Unlimited access >

Hoof boot help - yes again

Personally I’ve always struggled with Scoot Boots. They hurt my hands to put on/off and I never could get the fit quite right. A lot of folks love them, though.

My favorites are the Equine Fusion boots. They can accommodate a pad, have a variety of sizes, and different closure systems depending on how rigorously the horse will be moving. Riding Warehouse stocks them so there’s pretty easy returns.

Easyboot Gloves are great in terms of retention and customizability, but they’re hard to put on and take off (and they suck if you don’t have the fit just right). I’ve heard good things about the EasyBoot Sneakers, but haven’t used them. I’m not a fan of the Back Countrys or Trails.

I wanted to love Flex Boots, but my horses wore through them in less than a month on my rocky CA soil. I couldn’t justify them for the price.

I’ve heard great things about Floating Boots, but have never tried them.

If the fit is wrong the Scoots are really hard to get on and off. And the sizes go up very incrementally compared to other brands, meaning there are more sizes and you need the exact right one. I put the boots on just over half way and let maresy put her foot down to step into them. She lifts her foot for me and waits until I say ok and puts her foot down and the boot goes on all the way.

1 Like

The straps are what always cause me pain. I can get them on the foot fine but then securing the straps is a struggle. It helps some to do them with a hoof pick but doesn’t always work. I haven’t tried the new Enduros–they look neat, but…more straps.

1 Like

Ah. I hook a hoofpick through the hole. They get easier as the boot ages. Could also use needle nose pliers.

If you’re referring to the Cavallo gaiters they’re like putting on bell boots. They go on the horse, then the boot goes on.

Those pads are RUBBISH. Mine tore and disintegrated in the first use.

I chucked Easyboot pads in and no problem.

All my scoot boots disintegrated recently. Every one. The heel area where the pastern strap attaches - I’d had problems with the pastern and toe straps tearing after a while, but for the actual boot to crumble?

None of my other gear has done this. I still have some old macs in fine condition.

Poor materials I think

I disagree. There is a world of difference between one size and the next. A three is tight and a four is floppier than a ragdoll at a dog park. That’s what makes them really unforgiving. When my lad is trimmed, a three is still too tight but a four? Don’t bother. About two weeks in a four is OK.

They need half sizes.

1 Like

Yes the fit needs to be pretty tight, so you’d have to fit with a pad in. I would worry that adding a pad to boots that already fit would make them too snug.

Another vote for Cavallos- I did a good amount of arena work in Simples in a barefoot transition horse, he went well in them and they were easy to put on and definitely trend rounder shaped. Their brand of pads come in multiple types and are easy to cut and durable. I’ve used them over a shoe too actually and the hardest pads and boot held up completely fine.

2 Likes

I have recently been thinking about getting a set of boots and a friend suggested the Easyboot Fury Heart boots.

https://www.easycareinc.com/our_boots/Easyboot-Fury-Heart.asp

I’ve used both Cavallos and Scoot Boots, and I like both. I ride on very rocky trails and gravel roads, and both brands last about 500 miles for me.

The Cavallos are easier to put on and take off, and it’s easy to get the right size if you measure correctly. The Cavallo Simple boots did not fit my horse very well, but the Cavallo Treks were perfect. Over several years I only lost one once when my horse got his foot wedged between two embedded rocks. He pulled his foot out of the boot, but there was no damage to either his hoof or the boot. I just put it back on and continued with my ride. Another advantage of Cavallos is that they can be used as a therapy boot. I once used one to keep bandaging in place while I was treating an abscess.

On the downside, Cavallos are hard to keep clean. The velcro fasteners wear out, but Cavallo includes a replacement set with the boots. Also, the top of the boot (where it touches the coronary band) can become cracked. I always had to put duct tape there to keep it from rubbing.

I like the open design of the Scoot Boots. The back fits around the heel bulbs, and the top fits below the coronary band, so the boots can’t rub if the fit is right. They’re also very easy to clean–just rinse them with water. And there’s no velcro to trap dirt and debris.

For me, the biggest disadvantage of Scoot Boots is that it can be hard to get the right size, even with good measurements. For this reason, I think it’s a good idea for first time users to try sizing shells or demo boots before buying. You can get demo boots or a sizing kit with boot shells at Try Scoot Boots (https://tryscootboots.com/ ). Other vendors may also offer a similar service.

