Unlimited access >

Horse lame day of PPE - any advice?

I think they hold the screen because testing is pretty expensive and I think you have to test for multiple things which makes it multiple expensive. Drawing blood and holding it is cheap. However I am not a vet so I will bow my head to their expertise.

I should have been more clear in my question. This is obviously a logical reason I understand. But if you ever need to check the blood because a horse is “different” or what have you, then what do you do when you find a boatload of bute was in his system for the vetting? How do you get made whole? Prob need a lawyer if the seller doesn’t just take the horse back. Alternatively you treat some lameness that for all you know isn’t curable which is why the horse was sold. This seems even more expensive than doing a drug screen. I think they are about $200 or $300 for the one that picks up all the things USEF looks for. I do them on all of my pre purchases.

I don’t mean for my tone to sound aggressive if that is how it reads. I really just find the logic of saving $300 baffling. And if that is the margin of error on your finances, buying a horse sure doesn’t seem logical either.

1 Like

Tests don’t detect anything and everything unless requested and paid for at the time blood is pulled. It is logical to save it then wait and see if anything wears off then test for those substances. Meaning if it goes lame you screen for painkillers, if it goes crazy, you look for long acting tranqs or anti anxiety drugs commonly used in humans or, worst case, human anti psychotics.

Horse in the barn I was in totally went off the rails about 10,12 weeks after purchase, extensive tests on the saved blood eventually turned up traces of Lithium. Seller denied knowledge, of course. No legal recourse, too much time had passed and earlier results showed nothing…cause they were not looking for that initially. It was a go to treatment way back, not used much today.

That was a seller some idolize. Probably has a better reputation with those who admired from afar and never dealt with them personally.

1 Like

You put it in the sales contract.

1 Like

Sorry my original reply somehow quoted the wrong person I replied to. I’m replying to contracting comment.

I guess you can do that. But also May be out of pocket when you have to enforce the contract. Because someone drugging a horse will be easy to enforce a contract with right?
Contracts are great but also get broken all the time. It’s still easier to never wire the money than to have to get it back.

But I’m hoping for everyone contract enforcement is never a problem.

Many people don’t have money to just spend at will and some of us try and be as frugal as possible?( especially with todays economic issues) .

Has no bearing on if we should own a horse or not. It is just money better spent elsewhere if the blood test is not needed after all.

2 Likes