Unlimited access >

Hip, groin, inner thigh, psoas pain - which doc would be the best to diagnose and treat?

Agree with check-in with urogynocogist for pelvic floor dysfunction. Also problematic can be large fibroids and ovarian cysts that press on nerves inside the pelvic bowl. The pain from PFD can be excruciating

I was having some similar issues, with the QLs and some nerve stuff in particular. I went to an ortho and had MRI of my lumbar, hip, and thigh all the way down to above the knee. Nothing. Tried hip injection. Went to PT. Did all the dry needling, etc. Some things helped short term but I would not make any real progress.

Moved across the country and found a chiro who linked it to old lumbar/SI dysfunction and got me activating the right nerves and muscles again. My chiro is not one who says you have to come in at X intervals forever. But sure, it does help to go more frequently at first when you are rebuilding neuromuscular pathways and movement patterns. He also had me do some of the basic Foundation Training poses. That helped a lot. There’s some info on YouTube, and I got the ebook for my Kindle app to have a reference with the photos.

Later on, I started going to a Rolfer also who helped me maintain. I have some asymmetry which makes the situation chronic but I can go months between chiro visits now, and I can catch the problem before it gets really bad.

1 Like

I had a sports horse and people massage person tell me why my hip hurt at a horse show when I was volunteered. I went to an orthopedic surgeon. I’ve been back for other things. They have never tried to cut. They send me to physical therapy to see if that works and so far, it always has.

There are hip abductor, psoas, and ilium (illiopsoas syndrome) stretching and strengthening exercises that can be done at home with a ball and/or stretchy bands. They are on YouTube too. Look for tight hip abductors and illiopsoas syndrome.

All these things are the story of my daily like. The two things that help me the most are:

1. a good chiropractor for immediate relief and to prevent moderate irritation from blowing up into a full on spasm

2. Reformer Pilates one on one with a good trainer to correct imbalances, strengthen my core, improve flexibility and learn to active the correct muscles

1 Like