Another disadvantage of Scoot Boots is that they are harder to put on than the Cavallos. I have to use a hoof pick with the Scoot Boots, and if I ever lost a boot on a ride it could be hard to put back on without a pick.

@fivestrideline, IIWM, I’d go with the Cavallos since you’re new to boots. They’re sturdy and easy to put on. They can be used with pads (although I’d try them without pads first), and they would be a good boot to have when you start more vigorous riding. Later on, when you’re more familiar with boots, you might want to try Scoot Boots or one of the other brands people have recommended.

4 Likes

I wanted to add something to the pad discussion. When I had my Hackney pony in front boots to drive because my road got “improved” with tons of large gravel, his coronet bands got irritated. I tried using vetwrap around the coronet band, and it stopped the irritation. And I could embarrass my very macho pony by making him wear pink vetwrap. He was gelded at age 10, and never let anyone forget that he’d spent a good chunk of his life as a stallion.

It’s driving me crazy that I can’t think of the brand boots I used on him. They had cables that were adjusted with a dial, and I hated those things. As I mentioned upthread, it didn’t take much for them to loosen up while driving, especially when trotting a lot.

Rebecca

I’m leaning this way. I have been looking at the website and I think the intro boots or the treks will work (he’s very fine boned). I’m all for ease of use!

On another note, has anyone beveled a breakover into Cavallo boots? Or even felt the need to? My one concern is we are still pulling toes back (they’re SO CLOSE to where we want), but I look at the pictures online and to my amateur eyes it looks like the tread could stand to be pulled back a bit. Ironically the “slim” boots have a breakover built in, but the regulars don’t.

I’m rasping my horse’s toes, so rasping a boot isn’t particularly daunting. But I also don’t know if maybe IRL the geometry is better, or if it’s even a tread I could get the rasp to bite.

I’ve never felt the need to bevel a breakover into either the Cavallos or the Scoot Boots. I’m not doing any fancy riding, just W/T/C, but my horse picks up all three gaits with no issues–no stumbling, no problems maintaining the gaits. Somewhere I saw instructions on beveling a breakover for Scoot Boots, but I didn’t pay much attention because I don’t need to do that. And I don’t know if Cavallos could be beveled. In any case, I think you certainly don’t need to bevel with what you’re doing now.

Whatever boot you buy, be very careful measuring the hooves, especially the length. And the first time you put the boots on your horse expect that he will be high stepping for a bit until he gets used to them.

I think you’d find value in listening to this podcast:

I know if I ever need hoof boots I’ll listen again and contact her.

1 Like

I’ve used Cavallo and Flex Boots, and 100000% I’d go with Cavallo. They are easy to put on and take off, they clean up well, and don’t come off if they’re fitted correctly. I had a mini turned out full time in a full set and they never once came off of her in the paddock. They dry out pretty quickly when wet, and you can absolutely add pads in the bottom, just make sure to measure for them and pay attention to trim cycles, the pads may not fit very well late in his trimming cycle.

Flex Boots didn’t work for us, and when we tried to make them work, the company reached out to me when tagged in photos saying the boots didn’t fit correctly, and that I needed to trim my horse’s hoof to fit the boot. They also claimed she had laminitis and heavily implied that my farrier was trash. The whole ordeal left a very sour taste in my mouth, so I sold the boots all the spare parts they needed replaced often, and washed my hands of them.

2 Likes

saves link for weekend road trip

Thanks! This’ll be interesting!

2 Likes

Alicia Harlov’s podcast series called the Humble Hoof is outstanding. She has vets, trimmers, farriers, rehabbers on and every single episode has been a worthy listen.

2 Likes

Both Cavallo and Equine fusion are easy to put on and work well with pads.

1 Like

If you want ease of use and durability and protection, you can’t go wrong with Cavallo’s. They’re the first boot I ever bought 20+ years ago and while I set probably thousands of dollars on fire since then trying other boots, those Cavallos never let me down.

They’re clunky. That is the only complaint. But after having tried so many others… they’re my go-to if I ever need boots. I’ll always have a pair on hand.

Plus they’re Canadian and from what I can see, the cheapest on the market and widely available.

2 Likes