Unlimited access >

Hind end soreness

My 13 yr old gelding does his ‘stopping’ when he is starting to become hock sore, and then compensates and his back gets sore. Have you looked into the hocks or stifles yet as a source? Unfortunately, no quick answer than to start some simple diagnostics and rule things in/out one by one. I wouldn’t jump to an MRI or bone scan without doing some straightforward hind end x-rays first. If these have been done already, what were the results?

My checklist would include:

• Hock & stifle x-rays
  • Front leg flexions (if not already done) as they can compensate front issues on their hind
  • hoof evaluation for any soreness issues there or improper balance
  • If all of these are negative, you will need a sports medicine/lameness vet to make further recommendations, such as spinal x-rays, bone scans or an MRI. Bone scans show areas of inflammation that may or may not be an issue. An MRI is best defined once you determine what joint or area is the issue and it will identify issues such as tearing in muscles or ligaments.

Of course, there can always be more than one thing going on at a time too and it takes a combination of things to manage the issues. For my older one, it’s IA injections as needed, massage prn, and full turnout. He gets an oral supplement but that’s more to appease me in all reality.

Kissing spines
Neck arthritis
EPM
Lyme disease
Hocks/stifles

That’s where I would start, maybe not in that order depending on what I was seeing and the vet wanted to do.

OP, try uploading photos and linking them here:

www.antifaro.com

you can make a youtube account or post videos on FB for the videos.

http://www.antifaro.com/images/mklein0011/rocky2.jpg

http://www.antifaro.com/images/mklein0011/rocky1.jpg

At this point he pins his ears and does a little hop with both hind legs. If you continue to press he will kick out. The rest of his back withers to tail no response.

there is a ligament that attaches at the SI he may have torn that

I second the suggestions to get the PSSM hair test. its only 40 dollars My warmblood mare went through H*ll and I wasted thousands of dollars on vets (including one of our current USET vets) before I had her tested on my own for PSSM. She had been retired for the last three years because she was not safe to ride with her incoordination, bucking etc. I put her on the PSSM high fat diet and saw slight improvement, then switched her to a supplement referred to as ALCAR that is used for PSSM horses and Vit E instead of the high fat and major improvement in just 2 weeks! I am now doing light groundwork and lungeing to get her back in shape for riding. It makes me cry that I didn’t discover it sooner. I would at least try the diet even without testing and see if there is a change in your horse. Lots of information out there about it.