Unlimited access >

Horse is horrid & I have a blast, in clinic with a Very Big Name - photo link added

I rode with a BNT on mt TB once and we spent the ENTIRE warm-up with his head between his knees. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be here to type this.

When I apologised to BNT, he laughed and said, “Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I would hvae done the same thing if I was on him.” “Oh!” I said “Would you LIKE to get on?” “Um, no thanks. You’re doing JUST fine!” :lol:

Good on you for getting stubborn instead of scared. Just what a horse like that needs.

NJR

Now you have a new show name for her - “Ferocious Felony” :slight_smile:

Very cool to hear about your clinic experience. I’m looking forward to doing that with my boy in the coming years.

[QUOTE=buck22;4166621]
good for you and having fun! You know, I need a clinic like that, I’m a little envious actually. I’d never have the gumption to go to a BNT with high level riders and go whizzing around on my savage intro/training beast, I’d probably take myself too seriously and get all worked up. Good for you having a sense of humor, it paid dividends it sounds! And thanks for sharing the tip on the corners. I have a “trot morgan” that likes to spook and then blow through my aids in the corners too, this will be neat to try.[/QUOTE]

I’d gone in with this whole long list of questions, requests for help with my position, etc… and all that flew out the window as soon as Maresy decided she was not going to behave. At that point, it became “ride the d*** horse!”

Morgans are huge fun in a small package. Linda Zang really likes them and recommends them to people who want smaller, “hotter” horses. I didn’t want quite this hot, but it’s what I have.

Hurrah for you and Ferocious Felonia!

You give the rest of us courage to take our hot little sirens out without the paperbag over our faces! I am working up the courage to follow in your footsteps with my little trak mare. I loved your writing of the story. Please keep us posted! I bet there are some great stories about her…

What a great story…made my day:yes: !

Speechless. Just speechless.

I am so proud of you.

I was thinking of “My pretty pony” rather than Barbie’s dream pony. Didn’t My Pretty Pony come with mane and tail brush?

Your horse is beautiful. What kind of horse is this “angel”? Great story, also.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kaluna;4167847]
I was thinking of “My pretty pony” rather than Barbie’s dream pony. Didn’t My Pretty Pony come with mane and tail brush?

Your horse is beautiful. What kind of horse is this “angel”? Great story, also.:)[/QUOTE]

Maybe you are thinking of My Little Pony toys? Oddly enough, to maintain her long mane and tail, I don’t ever use a brush; I finger-pick them.

She is beautiful and she knows it… it’s very easy to spoil her, I have to resist it. She has a regal, dominant, somewhat standoffish personality, especially now that she’s had 11 months in a real dressage barn to develop her diva-ness. (She lived her first 10 years out in a pasture 24/7 with other horses.) Except when there’s the possibility of getting fed, and then she turns into a goof.

She’s a Morgan. 15 hands and 900 pounds of the USA’s best kept secret breed. She was bred for “sport” rather than saddleseat/fancy stuff, though she has a Park Harness champion grand-dam and a fair amount of Saddlebred in her pedigree, and it certainly shows at times. I point folks to http://www.sportmorgan.com/ for more info; her breeders, Mythic Morgans, are listed there.

I bought her last March with the intention of eventing her, and we had a very rough start as she is much more horse than I bargained for. I had to quit jumping after a very bad fall off another horse, so we’ve switched to dressage. I don’t know how far we will go – I am clearly the limiting factor here – but we’re having fun with it in the meantime.

Lucky you. I used to ride at her barn… I wish I could ride with her now.

Oh. My.

Her entire personality, from your ride to her diva-ness to her food weakness, sounds just like my Lipizzaner, Fionna. Her Majesty, Queen Fionna, that is :wink:

Awesome job, quietann. I hope I can do as well as you did when the time comes for me to brave a clinic like that.

She is a beautiful girl, to.

Lovely braid job! I can never get a weave to look as nice as yours. Any tips?

Eileen

Nice job!
I rode with Linda on Saturday. She worked us HARD, too! I was dripping with sweat when our ride was over. We got SO much out of it, though; I would love to ride with her again. :slight_smile:

I used to clinic with a BNT occassionally. She loved my horse, that sort of intimidated me. I felt pressured to develop the horse to the potential she saw in him. One early morning we met in the warmup of a very big show. My horse was being an absolute ass, leaping, lunging and scooting with twisting bucks to break things up a little. I was afraid he was going to toss me but I couldn’t quit in front of her. I ended up scratching my ride and working the horse for about an hour til he was soft and submissive. BNT came up to as I was getting off (voluntarily :lol: ) and said that was some of the better riding she had seen it a while. Knowing that I could pull that off, she was going put it to me a bit more in our next lesson and she did :eek:

Nobody ever wants to be in a situation like this but it is one of the absolute best things for your riding partnership, particularly with a “sensitive” horse. Working through the tough spots under pressure gives you so much confidence. That is absolutely crucial with a smart and sensitive ride. They need your confidence to develop their own.

