Unlimited access >

Horse selling etiquette - thoughts?

As a seller, honestly who cares if locals have “first dibs?” It’s not the seller’s problem where the buyer lives. A 90 minute drive is not really that long in the big picture. I know several people who have daily commutes longer than that.

You can give yourself a gold star for not showing a horse with out of towners coming, but yes it is naïve to expect it of every one else.

Proximity does not equal dibs, but the ability to see the horse in a timely fashion is. I bought my horse from 5+ hours away, but only made the appointment a day or two before my trip.

A 1.5 hour drive does not constitute travel arrangements, it’s an afternoon (or morning, or day) trip. It’s not like you needed flights and hotel.

It is assumed that the horse will be shown to any and all potential buyers, that doesn’t need to be disclosed.

How do you know the person who bought the horse spoke to the seller after you? Maybe they already had an appointment set?

In the case where you were selling the horse, you were being extremely courteous, but if someone is flying in there are actual arrangements being made and a bigger investment to see the horse (potentially serious buyer) compared to a 1.5 hour drive.

If a buyer is flying in, then I will take a deposit to hold the horse IF 1)the arrival date is in the near future, 2)it will be non-refundable if the buyer no shows or cancels for any reason, and 3) with the understanding that I can accept back-up offers. I have had people fly in and not buy the horse.

A 90 minute car ride does not constitute long distance travel. There was no reason not to go sooner and video.

[QUOTE=rjanyk;8036671]
I suppose that is my own naivety in thinking courtesy of transparency is a give in. … But I also think if you would like to remain fair and reputable, it is in your best interest to disclose to ALL buyers that the horse will be shown regardless of appointments.[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree. Neither “courtesy” nor “transparency” were lacking in this case. Because it is the well-known standard practice that a horse (or other item) for sale will be marketed continually, the seller has no obligation to inform a potential buyer of this fact; the seller is operating under the assumption that s/he is dealing with an educated/informed buyer who knows the standard practices. This is true everywhere, whether you are buying a horse, a car, a dress, a piece of furniture, whatever.

And it is standard practice that it is the buyer’s responsibility to request a different practice from the “continually marketed” model, and to back up that request with a good-faith deposit, with a contract clearly stating under what circumstances the deposit will or will not be refunded.

As already mentioned, a common exception is when the distance is so great that air travel or a drive sufficient to require an overnight stay is involved. In such a case, it is common for a discussion to be initiated about a deposit to hold the horse until the long-distance visit can be arranged. Also as already noted, your 90-minute drive didn’t qualify. In many areas, that is the daily commute to work for a lot of people!

I don’t think you are naive, per se, but merely ignorant of what is normal practice. Now you know and can act accordingly the next time you are not able to go try a horse immediately. Good luck finding a great horse that suits you perfectly.

I was all ready to type a long-winded response to the OP’s last post, but now all I need to say is, “Yeah. What coloredhorse said.”

[QUOTE=coloredhorse;8036863]

I don’t think you are naive, per se, but merely ignorant of what is normal practice. Now you know and can act accordingly the next time you are not able to go try a horse immediately. Good luck finding a great horse that suits you perfectly.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If OP had an apt with a car dealership to see a used vehicle, or called about a couch on Craig’s List and couldn’t come see it for a week, I don’t think the assumption would be that no other potential clients would be entertained/ the property would be temporarily off the market pending the appt.

This is just ignorance of the standard practice in horse selling. The standard is to keep showing the horse unless there is a deposit (provided seller even agrees to one), so not stating that explicitly is not a failing of transparency or courtesy. The seller probably assumed OP knew how things were done. Now OP knows :slight_smile:

What you were given was the ability to go see a horse. That you couldn’t do it sooner than 6 days away is not the seller’s issue to work around.

But I also think if you would like to remain fair and reputable,

This has nothing to do with being fair and reputable. It has to do with selling horses, which means you continue to show a horse until you have a deposit or check in hand. It’s the only way to actually get a horse sold.

it is in your best interest to disclose to ALL buyers that the horse will be shown regardless of appointments. If a person is in a different city that requires travel arrangements, wouldn’t it be decent to let the person know that if they wanted to be sure the horse was still available, they would need to put down a deposit? I see the first come first serve mentality, but then you are always going to have people who live in close proximity have first dibs. That person who is very interested and set up an apt with the seller would be at a disadvantage because of their location, even though they spoke to the seller first.

