Unlimited access >

Help

Thank you. You are a help. :+1:
The carrying bag I ordered just arrived today and we will try it tomorrow.
Right now she is eating her supper in my lap, her favorite place for eating. This morning she was very good and quiet while I held her on the kitchen counter and washed cat food out of her tail (sometimes lap-eating can get a little messy).

3 Likes

I am sorry about your old cats.
I think my little girl just wants to be with me, and I think she also sometimes loses track of where I am. The Gabapentin seems to help with this and I hope the new carrying bag will too. I wish I could find some sort of cat-seat I could set up on the kitchen counter where she could sit with me and be secure leaving my hands free to work. Hopefully the new bag will work.

3 Likes

She sounds like a precious girl. Will be interested in what she thinks of the carrier.

1 Like

Excellent ideas!!

1 Like

Thank you so much.

I hope the cat sling, baby bag works for your kitty.

Let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

Thank you. I will. Right now she is sleeping off her morning dose of Gabapentin, and I will unpack the new carry bag and we will try it out when she wakes up.

2 Likes

could you set up a stool or a chair next to your workspace? We had to do that and eventually caved and bought a pedestal scratcher.and the kitties love it. They get to nap on their pedestal and our hands are free to use the keyboard.

My kitties definitely fuss and meow when they want attention or play. I’m eager to hear if the kitty sling works for her.

2 Likes

Thank you. That is one cool-looking cat tree!

While she is awake, with a full tummy but apparently not ready for another nap right now, I’m going to unpack our new carry bag and see what she thinks of it.

Wish us luck!

2 Likes

Maybe already mentioned but Feliway might be helpful.

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies and recommendations. :slight_smile:

@usernameTaken @Fiesta01 @MunchingonHay and everyone –

Thank you all so much for your replies and concern and suggestions!

We tried the carrier bag yesterday. She was very drowsy from the dose of Gabapentin, and she let me put her in the bag and zip it up. I sat and held her for a minute or so, then got up and walked across the room and sat down again and she only gave one small, soft protest/comment. Then I unzipped the bag and let her step out of it.

I don’t think it was a really good test because she was so obviously still under the effect of the Gabapentin, very relaxed and not wiggling. I really want to wait to see if the bag will help when she’s anxious and MEOWING for me, but right now the Gabapentin is working so well that she isn’t being anxious. I hate to keep drugging her, but I am also planning to ask my doc about Gabapentin for me, and I learned 30 years ago that sometimes meds help us when other therapies don’t.

A couple of things I do not like about this bag –
the zipper. I was so afraid her fur would be caught in it, because there is no flap of fabric to cover the zipper teeth and protect her fur.
Also, you really need 3 hands, or a helper – one hand to hold the cat still, one hand to hold the zipper together, one hand to zip or unzip while protecting the cat’s fur from being caught in the teeth.

the hole for her head. This is meant to be for security, to keep her from getting out of the bag, and is adjustable to fit the animal. BUT, it is adjusted by a drawstring, and while it looked good in the picture online, in reality the drawstring looked like a major strangling hazard!

Because of the zipper and the head-hole, you cannot reach in and stroke the cat. So, while this design may secure the cat in the bag and protect her from jumping out, you can’t soothe her by petting. You can only stroke the bag.

I love the soft material and padding of the bag. The crossbody strap is nice and soft and padded too, and wide, and doesn’t dig into your shoulder or chest, and is adjustable. I am a “woman of size” and the strap was plenty long enough; I am also old, with sore muscles and joints, and the strap was comfortable for me.

This is the bag I ordered, from Amazon –

My cat weighs just over 6 lbs, and I got the Medium size. The Large would give her more room, I think; but OTOH the head hole might not go small enough to secure her.

We will try this bag again, hopefully when she’s not so drugged up. I also want to try one of the open-top carrier bags, and the baby-sling style modified for cats/dogs, without the leg holes.

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed review! Some very good information. If she takes to it, then I think maybe you could work with the zipper and drawstring. Keeping fingers crossed that it works out - hopefully with this bag but if not, then one of the other options.

1 Like

Can you post a general picture of her?

If she’s lean versus chubby that honestly plays into the recommendations. I was cat sitting and the owner complained about them yowling for food. These cats were thin and truly needed more food.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the update on the cat sling. Hopefully after kitty getting used to the routine, it will be easier to put her in the bag since she will find it as a place of comfort. I like the idea of the bag being too big, more of a thunder shirt, caressing and snuggly as opposed to having too much room.

I hope the routine becomes easier soon.

1 Like