Unlimited access >

Hitch Balls and License Plates

sucks, right?

2 Likes

Semantics game.

Nope.
But thanks for playing.

Incidentally, this takes this too far off the reservation.
TTFN

1 Like

I’ve never been stopped for my trailer hitch. Just popped over to the truck and yup it’s attached to the frame and doesn’t obscure the tag.

Mr LS has illegal tint on his windows. He has been stopped and ticketed. He paid his fine and still has the illegal tint. He’s not mad about it. That’s his choice to make. Baby sis had illegal tint too, got stopped once and was able to present her vehicle to the police at the station with the tint removed and ticket was dropped/revoked/not filed.

I guess it’s impossible for cops to ticket uniformly. I mean if they handed out speeding tickets to everyone speeding we’d need a boatload more cops.

6 Likes

Yup.
This is the type of hitch I have had on all of my hauling vehicles. And except for my first, were part of a factory tow package.
I admit I eyeballed my receiver today to see how much the 2-5/16 ball might obscure my license plate.
And, it appears that a small part of the plate could be covered.
I imagine that could be a problem with my current BP trailer, but when I hauled GNs the plate should have been completely uncovered < except, of course, by the front of the trailer.

2 Likes

Not to mention that horse trailers aren’t made to have the hitch 2 feet or more off the ground. How do they even manage to hitch to a bumper ball? Well, maybe if it’s an Explorer, but can’t see how a truck would work.

2 Likes

Older trucks were not so far off the ground.

(I agree with your point, BTW. I do not know anyone whose trailer would ride level having the ball in the bumper.)

1 Like

Again,folks, no trailers involved.
It is not a question of whether or not a trailer performs well on said hitch, or whatnot.
it was simply about a 2 1/2 inch hitch ball obstructing the plate.
When the larger size had not been called into question for many years prior.

Whoo boy. Sometimes it’s best not to speak if you’re unsure, instead of making everyone aware of the lack of knowledge present…

Edit for knowledge’s sake: The ball on the bumper is attached to solely… the bumper. Which is not part of the frame. On older trucks with steel bumpers, one could probably get away with hauling a (nose-high) utility trailer or maybe a light fishing boat on one. The tongue weight and potential shearing forces preclude them from hauling ANYthing substantial.

Meanwhile, the receiver is attached to the FRAME of the vehicle. It is a tube of heavy-gauge metal, not sheet metal, and is welded or bolted. There are different classes of receivers. The hitch is also of heavy gauge metal, and is classed. The ball is bolted on the hitch. The pin, which BJ so sarcastically speaks of, is not responsible for the weight of the trailer. It is responsible for keeping the hitch in the receiver. It does not carry weight - it simply prevents the hitch from sliding out.

One might think this would be obvious, but common sense is not so common I suppose…

7 Likes

Yeah, she does post that they dont use the truck for hauling. Which why being pulled over for the trailer ball and being indignant about it so curious…

3 Likes

I did not say I don’t use the truck for hauling, I said no trailer was involved in the incident, thus whatever one thinks about the trailer/hitch combination is irrelevant.

On a related note, yesterday I was driving home in my other car. It truely has an obstructed licenseplate, because I have a chair lift on the back which does cover the bottom half of the license plate I can’t do nothing about that, perhaps a manufacturing flaw.
A sheriff’s deputy followed me, nice big Chevy Avalange, so closely that all I could see in my rearview was the hood. I expected to get pulled over - but wasn’t.

Nice piece of reckless driving there…

Ok?

Take your issue with LE over to CE with the people who will agree with you. Doesn’t belong in the horse forums.

2 Likes

Awe, thank you.
It was a ‘horse’ related issue, seeing so many people have trailer hitches.

So you are a cop, and can’t see where they are harassing the public?
Good to know.
And why would you think people in CE would agree with me?
:thinking:

1 Like

I am not a cop. I am not related to any cops.
I am also the type of person who gets caught when no one else does. (Real life example - The whole world parks in the spot between the driveway and the hydrant and does not get a ticket, I park there once and I get a ticket - we measured, I was 6" too close to the hydrant, others have been much closer and not gotten tickets.)

I still do not see it as harassing the public at all. The person who is telling you that you are breaking a law is not the person to be angry at. Be angry at yourself for not knowing the rules or simply not following the rules. Consider yourself to be lucky to have gotten away with doing it wrong for so long instead of being angry that you finally got caught.

3 Likes