Unlimited access >

Horse Shopping in Europe on a Budget?

[QUOTE=Purple Danny;8713498]
Hi there, if you are coming to Europe, then I would recommend getting in touch with Mark Bosanko http://www.bosankosportshorses.com/ He is located in England, but definitely worth a visit.
He deals mostly with Dutch horses and has a lot of contacts there; he has shipments coming in every few weeks. Mostly young 3-4 year olds. He either sells them unbroken or they are put into work for a few weeks and then sold. You will definitely get a nice one for your sort of budget.
I bought a four-year old from him earlier this year and am absolutely thrilled with the horse. Fantastic athlete with the most amazing temperment.
The operation itself is very professional, but isn’t the sort of yard where you will arrive to find everything braided and wrapped in immaculate white polos, waiting on cross ties for a large American wallet![/QUOTE]

Haha how funny, I know these guys!

dressage rider chiming in but ive only heard good things about harrington horses in the UK :wink:

The shipping costs have skyrocketed over the last few years and I feel there are a lot more American bred warmbloods on the market today than say 10 years ago. It may still be the case that we have a wider selection over here simply because there are bigger numbers of horses and riders in a comparatively small area. However the equestrian industry has suffered such tremdous blows here in Europe over the last couple of years that whatever advantage was there has shrunk to nil which is why a huge number of breeders have thrown the towel over the last 4-5 years. Breedings have come down by about one third, we’ve had a significant change in demographic structures (e.g. the traditional farm-based breeding business that usually held 2-4 mares is almost extinct and has made room for a new and very different type of breeder who approaches breeding from a completely different angle.

You can still find what you are looking for but you must be aware that sales structures have changed a great deal too and sales are controlled by a smaller and smaller number of highly professionalized people who hold the infrastructure, personel and financial means to address the ‘interesting’ segments of the market while the average rider (and buyer) finds themselves to more and more fall out of that category and be stuck with the byproduct, the failures and the damaged goods that will not fit into the more lucrative segments these people aim at.
This is not to say there aren’t any good sources where a good horse can be found for little money but there are few and far between.
The equestrian scene here in Europe is having massive problems on a variety of levels. Our western neighbors appear to handle them a lot better than we here in Germany but they are facing basically the same problems. Less and less good riding and more and more unethical practices going on to compensate for it.
Since the rule of supply and demand never seizes to function you will also find that for the well-minded, well-trained, forgiving horse with a good vet check (note a good vet check does not always equal soundness…) you are competing with a lot of buyers from within Europe who are searching for exactly the same thing. OP you’re already shopping outside the box by declaring yourself willing to go with something that is just started and does not have a show record to back it up. I therefor think you have the best of chances. Good luck and if you happen to come to the Hanover/Vechta/Münster region please don’t hesitate to get in touch and pay us a visit :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=PonyPenny;8706384]
This barn is in Great Britain so prices are in GBP, but there are some deals at the current exchange rate. Looks like the closest airport is London-Gatwick. http://harringtonhorses.co.uk[/QUOTE]

This ^^^^

You may want to consider a quick trip to the UK now, I bet you would get a deal for awhile in the exchange rate.

In northern France, not too far from Paris, but I know many breeders and sales barns that absolutely have what you are looking for under 12k. I have to agree that many who do have those hunter types americans look for have wised up and raised their prices - but with a 12k budget it is completely doable, especially if you want a nice 3yo prospect - and I have seen some very nice Selle Francais hunter-types. PM me for info if you’d like.