Unlimited access >

He's Forrest! New horse thread

Update: he’s not limping but he’s TIGHT. Pogo stick trotting around the round pen he goes out in right now. BO called it “tight-rope-ing” at the trot but I didn’t see him do anything myself. I ran my hands over him and he’s definitely tight as a bowstring.

Here are his feet, like I said. Atrocious. He did toss a shoe over the fence this afternoon - he is the biggest on the farm and has the tiniest shoes. For now 🫣

7 Likes

Hoooooleeeee craaaaap :scream: :scream: :scream: What fresh hell is that?? He’s just limping on all 4 feet :frowning:

15 Likes

The only thing “good” here is that his hoof quality is fantastic to not be broken to smithereens with as much foot as there is. That’s good strong wall. And, his heels are doing a fantastic job trying not to just collapse under all that. So, there are some nice feet under all that!

21 Likes

My exact reaction!!!

I knew they were overdue. 0% blame on the seller agent - that’s all on the owner (who I believe was his trainer too). So common to just stop maintaining them when they retire - I’m betting on one heck of a dental is needed too.

I put DMSO and Surpass on the capped hock as suggested by frantic googling (no Sore No More at TSC or dex laying around). He’s still getting turned out.

But Lordy if he ain’t the SWEETEST

7 Likes

He’s shiny and has a good coat - his tail is sad though. I think he was well cared for until recently.

He’s also downhill - I’d guess an inch or two shorter at the wither vs his hip at the moment. He will be 5 in April, so I don’t know if he will grow any, but I’m hoping by fixing his feet he will level out. His hinds look almost as bad 🫣

4 Likes

Lots and lots and LOTS of younger TBs coming OT grow quite a bit once they can put energy into proper growth, and not training/racing.

11 Likes

I’m liking Milo for the Atlantis animated movie - but I also like Henry.

I’m reading Sarah J Maas right now - I’ve gone through ALL the ACOTAR and TOG names and none have stuck :sweat_smile:. I have a running list, but I’m so much better at show/registered names than I am barn names. If I’m not careful this guy will be named “Buddy” or “Little Man”. Learned my lesson - we had a pony named Bay Pony for a few years because we didn’t come up with a barn name fast enough :laughing:.

1 Like

How about Percy?

5 Likes

He is absolutely darling! And good lordy, those feet. But I agree with JB–it’s a very good sign that they haven’t just collapsed or chipped horribly! Hopefully they will trim up well.

I’ve no suggestions for names, but I definitely relate to accidentally ending up with silly ones. Bought a youngster in 2019 who was the youngest we had by far. Tried to give him a Greek pantheon barn name to match the rest of the herd, but mostly just called him “Babu” because he was very much the baby horse. 4 years later we’ve just given up, the Greek name never fit, he will forever be Babu :rofl:

Good luck with your new fellow, he is stunning!!

2 Likes

Oof that poor buddy with those feet! I’m sure he’ll be much more comfortable and start loosening up once they get taken care of.

I love Milo as a barn name but Henry could work, too!

2 Likes

Wow!! Talk about race angle trim - this should really be the poster child image for explaining ‘race horse angles’ - no way even a novice horse person could miss that.

Not surprised he threw a shoe, with toes that long I bet the other will come flying off soon too.

On the plus side, despite how long and underrun those toes are, you’re in a good spot that they haven’t chipped and I see very few fever lines. This is going to be a long process for the two of you. If you have a good relationship with your farrier, it’s worth asking them to show you how to run a rasp around the hooves in between trims to help speed up the process without taking too much off at once.

With feet that long don’t panic if he starts abscessing part-way through the correction.

5 Likes

I’m praying not but I’ve resigned myself to it :laughing:.

Farrier comes next week - he’s fabulous so I’ll see if he wants to go barefoot or do some creative shoes. I can rasp him as needed though!

3 Likes

What a sweet face he has. What about Remi/Remy? In the same vein as Milo (which I also quite like!) but I agree with the poster above who said an ie name might suit him well.

Can’t wait to see his glow up :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Making friends… we will see how he settles in. Unfortunately the dominate horses in both pastures currently HATE him (they’re on either side of his stall inside), but we are taking it slowwww. There will probably be some herd shuffling as we try to get him in a group.

He is very sweet to the mares though!

16 Likes

He has his own pony! Is that your pony?

1 Like

No she’s the BO’s. ADORABLE and fat as a tick (working on it). Both my geldings LOVE her

3 Likes

He reminds me of Jude Law! image image

12 Likes

ALFIE!!!

He does have a Jude Law way about him.

9 Likes

Man alive! Those feets :dizzy_face: But also pretty incredible they haven’t collapsed or chipped away to nothingness. I bet in 2-3 cycles they will be looking like they belong to another horse.

He has such a sweet face - he’s one lucky pony!

3 Likes

I love the name Jude - for a mare/girl child. Same with Ezra - another mare/girl child name I’d love to use :laughing:. For some reason I have TONS of mare names but am coming up blank here.

Alfie is super cute, we’ve also tossed around Charlie (since he came from Charles Town), Milo is still in the running, and a couple others.

4 Likes