Unlimited access >

Horse show ideas

WRT to “fun classes”, have you considered games- egg and spoon race, ride-a-buck, relay class, etc. that do not require a lot of extra equipment. Also costume class, half century class (combined age of horse and rider over 50), family class, pair class, hunt teams.

1 Like

One fun class that I always loved was the pair Jumper class (that has an official name that I cannot remember currently) where you have two horse and rider pairs and a set jumper course and the pair has to jump the course in order but rider 1 may do jumps 1-4 and rider 2 does 5-7 and rider 1 finishes the course (or however the team decides) and it’s scored as a speed round. The show that used to do it did this class at 2’6-2’9 I think. I always love a good gamblers choice too. I wish that it was offered at a bigger height in my area (only ever 2’6).

Agree the mini derbies are a big draw. I don’t participate (jumpers only for me) but have seen them run for HOURS at our local shows.

For prizes, I hate getting things such as buckets, hoof picks, brushes - all cheap stuff that is usually some ridiculous color (everything in my barn is black or navy no hot pink buckets please) that I have no use for. I like the gift certificate to the local tack shop (but if you anticipate people traveling in to your show that may not go over as well) or the show photographer (if you have one, and you should!). I like having options on the prizes, maybe an assortment of halter/ scrim/ hats/ drink ware/ etc so the winner can choose. At the end of the year, if you have left over prizes you can either use them next year or put them in your local GMO silent auction (assuming they have one).

3 Likes

Agree. Some of my favorite local shows of yesteryear awarded things like a $10 entry credit for each blue ribbon, or a $25 division credit for champion/reserve. This was MUCH appreciated as an exhibitor and made me super loyal to their shows!

5 Likes

$2 bills would more effective as when those are spent the receiver is going ask just where did you get that

1 Like

The gift certificate to the show photographer is a great idea. People posting their photos helps to promote your show, so it doubles as branding, in a way.

I wonder if your photographer would be open to negotiating for discounted gift certificates in exchange for the photographer’s name being mentioned during prize giving.

1 Like

And to follow up on my own post, make sure that any gift certificates are either for the item itself (so one photo, or a full set of photos), or cover at least the full purchase price of one item.

It’s really annoying to receive a gift certificate that you can only use by spending more money in order to top it up to the purchase price. It’s not a nice prize if it requires you to spend extra money to actually get anything out of it.

7 Likes

It’s great if you can trade the blue ribbon or tricolor and have a small selection of prizes they can collect. That’s what they do at desert circuit and I think blenheim also gives you the option to donate money to charity with your winning “chip” that you put in a clear container.

DIHP has the usual cups and hats, but they also had nice lap blankets, horse cookies, t-shirts, boot socks, picnic blankets plus the usual halters and coolers and scrims. All in normal colors.

The idea of being able to apply money back to lower your bill is BRILLIANT. I would choose that all day.

2 Likes

I kind of fun idea: a breed show I went to would give the class winners raffle tickets, with the number of tickets you won being higher the better you placed. they then had a line up of donated items and you could pick which ones you put your tickets into. I “won” a halter in the draw. They still has championship awards - this was extra.

I also won a belt buckle in dressage. I love it. It is sparkly. Has the show name and the year. I have never worn it, but I still love it!

2 Likes

For awards, consider those small sport trophies that have a horse on top of the loving cup, and a wooden base with the name of the show on a name plate . They were a big hit with the kids at the county h/j shows I worked at for many years. For the adults, have something else, but don’t be surprised if they want a “real” trophy too. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m kinda envious ! That’s a nice award for a dressage show.

1 Like

A show I used to frequent offered a pro/am derby. The amateur had to pilot the horse around a course, then dismount. The professional then mounted (from a mounting block in the ring) and completed a handy round. That was very fun.

ETA: each round was scored, and the sum of the pro/am rounds scores determined each team’s final score.

4 Likes

Oh, that must have been SO much fun and instructive to watch and/or participate in.

How about this but make the pro go on foot over tiny jumps :rofl::smiling_imp:

1 Like

A Gamblers Choice class is always a big hit. So fun to watch. I like prizes that are things I can actually use. Like saddle pads with the show name, a nice dressage whip, a backpack with ring side items: rub rag, nice brush, hoof dressing, etc.

Agree, however some of the issues you mention are for “touch” classes which aren’t offered that much any more. the one class that seems to throw everyone is Power and Speed. New to jumpers exhibitors don’t know they have to leave if they have a rail in the power part, and some judges may not know either…

To add about judges - it’s important for judges to recognize if a course is set up properly or not.

Nope, all the issues I mentioned are ones I have seen in in “Table II” (knockdowns, refusals and time) classes.

“Table I” (touch) classes aren’t even in the rule book any more.

the post I responded to mentioned knocking a rail but didn’t fall and some other things. I wasn’t necessarily referring to USEF shows but some local shows that might dredge up a touch class.

No I didn’t.
I said

referring to the situation where one end of the rail is NO LONGER IN THE CUP, but is still supported in the other cup, so it doesn’t hit the ground.

If it is just a “touch”, by definition, the rail is NOT “dislodged”.

Janet - I’m sorry multi-tasking.