Unlimited access >

Help with underweight OTTB

16% protein is not too much, and certainly not too much at 1, maybe 2lb. And even if it’s just 2lb, that’s only 145gm protein and possibly not ENOUGH, especially if he’s not eating enough hay.

Horses don’t have an inherent need for high fat diets. It’s not how they evolved. Forages are naturally low in fat. SOME horses have a higher fat requirement. It’s a lot of good marketing that has people hooked on the notion that if a feed isn’t 10% fat, it’s not high enough.

OP - glad your vet is coming Friday. A good blood workup is in order, as are a thorough look at his teeth, including sedation to put on a speculum so that his molars can be properly assessed.

3lb beet pulp/alfa combination - how much of each? Beet pulp is very high volume per pound (assuming shreds, need to know if that’s pellets), and once soaked (which should be non-negotiable for this horse) is a huge volume. That’s not what this horse needs. He needs calorie-dense feedstuffs.

What is your feed, exactly? It’s not a ration balancer, not at 16% protein. So 1lb is way under-feeding it from a nutrient perspective, not to mention he simply needs a lot more calories than he’s consuming (voluntarily or otherwise).

2 Likes

3lb beet pulp/alfa combination - how much of each? Beet pulp is very high volume per pound (assuming shreds, need to know if that’s pellets), and once soaked (which should be non-negotiable for this horse) is a huge volume. That’s not what this horse needs. He needs calorie-dense feedstuffs.

we started adding in beet pulp about a week ago so I am not sure but will check when I go out there today

What is your feed, exactly? It’s not a ration balancer, not at 16% protein. So 1lb is way under-feeding it from a nutrient perspective, not to mention he simply needs a lot more calories than he’s consuming (voluntarily or otherwise).[/QUOTE]

it’s our own mix. And the reason for the cut was that he was not eating it at all.
also it has started raining here a couple days ago and not stopped. Should I get a rain sheet since he I so underweight even though he has access to barn and wind block. Feel kinda dumb asking that just never had to deal with such a fragile horse.

I have sheets/blankets for all my horses. I would probably put a sheet on your horse unless it doesn’t go out at all; he obviously needs all the help he can get to keep from burning excess calories.

Glad your vet is coming. I agree that a full workup is in order - including teeth. Something is not right if the horse isn’t eating hay or grain.

1 Like

I have a mediumweight for him but not a turnout sheet or rain sheet. Guess I’m going to have to try and find a relatively cheap one pretty quick.

UPDATE: Will was seen by the vet today and said blood tests were normal. Feces had parasite (I think our power Pac bottle is out of date) so going to use quest per her suggestion. Teeth were fine. Temp was fine. Did have some fox tail bristles in his gums which I told the barn owner about and she was mad because we’ve always had good quality hay. Treating for ulcers with a prescription that is $7 a day! Also she said to up his alfalfa intake or even switch to alfalfa hay. And add aloe juice.

Quest Plus is the preferred dewormer this time of year anyway, so make sure it’s the Plus, not the regular, so you can kill tapeworms as well.

The BO shouldn’t be too mad. Foxtail can get into the best of fields.