Unlimited access >

Horse age

Oh, I would. My horse just turned 23. Have had him since he was 8, and he’s still trucking along doing low-level flatwork. Could be doing some low jumps if I was still interested in that. No one at the barn can believe he’s that old unless they can see all the grey hair on his face. He raced thirty-five times.

5 Likes

My main riding horse is 24. We do dressage now.

3 Likes

My main man is 20 this year and while he certainly needs some maintenance, he’s still happy to work and still loves the occasional jump school I allow him :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My current horse was supposed to be a short term lease when I was between horses. Lease started when he was 16, I bought him when he was 18, he just turned 25. He and I were jumpers when I started riding him, decided I wanted to try eventing when he was 23. This will be our 3rd year eventing and he still feels fine for beginner novice. We also show 1st level dressage and do a few hunter derbies at 2’6"-3’. I felt weird buying him at 18 but I’m so glad I did, I’ve had 9 great years on him.

7 Likes

The best horses I’ve had came to me over the age of 12.

1. Leased an adult ammy hunter for two years. He was 18 when he came to me. When I was done, he stayed and was leased to a children’s hunter rider; at 21 he was bought by a woman who just liked to play around (WTC, a little hack, a little cross rail).
  2. In dressage horse shopping, I went to try a 15 yr old - he was trained to PSG but I wasn’t. Attracted by his name and the fact that the ad said “trail rides alone on the buckle”… He was sound and took me from training level to PSG. I backed him down after he came 21, and he spent the next couple years teaching a lower level rider before I retired him due to cervical arthritis at 24 or so.
  3. Bought a 13 yr old 9 years ago. PSG trained, this horse is now 22 sound and solid as a rock. He hasn’t been shown since early Covid - we did well at I-1 but the 1 time changes needed for I-2/GP were not going to happen. He still schools all the upper level stuff, but we also have fun days in the farm field and woods, taught him to jump over little logs, etc. We are a few years from our Century

My theory based on pure anecdotal evidence is if they are sound at 12-13 and in the work you want, they will be sound ex accidents for a while. Yes I’ve had to do hocks a few times, but that’s to be expected. I’m not so young myself so done with younger horses and if there is another one after my 22 yr old, it will be older as well.

6 Likes

So smart. I wish you could talk sense into all these amateurs who want a 6-8 years old horse, and end up overmounted.

4 Likes

Yes!!!

1 Like

My beastie is 15, and I’ve had him since he was 4. I did Adequan for the first time this winter, and I do feed my own grain and supplements (Gro n Win, vit E, Mad Barn AT+). So far so good.

We’re starting to give 2nd level dressage a go, and we did a regional circuit last year where we finished champ in Hack division, and reserve champ in 2’3" jumpers. We just putter.

I actually feel like he’s really in the prime of his life. Broke, and educated… Probably well-educated! His body is still improving, muscling out more and more, in better ways. I think we still have room to grow and improve, even with my adult ammy skills (or lack thereof).

2 Likes

I think it depends on how they are used.

I have a 22-year-old who is as happy as can be in the summer of 2023 I did a 2’9" eventing, and she loved it, this year, I am hoping to do the same but am ready to stop if she is not up to it.

22yr

I also have a 45, and he was doing walk-trot with kids up to last year, and he didn’t have problems with arthritis till this spring.

5 Likes