Unlimited access >

Thanksgiving lameness, now neuro (positive one-year update post 185)

Ugh, definitely still lame or lame again. I think I just didn’t jog him far enough this morning. He can take a couple okay steps here and there. Guess they are stuck inside for now and we will see what the vet says tomorrow. I am thankful that I don’t have to cook a whole dinner this year because I’m really not feeling it.

If it was an abscess, horse would be lame for longer than a few steps?
Never say never, maybe this abscess is only putting pressure at certain angles.

Still looks like the stifle not quite right here and there, why the odd lame step and then going on ok for a bit, then another odd step.

Guess that is why getting a vet and great idea, videos for vet to see will help.

2 Likes

Ugh. Vet agrees that it is probably up high (higher than the stifle) but doesn’t feel he can conclusively diagnose it in the field, so we are trying to get Petey to the teaching hospital as soon as possible next week. How the hell am I supposed to live with the suspense this weekend?

5 Likes

I’m so bummed, was really hoping your update would be a miraculously sound horse. :cry:

Jingles for answers next week. And still hoping he miraculously recovers.

3 Likes

Idk, my horse really fooled the vet when he had an abscess. On and off lameness, swelling in his upper leg, and no response to hoof testers. We had an appointment for further diagnostics but in my gut I still felt abscess and continued to soak and one of his heel bulbs felt ever so slightly soft in one spot. The vet didn’t think it was notable. I applied a little bit of pressure with my thumb and “pop!” rancid pus came out! I was thrilled :rofl: so maybe there’s still hope re an abscess.

Re the suspense, it’s hard, but at this point it is what it is (or isn’t), you won’t be able to change the ultimate diagnosis, and can’t get that diagnosis right now. So you just have to make it through…possibly with the assistance of chocolate and an alcoholic beverage(s) of your choice. Hoping for pus still!

6 Likes

The positive spin on having to live with the suspense:

Diagnostics don’t work “immediately” in a lot of situations. Sometimes you can’t see anything decisive on ultrasound or radiograph until after a few days. So waiting until next week will give the injury a chance to show itself more clearly. Plus a diagnosis probably won’t change your management much at this moment in time— stall rest is stall rest. And it still allows for a miracle to happen before you shell out thousands of dollars. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Oh no. Was really hoping it was an abscess. Jingles for you and Petey.

1 Like

I will add my abscess story. Noticed mare was just a tiny bit off while lunging. Thought huh that’s odd but nothing to be found. Next day and for the two days after dead dead lame. Swelling not quite to the knee on the lame leg that progressively got worse during stall rest. Then she was miraculously sound. Started turnout again and while swelling was still there a bit she walked sound for a few days. Then went dead lame for half an hour. No joke half an hour. While I was getting ready to take her for a walk she came out dead lame again. Then when I was getting ready to be done with other horse for the night husband asks me to bring her out again as he felt she was suddenly walking better in the stall. Sure enough she was walking fine when brought out. I throw my hands up and proceeded to liniment and wrap front legs for the night. Notice I got a glob of liniment on heel bulb. Only it wasn’t liniment it was pus from the abscess that I had apparently caused to open when I was manipulating her feet and poking around for an abscess earlier. Was the strangest presentation I have ever seen in an abscess. Hoping for you and your boy it is an abscess that just needs more time to work it’s way out.

4 Likes

I’ve been poulticing and hoof testing but there are still no signs of an abscess.

Two questions that I don’t want to bother my vet with on a Sunday:

1. Does the fact that he can and wants to roll while handgrazing mean anything about pelvic or SI injuries? I stopped him today in case he shouldn’t, but wasn’t quick enough yesterday. He looked normal while getting down, swapping sides, and getting up (with a youthful excess of enthusiasm of course).

2. Does him being able to trot big and sound if he is very up mean anything? I would think it means the hitch is pain rather than something mechanical like a locking stifle.

Petey says hi from prison:

(He likes to shove his nosie through the bars for boops and smooches.)

11 Likes

I’m still going with abscess! I can’t tell you how many times we’ve said well THIS time it’s not an abscess THIS time must be a broken stifle/ pelvis/ whatever and then $$$ later- Abscess.

1 Like

I really hope so!!! I have had literally one confirmed abscess in my…26? years of horse ownership.

1 Like

Adrenaline can cover up so many things. If he’s still fresh when your vet looks at him next, they may give him a small amount of sedation to take the edge off. Just like a human who gets in a car accident, while the adrenaline is going you may not feel anything but once you come back down, you can tell if there is an injury.

3 Likes

Dang! I’m dealing with something similar although not as dramatic as this. We are thinking for mine that is definitely SI/low back area.

I really hope for your sake it’s just a weird abscess!!

He’s such a cute guy, really hope it’s nothing serious.

4 Likes

Thanks @Lunabear1988! In addition to being a big cuddlebug, he is gorgeous and a super fancy mover who literally turns heads wherever he goes. I never thought I’d own one like him!

I’m sorry your cutie is still having some issues too. I feel like if anyone would understand this, it’s you: if this turns out to be another terminal or career-ending thing, I don’t know if I can ever face buying another horse. They’re so heartbreaking. (I know this sounds super melodramatic at this point in time but I’ve been burned before.)

3 Likes

I was saying the same thing to my husband the other night. Anytime anything is wrong without a clear answer, my mind goes to thinking to worst. It’s hard not to when we’ve been through such trauma.

Hang it there, please update! Hopefully it’s a growing horse sticky stifle or abscess!!

1 Like

A lot of horses like to roll while handwalking on stall rest. I don’t that gives any clues about where the injury may be located, though a bad pelvis or SI injury may not be able to get up and down normally.

I agree adrenaline is why he is trotting sound. That doesn’t really give you any clues other than that it’s not so severe of pain that he can’t forget about it momentarily.

I want to know how you have had the worst luck with freaky issues yet only one abscess?!?

3 Likes

Hmm something like gut pain? Injured psoas muscle?

I didn’t phrase the question well, sorry! What I meant was, would he even WANT to roll with a pelvic or SI injury, or would it be too uncomfortable/difficult? Probably it depends on the exact injury though.

The adrenaline definitely covered my DSLD horse’s lameness pretty well so I’ve BTDT too. I’m just not sure if it could cover something mechanical like a sticky stifle? I don’t know.

I am calling the hospital first thing in the morning and hopefully they can fit him in soon. I’ve never wished for the end of a 4-day weekend like this before!

4 Likes

Wishing Prisoner Petey a speedy and accurate diagnosis!

(Still going with abscess or stone bruise, keeping in mind the vet might not discover anything special but your farrier might have an “Aha!” moment next time he trims that hind hooof…) :wink:

3 Likes

Any update @Libby2563? Hoping he’s made a miraculous recovery!