does. Im not disagreeing with you that the same results could have been achievable in a less dramatic way. I still like what was achieved, however.[/QUOTE]

So, the end justifies the means? No matter what the means are? Even if it’s say rollkur?

This is a great example of stretch work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TjBn1LOIok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZXdd_8eIFc

Notice how the rider is sitting in the correct and classical position?

And, to add, there are two more parts to that video. Make sure to watch. It’s great stuff (=

[QUOTE=Pembroke;7538304]
So, the end justifies the means? No matter what the means are? Even if it’s say rollkur?

This is a great example of stretch work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TjBn1LOIok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZXdd_8eIFc

Notice how the rider is sitting in the correct and classical position?

And, to add, there are two more parts to that video. Make sure to watch. It’s great stuff (=[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? Have you watched Will Faerber’s videos? Rolkur is the complete opposite of what he practices, I won’t even go into the differences. Tense, over-bent, uncomfortable etc etc etc
Yes those are good videos and funny enough goes along the SAME lines that Will Faeber preaches. Relaxation, rhythm, suppleness and working through the whole length of the back.

If the only video you have seen of him is the one posted then watch some more. He produces/transforms brilliant horses with his training methods. A horse isn’t born knowing to soften to contact, that is part of the training process.

No, no. Those videos I just posted are NOTHING like Will Faeber. And yes, I compared his work with rollkur. Force is force. Sylvia Loch achieves her relaxation work with truly classical work. You will never ever see her lying backwards on a horse, no matter what the “ends” are supposed to be. She is always sitting in a nice, classical seat. On young horses, her seat is even lighter. But never a monstrosity like that! That’s the difference. Sylvia Loch actually practices what she preaches. Unlike the Art2Ride dude, because what he did was use horrible force on an horse and I will again compare it to rollkur. It’s force and it’s just as unnecessary. And it’s just as unclassical.

Rolkur and Will produce two different rides. You could consider anything we make horses do “force”.