Unlimited access >

Horse Shopping--What Questions Do You Ask?

Imagine if the COTH hive mind could catalog all these great questions into a single reference document. Sheesh, that kinda intelligence is worth $$!!

3 Likes

Connecting to another concurrent thread, make sure you are in contact with the actual owner and they know how much trainer is selling for.

6 Likes

Take some time to think about what you are looking for, what you can handle and what are your deal-breakers.

For instance, when I was looking a couple of years ago, I knew I wanted a reasonably proficient and generally kind schoolmaster dressage horse of moderate size.

I could handle some maintenance as I have a vet who is a whizz at that stuff. I wasn’t particularly bothered about what breed it was. I could deal with a diamond in the rough type that needed some TLC and time.

My personal “won’t even consider it” deal breakers were pretty straightforward… Must have a clean flying change (had spent the previous three years trying to install one and was over it,) and probably most important of all, must load easily onto a trailer. (We live in wildfire country and the nightmare of trying to load a recalcitrant horse in the face of encroaching flames is not something I want to repeat. And I suck at teaching loading.) I also dislike buckers and bolters and will ask the direct question as to whether the horse has a propensity for these habits. (The “so, does he have a go-to resistance?” question.)

Normally I find that if you ask a few leading questions, respond positively to the answers and then shut up, the person on the other end of the phone will fall all over themselves to spill all sorts of information to fill the void.

5 Likes

Regarding clipping. Once you’re there, ask to see it done. Without drugs. Yup, ask me how I know.
I think I might ask to see the horse load too.
Ask if the horse cribs. Knowing what I now know about NPA, going forward I will take farrier films on ALL FOUR feet, not just fronts.

Given that you are traveling to see this horse, if you share your discipline it might help with sport-specific questions.

1 Like

Thank you all for your suggestions!

A question that I have learned the hard way is, “What exactly has the horse been doing the past few months?”

Of course, this is for those who don’t want a project and are looking for a known commodity. The idea being that if the horse was doing something in the past, but it’s been years or months, the horse may not any longer be up for what you want. Get the horse that is currently doing what you will want it to do. :slight_smile:

Another question that can be helpful is, “How does this horse compare to other horses you have here in the barn, in terms of ground manners or turn out needs, or in warm-up, or when off property, or with a new rider, etc.”

2 Likes

The wildfire thing is EXACTLY why I recommend asking about trailering! You don’t want to have the horse for two weeks, end up in an emergency colic or act-of-god evacuation scenario, and suddenly realize you have a horse that will. not. load. If you know about it, at least you can be prepared and start working on the issue.

1 Like

All of the above questions, plus a few more.

-What type of tack is Dobbin usually ridden in?
-Does he tie at hitch post, wash rack, crossties, trailer, tree branch? Does he ground tie?
-Is he typically buddy sour or aggressive during pasture changes/trail rides/etc?
-Does he load easily or does he require cajoling/meds/a buddy?
_Does he like to pull any shenanigans typically under saddle?

And maybe an odd one, but since I’ve had a couple of horses who would regularly do this I always ask. Does he ever untie himself or let himself (or others lol) out of the stall?

4 Likes

I will just add…try to read between the lines with the answers you get. Sometimes when you ask the questions, people don’t actually tell you the truth. I was looking at a horse…with my vet (also a good friend) present…my vet asked if they horse was on any drugs/had to be drugged for anything in the past/supplements. We were given this oh, no, absolutely not…and she didn’t even need drugs for dental (routine). She shipped home (was a overseas purchase) with a bottle of vet prescribed sedative that had been opened and administered with her routine dosage on. UGH. We point blank asked…were told no way. The mare showed up with her personal bottle of drugs. And yes, she turned out to be a total fruitloop and dangerous to ride.

My only clue in hindsight…they said she was behind in her training because they had had trouble getting riders for the young horses (this was a big yard). And once I decided to go with her…they made the comment that “she was very special and needed the right person.”

After that experience I just buy babies and put the money into good trainers until they are going! Different risk to assume, but I hate horse shopping ever since that mare (and I was doing “all the right things” and still got taken for).

3 Likes

I may have missed it but along the lines of management, I ask how is the horse in turnout? Can they go with anybody? Only out with one sex? Are they bossy with other horses? Are they usually the bottom of the totem pole?

