Unlimited access >

High lining for camping

Thank you. this is what I was hoping.

1 Like

Our horses were solid with tying and standing so never had a problem with ours but have seen some wrecks.

Helpful hint: When putting up your highline, use a come-along at one end. Helps to keep the line tight because inevitably they will sag.

1 Like

AwiUsdi- I purchased the ratchets that were suggested in the video. they are plastic on the outsides, but metal inside. very heavy.

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting. They sure look easier to use for when we only have two horses on a short line. I may give it a try. Thanks for the info!

Never had a problem with horse camping and high-tie lines, except for the first two times when my horse untied himself from the safety knot and cruised down the line sampling everybody elseā€™s hay.

After the second time, I bought a Blocker Tie Ring and he was unable to liberate himself for midnight snacks after that. I left it long enough for him to lie down, after he built himself a hay nest. He had been trained to accept hobbles and drag lines, so he was not freaked out by restraint.

An alternative is to use a truckers hitch knot. Easy to make, makes a line very tight, and easy to undo.

1 Like

I certainly hope she raked up all the hay the horse didnā€™t eat and took it home with her for disposal if no manure bins are provided. Weā€™ve always used hay bags; they make less of a mess and keeps the hay contained and off the ground. Theyā€™re big mesh bags open at the top with d-ring ties to attach to a highline or trailer.

1 Like

Who is ā€œsheā€? What are you talking about?

The gal in Nezzyā€™s video.

Thanks!

How does a horse choke itself on a highline? No swivel on the line? Trying to picture how this could happen.

They reach up with a hind foot to scratch their face and hook their hoof over the tie line.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen that happen, not with my horse. Luckily horse didnā€™t panic and waited for someone to come help her.

We never had swivels on our rings and horses would wind and unwind themselves around the hay bag. Never had any of them choke themselves.

can someone explain the steps to teach a horse to high line? Or link to some good videos?
all of mine will cross tie, and stand tied at the trailer calmly with all sorts of commotion. I love to go camping and now am limited to places with stalls or pens. I would like to make more places and options available to us.

We never had to explicitly train for high-lining, when the horses had accepted cross-ties and regular ties for grooming etc. If you are apprehensive because of a particular horse, or just very safety-minded, you can practice tying the horse higher than head level, with slack. Not so much slack that they can hang up a hoof. Stay close by and see how it goes.

But I donā€™t think the transition from general tying to high-line tying is a big challenge for most horses, especially when they can see other horses down the line. And grab a bite of hay from a haynet or bag.

2 Likes

Thanks. Iā€™m not particularly worried about any of mine, they are pretty steady. I just want to make sure I do it right, Iā€™ve been reading about swivels and so forth, so I want to do it at home first and make sure it do it right.

I ended up using this tie ring, because my horse learned to untie safety knots and go browsing other horsesā€™ hay:

This specific version comes with a screw bolt that you would not need for tying to a highline. You only would need the grip-part and (possibly) the strong bungee clip. I did not use the bungee clip; just tied to the highline using lead rope and tie ring. It did work! My hay-tasting gelding was still in place every camp morning.

You need to be careful using the carabiner type clips around horses. They open easily to grab ropes, halters, SKIN, on horses that rub. Our Vet warned us against using them, said he had stitched quite a few horses ā€œgrabbedā€ by carabiner type fasteners, in all sizes. Made for some nasty scars.