If someone is really interested and really wants the horse, they will figure out how to get there ASAP. You are not a victim here. You just didn’t value the horse enough to make it a priority. 1.5 hours is a drop in the travel bucket. I’ve bought two horses from 5 hours away. 10 hours in a car one day is a LONG trip…but in both cases, I wanted the horses.

[QUOTE=NoSuchPerson;8036887]
I was all ready to type a long-winded response to the OP’s last post, but now all I need to say is, “Yeah. What coloredhorse said.”[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

Scheduling an appointment so far out is a message “if the horse is still available then, I’m interested”. That’s all it is.

Going forward, OP, make a note to ALWAYS CALL AND CONFIRM just before you head out the door to try a horse. It may have been sold since you last talked to the seller - even if it was the day before.

That’s the standard you should expect. You may not agree with it, but it’s the way things are. :slight_smile:

A friend was horse shopping. I went as a second set of eyes. Horse was 5 hours away. Friend alerted seller when we left, and called again when we were about 1/2 hour out. Seller told friend another buyer had given them a credit card deposit over the phone (had not seen the horse yet) a few minutes ago so the horse would not be available for sale, but my friend was welcome to see him and put a back up non-refundable deposit. We did stop and see the horse (we were almost there) but my friend did not want to hand over a deposit under these circumstances. So we left after driving 5 hours. You are fortunate that the seller let you know before you drove the distance.

If you called a car dealership in the next town over on Monday about a car they had available and made an appointment to come see the car on Saturday, would you expect them to hold the car until Saturday or call you if another caller walked in the door? No. If they did call you to tell you someone else is looking at the car, would you believe them or think they were using high pressure tactics?

Ultimately, the seller wants to sell their horse. They’re not going to put other buyers off unless they have some sort of cash in hand. And unless you ask them to “call me if you get another interested buyer,” they aren’t expected to let you know if someone else comes to look, not the least of which is because you might not believe them and think they are trying to press you into a sale, get turned off and walk away.

Actually, I think you should appreciate that at least the seller called you at least 24 hours before your appointment so you didn’t just drive up there for no reason. Some sellers don’t even do that. :frowning:

If it’s a nice one at a good price, move quickly. I too agree that the seller had no obligation to hold the horse for you.

The problem with notifying buyers about other buyers is that one man’s “courtesy” is another man’s “high pressure sales tactic”. I’ve more than once tried to say to someone who liked a horse but didn’t want to leave a deposit, “hey, I’ve got three more folks scheduled to see him this week” only to get a stink eye and a snarky “SURE there are.” I had one person flat out call me liar.

So now I sure a heck don’t volunteer that info, though if you ask I will tell you.

[QUOTE=rjanyk;8036020]

As the buyer with an appointment, wouldn’t you assume the seller would notify you if other buyers were interested, in case you wanted to view it earlier than your scheduled appointment? I would have assumed the seller was not showing the horse to other buyers until you had your appointment if it was not mentioned to the buyer that others will be viewing it before then.

I know money speaks, but the buyer with the appointment could have easily placed a deposit as well, and isn’t it common courtesy to let the buyer know other buyers will have an opportunity to purchase the horse if they don’t move faster? As well, if a deposit was required to ‘hold’ the horse, shouldn’t the buyer have had the right to come view the horse within the first couple of days when the previous buyer was still trying to decide if they wanted it, considering they did not put a deposit down?[/QUOTE]

If the buyer wanted the horse held for them for a week, the buyer would have said, “I would like to offer a non refundable deposit for you to hold this horse for a week.”

Opportunity cost isn’t free.

People always want to get in the car after the fact.

OP, I think you have been given lots of great advice here.

[QUOTE=rjanyk;8036671]
But I also think if you would like to remain fair and reputable, it is in your best interest to disclose to ALL buyers that the horse will be shown regardless of appointments.[/QUOTE]
I am confused what is unfair and not reputable about doing business like every other business that sells things.
If you do not pay to put something on lay-away at Walmart they do not save it for you even if you call and say you are coming to buy it.
Heck, even buying a house includes a good faith deposit.

