Unlimited access >

Hock Laceration & Joint: Updated 12/12 Under saddle video* graphic photo*

I could just use a lot of prayer, jingles, speedy healing thoughts, whatever you can offer.

Last Wednesday I pulled up for my lesson to discover a laceration/ puncture on the inside of my horses hock. I knew it wasn’t stellar and called the vet from his turn out paddock. She came, probed it & did several x rays. She consulted with a surgeon and they both agreed to have me wrap it and give him aggressive antibiotics.

Fast forward to his recheck yesterday and he was rushed to the University Vet & underwent general anesthesia, a joint flush, debriding and a surgical repair of the wound leaving a small opening for draining after more xrays, ultrasound, and fluid sampling. He was up and in his stall for the night by midnight. By 8am he managed to pull out his stitches so was re stitched and wrapped (and hopefully sedated).

He is hopefully coming home on Friday. I am praying I can manage it so it doesn’t become infected. I am worried about my skill set but I have a good support system and am I pretty good wrapper.

I don’t even know why I am posting this but I could really use the thoughts for him. He is a young, fit gelding with lots of talent and I really hope he recovers. I am still a bit in shock of it all. It was such a small wound

13 Likes

Big jingles for your guy!

I also just had a hock puncture wound last weekend, but luckily no joint involvement. And another hock wound 2 months ago. So I’m pretty good at wrapping hocks now. How do they even do these things to themselves?

4 Likes

Big fat jingles for you. :heart: :chains:

Those punctures near the joint can be no joke, it is good he is in top notch care. Your vet likely gave him some heavy hitting abx (like Exceed), just stay on top of bandage wrapping/cleaning and if he has an oral ABX too, feed with a probiotic.

Do you know how to do a spider wrap?

4 Likes

Jingles!

2 Likes

Jingles for both of you. Dealt with a similar situation years ago. As @beowulf said, the cleanliness and wrapping are key along with keeping to the antibiotic schedule faithfully. Also, I would get twice a day temp and call vet immediately if any change. Keep calm. You can do this. :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

He was on IM Gentamicin and Excenel. He is coming home on something oral (not sulfa) something A and ends in fluxin? I was not focusing. I have had no call today so hoping no news is good news?

I am actually an excellent bandager according to the vets, thankfully. They are actually wanting me to immobilize the leg more so he can’t crank the leg and rip the stitches.

i still feel like this is a dream. I want to wake up

3 Likes

All good thoughts and jingles!

2 Likes

Surgeon called. He had some “concerning discharge” at bandage change and has to stay. I am very sad and scared :frowning: The surgeon did an exploratory and found not synovial structure damage so I don;t even know what to think.

2 Likes

Still jingling for you! Hopefully this is just a minor setback and he’ll be home soon! :heart:

1 Like

Jingles! Hope he’s able to come home soon and makes a complete recovery.

2 Likes

My horse of a lifetime (and dam to four fillies) had the same injury, came back to show another 5 years without any residual issues before Mama duties. Jingles for a great recovery.

2 Likes

We had one lay open her chest 30 years ago- laid it open just to the inside of the joint. It was so deep you could put your hand in it. We did exactly as we were instructed by the vet and she healed w barely a scar. :pray: and :crossed_fingers:for OP’s beloved pony.

2 Likes

That sounds awful! It is amazing how scary the wounds can look in the first few days, and then seem to quickly look so much better. Or maybe it’s just that, after our initial shock is over, we get used to looking at them? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

He’s coming home!

He still had discharge at bandage change but I believe they are ruling out joint fluid. He is sound, happy, and not swollen.

He comes home to strict bandage requirements (stable wraps up the entire leg) and an oral antibiotic given 1x per day. He surgically closed half of the wound so stall rest until those stitches come out. Antibiotics until it’s fully closed.

Send all the healing thoughts that I can do this for him.

11 Likes

Not out of the woods but Thankful to see this face for our Thanksgiving :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

17 Likes

Many more prayers for complete healing. He’s beautiful.

3 Likes

So happy he’s home! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

What a pretty boy. You’ll do fine, Mom. Sending healing jingles for both of you. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

The weekend went ok.

Saturday was my first time seeing the wound and it looked great. Sunday is was a hot, swollen mess- emerg call into the vet. We stayed the course and I did an even more careful wrap job. Monday it was looking much better. Yesterday we had a recheck with the vet and it looked about the same as Monday but he hadn’t had any bute and the swelling was still subsided. We have added some omeprazole.

Hoping it looks the same or better at today’s bandage change.

Plan is stitches come out next tuesday, 2 more days of wrapping and stall rest, and then half days in the medical paddock by next friday.

7 Likes

Jingles for improvement today and from here on out!!

1 Like