Good for you!

Thanks for posting the the pics. I really enjoyed them :slight_smile:

Thanks for the story. :lol:

Now I don’t feel so bad about my schooling show, wherein my horse confused the event with a rodeo and thought of anything and everything bad that he could do and did it, in a large way – leaping, spinning, bolting (full-speed gallop clear across the diagonal), balking, bracing, gaping. He was worse than he’s been in eight years. At the end of the second test I heaved a big sigh and said, “Yee-ha!” Oddly, we got 8s on the free walk.

I loved your Story! You could be a writer :lol: I think we can all probably relate in one way or another but you put it into words so well.

Thanks for the share!!

Love your clinic account, quietann. Congratulations on your ride and what you learned. Your mare is gorgeous, and you look great on her.

You make me feel better about my recent decision to send in my entry for an upcoming show, TL-2 and TL-4 bravely marked. It’s just a schooling show, but the last time I attempted to show the red menace in dressage, he was a bug-eyed beast on fire.

But we made it all the way through the test, with me still in the saddle and the metal side down. And, like you, I know we made some real progress that day. As a friend at the show told me later, if you can get on him and ride him through that, you can do anything.

Here’s to our walls – may they keep on tumbling down. :yes:

[QUOTE=Roan;4167938]
Oh. My.

Her entire personality, from your ride to her diva-ness to her food weakness, sounds just like my Lipizzaner, Fionna. Her Majesty, Queen Fionna, that is :wink:

Awesome job, quietann. I hope I can do as well as you did when the time comes for me to brave a clinic like that.

She is a beautiful girl, to.

Lovely braid job! I can never get a weave to look as nice as yours. Any tips?

Eileen[/QUOTE]

As for the weave, I was a kid in the 1970s, so I did a lot of macrame :lol: But here’s what I do – dampen the mane just slightly. When you put in the first row of bands, work from poll to withers and pull each “ponytail” back towards the withers as you go. Set them about 1 1/2 inches apart and don’t worry if some are thicker than others. For the second row, work from withers to poll and maintain the slight cant back to the withers. The ponytail at each ends remains full and you add 1/2 the one next to it… Each row will have 2 fewer rubber bands. For the third row, poll to withers and same thing. You can go another row or two, and I’ve even seen people keep doing the rows until they are down to one ponytail! I’ve tried using QuickBraid on the mane, but it makes it difficult to get the rubber bands around the “ponytails.” A little bit sprayed on the mane when you’re done helps keep down the fuzzies, though. Feronia actually pulled out a big chunk of mane right in front of her withers, and the hair is only about 3 inches long, so the weave stops where it starts.

[QUOTE=quietann;4169319]

As for the weave, I was a kid in the 1970s, so I did a lot of macrame :lol: But here’s what I do – dampen the mane just slightly. When you put in the first row of bands, work from poll to withers and pull each “ponytail” back towards the withers as you go. Set them about 1 1/2 inches apart and don’t worry if some are thicker than others. For the second row, work from withers to poll and maintain the slight cant back to the withers. The ponytail at each ends remains full and you add 1/2 the one next to it… Each row will have 2 fewer rubber bands. For the third row, poll to withers and same thing. You can go another row or two, and I’ve even seen people keep doing the rows until they are down to one ponytail! I’ve tried using QuickBraid on the mane, but it makes it difficult to get the rubber bands around the “ponytails.” A little bit sprayed on the mane when you’re done helps keep down the fuzzies, though. Feronia actually pulled out a big chunk of mane right in front of her withers, and the hair is only about 3 inches long, so the weave stops where it starts.[/QUOTE]
Thank-you so much!

I tried macrame as well, but mine sucked. Big Time. I’m going to save this in my Tips folder :smiley:

Eileen

It’s a funny thing about riding with a good mentor. It will take all your fears and break them into pieces.

Good for you!

Good for you to just go for it!!. I am in my fiftys now (aaaggghhh!), and have to push myself past things that I wouldn’t have thought of when younger. Keep up the attitude!! And as the ad says…“Just Do It!!!”.
P.S. BEAUTIFUL mare!

I was forwarded this thread by a friend and was laughing the whole time! I own one of Feronia’s half brothers, Mythic Juma. He just turned seven, and we’re successfully competing at Second Level. He too, loves to find “monsters” in very familiar corners on occassion, but hang in there…the journey is well worth it! I remember Feronia well when she was still with her breeders, and she looks wonderful. You’re obviously doing a great job with her.
Krista