I also insist on seeing them handled by whomever is their ‘usual’ person - being caught/presented, in the grooming/tacking area (for those age appropriate) and ridden (if applicable). This is typical for most shoppers, but I also want to see them turned out and interacting with other horses. With young ones too young to ride, their interaction with other horses tells me loads as well as how they’re caught and turned out focusing on their behavior throughout as well as the handler’s body language.

3 Likes

I tried to write something once to cover every question I would ideally ask but there are too many questions to ask to get to all of them!

Ultimately I figured out that what I really wanted the answers to was:

• What does this horse need day-to-day? (PPE, veterinary history and current ongoing needs, feed, shoeing, living situation…)
  • What is this horse like to have on the farm? (Gets along in group turnout, any extensive care routine, destructive vices…)
  • Is this horse fit for purpose? (Do I like the ride, sane enough, hack out alone or in groups, jump a course, lateral work, changes, solid capriole, really whatever I need or want.)

I came up with those three because any of the three can be a deal killer, and sometimes I could get so wrapped up in one that I forgot to ask really obvious questions about another. Put another way, it’s “If I buy, will the horse be happy? Will the BO be happy? Will I be happy?” I usually don’t know the answer to any of them for sure and sometimes maybe not at all, but even knowing what I don’t know helps with a clear decision.

5 Likes

These are both suggestions that I use:

I figure if I’m to the point of seriously considering the horse, and involving my trainer, then I’ve already learned all the basics about the horse. So I ask questions in a certain manner:

“When you take him to a show, how long do you have to longe him before you hop on?”
“Does he appreciate an occasional Spa Day, or is he the type that really doesn’t want to be messed with and loved on?”
“Hey, we know that they all spook at something. What’s his boogeyman?”

4 Likes

“What does he do when he spooks?”. Cuz we all know that every horse is going to spook occasionally, but I find if you ask if the horse spooks the answer is always “no”. This way I feel like people feelbfree to give an actual answer, instead of a flat denial.

I also feel like how a horse spooks gives me some information about how reactive they are. My current horse literally just flinches in place. Awesome. If a horse jumps sideways I am still not going to pull the plug, but doing a 180 either with or without a bolt is not the answer I am looking for.

4 Likes

Also have the owner give the horse something via syringe by mouth. My daughters mare was perfect in every way until I tried to deworm her.

Thankfully she is small, good minded and we eventually got past it. Had to snub her up tight to a solid post for several years though…

1 Like

This and I will ask what their typical current work schedule is. How many days a week are they being ridden currently. Especially in winter, if the video is not recent you may find the horse is on a lighter workload and perhaps not as fit as you might expect.

I also like to ask what type of rider does the horse prefer. It can sometimes start a conversation that will give some good insight.

2 Likes

I like to ask the seller to tell me about the horse and then let them talk. Have learned a few things I would not have thought of asking and gives you an idea as to what they bring up or not. Also, I ask what tyoe if exercises or items (collection, self carriage. lightness of aids. etc) the horse finds easy to to ot likes to do, and what things are more of a challenge or difficult for him.

1 Like

Ask whether its blankies are part of the deal! Big savings if so.

3 Likes

This. I talked to the trainer selling the horse the other day and she answered most questions I had, and called to tell me more she forgot the next day, just because I said “can you just tell me a bit about the horse” ?

Thank you all for your great questions! I love keeping it open to things like **how ** does he spook vs. does he spook

3 Likes

Before you go to see the horse, ask if anyone has vetted the horse and passed on buying it. They might actually tell you why. Ask to see any available X-rays (of the sellers). Ask what you’re going to find in a PPE. Ask if the horse has shivers, cribs, has ever bitten or kicked anyone (no one is going to put those in an ad, but they usually won’t point blank lie to you). Insist on seeing the last 12 months of vet records. If they won’t show you, walk. Ask questions like “Has he ever been lame”, rather than the more vague “Does he have any lameness problems?” Whenever you are around the horse, pay close attention. If he breaks away from the handler during flexions, assume that he will do that with you, too. NEVER HESITATE TO BACK OUT IF YOUR GUT TELLS YOU TO. Don’t fall in love with the horse until the money changes hands. Good luck!

2 Likes