Unlimited access >

Horse pulling front shoes

I’d be very hesitant to put clips on a horse that has pulled shoes this often. You’re more likely to have a lot of the hoof wall come off with the shoes, particularly if the wall is already somewhat weakened because of multiple nail holes.

As others have suggested, pulling shoes this frequently is often a function of a bad trim and or bad shoe placement on the hooves or both. Posting pictures would help inform some of the opinions you’re getting.

Having the horse go barefoot would certainly fix the problem of the horse pulling his shoes off. But it wouldn’t fix a bad trim or bad hoof balance if that’s the underlying issue.

2 Likes

agree! since crunching my horse’s nutritional numbers, those nail holes are now tiiiggghhht even in the summer here in hot humid NC. At end of 5 week cycle, I don’t hear any clinking walking down the aisle.

1 Like

The Equusport don’t rotate? I’m intrigued. Could you say if you find them to fit large or small. I have a TB with stereotypical, dainty, TB feet.

They don’t rotate while riding. But I don’t think I would want to turn a horse out in them. My TB had relatively stereoptypical TB feet - size 2 shoe, so I guess fairly average. You could tighten or loosen the straps, but I don’t remember thinking they could go way down. If you search for leather quarter bell boots I think you can find them in smaller sizes (https://www.bigdweb.com/featherweight-lightweight-hinged-quarter-boot?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw8diwBhAbEiwA7i_sJYZxOXg-c8B7omrUxiKpqPDqX-_VCVv16wk0ZAM28dDAOtqN0ZSQ2xoC0LMQAvD_BwE)

1 Like

Thank you! I’m going to try these. I found a “pony” size used that seem worth a try. He’s ok in regular bell boots and overreach boots, but they’re constantly spinning while riding. Something that fits closer to the hoof like this might work well.

Just thought of this thread as I came out to ride only to discover my mare has pulled the same damn shoe that she pulled Saturday, was replaced on Monday, 2.5 weeks after they were first put on :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I guess we will probably go to glue-on. I’m so tired of everything.

My 4YO did that - shoes on, less than a week later he’d pulled the RF. Farrier came out and tacked RF on and clinched LF. Horse pulled LF 2 days later. This is after pulling both fronts when he originally arrived (they were very overdue…), and another shoe near the end of a cycle.

Long story short, he’s barefoot now with boots and doing well :laughing:. I HATE dealing with pulled shoes!!

1 Like

Yes it IS a reiner, hind sliders are necessary but hé throws front shoes

1 Like

Well, actually hé has very good hooves, i really think it IS more a biomecanical issue

He either doesn’t have really good hooves or you have a farrier problem. Or could be both. And you did say rads showed some issues too. It’s impossible for anyone to really help you if you don’t post photos of the hooves and wont answer what his diet is.

7 Likes

Same. She was barefoot for a long time, wish that still worked for her because this is maddening. I’m pretty sure my farrier hates me and my problem children.