I know far more people who would consider a seller saying ‘there are others looking you better put a deposit if you are interested’ to be a pushy sales gimmick and not a FYI.

If the seller wanted to have the horse gone so quickly, wouldn’t they have offered the buyer an opportunity to see the horse during the first two days when the original buyer had gone to look at the horse, but was still ‘making up their mind’, and had not placed a deposit?

Would it not be more beneficial to the seller to allow others to view the horse, even say they are interested, then still honoour the appointment scheduled, and then if two parties are interested, it would go to the highest offer?

[QUOTE=rjanyk;8037590]
If the seller wanted to have the horse gone so quickly, wouldn’t they have offered the buyer an opportunity to see the horse during the first two days when the original buyer had gone to look at the horse, but was still ‘making up their mind’, and had not placed a deposit?[/QUOTE]

Did the seller really say “please don’t come because I have a deposit”? Did the buyer even ask to see the horse anyway?

Guess you have have never heard “A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.”

Sellers have “potential buyers” no show or cancel at the last minute ALL.THE.TIME. Unless you have made arrangements with the seller because you are flying in and have purchased non-refundable plane tickets OR you have put a deposit on the horse, you have no special rights to a horse that you have not even seen.

Horses for sale are “first come, first serve” unless you have a different agreement with the seller. Accepting this fact will make your horse search much less frustrating for you (and for sellers that are dealing with you.)

I once drove an hour and a half after confirming the appointment the evening before. Arrived and the seller said “which horse are you here to see?” Then said “oh, that horse was sold earlier this week.” Gee, thanks for letting me know!

[QUOTE=RugBug;8036990]
you might think it’s courteous, but I think it’s a tactic and it puts me off. I immediately go on the defensive when a seller tells me that other people are interested, blah, blah, blah. Sell it to them, then. I WILL NOT be pressured. There are a bazillion other horses out there. If I want the horse that bad, I will ASK about putting a hold deposit down. I can’t tell you how many horses had other people interested only to have it still on the market 6 months down the road.

What you were given was the ability to go see a horse. That you couldn’t do it sooner than 6 days away is not the seller’s issue to work around.

This has nothing to do with being fair and reputable. It has to do with selling horses, which means you continue to show a horse until you have a deposit or check in hand. It’s the only way to actually get a horse sold.

If someone is really interested and really wants the horse, they will figure out how to get there ASAP. You are not a victim here. You just didn’t value the horse enough to make it a priority. 1.5 hours is a drop in the travel bucket. I’ve bought two horses from 5 hours away. 10 hours in a car one day is a LONG trip…but in both cases, I wanted the horses.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^ THIS TOO^^^^^^^^

[QUOTE=RugBug;8036990]
If someone is really interested and really wants the horse, they will figure out how to get there ASAP. You are not a victim here. You just didn’t value the horse enough to make it a priority. 1.5 hours is a drop in the travel bucket. I’ve bought two horses from 5 hours away. 10 hours in a car one day is a LONG trip…but in both cases, I wanted the horses.[/QUOTE]

Yup. When I bought my current horse, my trainer was in the city for a show. She looked at him Thursday, told me to come see him, and I drove up Friday after work. 7 hours, one way. I tried him Saturday and Sunday, then drove home Sunday night. He came home Monday.

[QUOTE=rjanyk;8037590]
If the seller wanted to have the horse gone so quickly, wouldn’t they have offered the buyer an opportunity to see the horse during the first two days when the original buyer had gone to look at the horse, but was still ‘making up their mind’, and had not placed a deposit?

Would it not be more beneficial to the seller to allow others to view the horse, even say they are interested, then still honoour the appointment scheduled, and then if two parties are interested, it would go to the highest offer?[/QUOTE]

You really just need to give up and accept that the seller in your case did nothing wrong.

Whether or not the seller indicated that others were looking at the horse might be questioned by the minority, but if the buyer never asked, then the buyer never asked.

For a horse offered publically for sale, why would you assume you were the only one interested?

There was nothing rude, shady, abnormal, questionable about what the seller did. There are no straws to grasp here.

Of the 35+ responses, after 1100 views, the very unified consensus is that the seller in your case followed standard practice for selling a horse. Very rarely on COTH do you see such agreement on any issue.