Unlimited access >

Help! Weaning issue..

While 6 months (or older!) would be better, there are worse things than weaning at 5 months :slight_smile:

Is the current barn set up such that mare/foal can be separated for feedings, and more ideally, separated overnight? That would make you taking the filling away that much easier on both of them.

I’d do as suggested - start Ulcer/Gastrogard (at a preventive dose for a foal) a few days before the event, keep it up for probably even a couple weeks after, then just do it. Many, many foals are weaned that way, by being taken from their dams and moved to a new farm.

Alaska changes everything!:lol:

Trailer buddy would be great. Is the mare/foal close to you?
Once she gets away from her dam and into a new environment, they are usually so bewildered that they forget about the dam. Usually the dam frets more being left behind. Having said that, I believe they do stress a lot, so making sure she is comfortable, has the same food as before weaning, minus the milk and has a kind horse in with her. Gastro is a good idea as well as 24hr food source. Think more about a stressed horse as opposed to weaning. And if it is cold/cooler, keep her warm as the stress may make her a bit shocky.

Most people stress about weaning due to the mare and or the mare and foal upsetting each other when they call. You do not have to worry about the foal making the way back.

can you start gradually separating them a little each day for a few days? Or add other friends to their current situation for a week or so? Will she have a friend at your place? Maybe the owner would let that one come hang out with them for a bit, then you could take baby and new friend home?

I would start separating them for short periods now. And work on loading now. Give mare and goal a hit before loading when you move. A screaming mare will upset the foal.