Unlimited access >

Hoof abscess after a month? Could it be something else?

Ugh! We had an abscess that needed to be carved out to resolve and it took 9 weeks until it grew out enough and hardened up that we could get a shoe on. My guy was on soft paddock turnout those whole 9 weeks.

Yes! Those are awesome!

1 Like

I’ve used Animalinex - it comes in both a horse hoof shape and a large pad you can cut to fit. Great product - has the poultice built into the pad. I did put Ichthmmol dab on the abscess opening, then applied the animalintex pad. It does a great job of absorbing ooziness and its a good cushion.

1 Like

A unresolved abscess can turn into bigger problems that can affect the coffin bone or other structures. Radiographs.

Forget soaking LOL Poultice and wrap is the way to go. Epsom salt paste (cheap and easy), Animalintex ($$$ if it’s going to take a while), wrap and turn out. Yes to the Gorilla tape boot! But also, I have used the Easy Boot Rx with very good results for turnout on top of a packed and wrapped foot. A baby diaper with a generous Gorilla tape wrap (with some vetwrap in between ) can work very well too

How as it determined there are 2 more abscesses?

I’m also a fan of putting a gallon sized (or appropriate) baggie over the entire foot prior to wrapping. I’ve used the poultice pads and love the ease of them, but my go to is still the epsom salt paste with diaper.

I second the Animalintex suggestion. Much easier. It took a week of wrapping for mine to blow, and ironically, it came out the bottom and coronary band around the same time. My gelding is super sensitive and was nearly three-legged lame for several days (a couple before it blew and a couple after). Vet couldnt believe how much he was milking it. Some are just sensitive. That was in July. He’s been fine since. I did have to keep the hoof wrapped and clean until the solar hole closed in (about 3 weeks) and that was a pain.

I use the Animalintex as well. If you know where the abscess is, you can cut a smaller pad for just that area of the hoof and don’t need to use as large of a piece. Dampen the pad slightly before applying, wrap with vet wrap and gorilla tape, and no need to soak. I also got a Easyboot Trail Hoof Boot since my horse can’t go without a front shoe and it helps preserve the wrap.

Just an FYI - I wrapped and waited out an “abscess” with 3 vet visits over 3 weeks before we determined (after normal xrays) that it was likely a navicular bone bruise or very severe bruise of the frog. It took 3 months for him to come back sound with shoes and a pad cut out over the frog.

Keep in mind that abscesses can reinfect. If the horse is still limping, I’d have them on antibiotics. Penicillin if you are comfortable giving your own injections. If not, perhaps something like Uniprim. I’d keep them on them for a good week to 10 days. Of course, you should get your vet’s advice on it.

My own mare had an abscess a few weeks ago. This has been a very bad year for abscesses because of so much rain / mud, etc. I’ve heard tons of people reporting abscesses. She was on three legs for bit and I was terrified she had broken a leg or something. So yes, abscesses can be very scary.

Word of advice on Uniprim if you end up going that route. Mix it with some oats, molasses, and a little olive oil. Otherwise it is like flour and goes all over the place. You will have it in your eyes, nose, and mouth the first time your horse snorts into the bucket. And your horse will have it all over their face. I found that out the hard way the first time I just mixed the powder into her oats.

Hang in there, it is super hard to see your horse in pain for such a long time! My horse had an abscess that took 6 weeks to start draining and was lame for 8 weeks. The thing would drain a little, I would think its better and stop wrapping, next day horse is lame again…

Wrap with wet animalintex, vetwrap over that then duct tape to make a boot that will stay on 24 hours. Really put alot of duct tape around the toe because that wears off first. Re-wrap every day and keep going until the horse is sound for several days.

If that does not work you may need to get systemic antibiotics to help clear it up. I had to resort to that for the 6 week abscess and horse was fine after a couple of days.

Good luck and have a glass of wine to calm your nerves.

Btw, you can also, of course, give bute to help with swelling / pain.