Unlimited access >

Horse suddenly has gas - otherwise ok. Cause?

It’s the ButiPearl Z EQ which is the biggest hind gut support, and is part of the Equimix. It’s encapsulated zinc and butyric acid which both directly impact intestinal wall strength.

1 Like

He is also borderline obese, being ridden 3-4 days a week which is all his arthritic legs can handle. He’s 15hh and fine boned. I’m not going to feed him everything he wants and end up with founder. He will gladly eat literally everything you put in front of him. I can feed him bute straight from my hands. He’s been a hoover his entire life, and has never been on more rations than he is now, even when he was my 4’ jumper. He has great teeth. He’s an easy keeper. That extra weight is not good for his joints, and I’d like to do what I can to keep it off.

I don’t mind a trial of “refeeding”, but him on free choice hay is not an option. He literally won’t sleep until it’s gone. He’s that kind of horse.

He will be tested for IR and probably do a test run of Cushings meds come spring. I’m starting to wonder if something else is going on with him that I can’t see, looking at some of his weird fat locations that I don’t remember seeing before (except that one time I traveled for 4 months and my friend was “taking care of him”…).

Also. 8 lbs 2x a day. that would be… 16 lbs.

My 10 year old gelding is an easy keeper hoover much like yours. He may be soy sensitive too. Ration balancers (tried 3 different ones over 4 years) made him really gassy. Large disparities in hay quality make him really gassy also (S. Florida - hay quality consistency a challenge). Really liked the HorseTech vitamin products with probiotics and no grain, but finally put him on Hygain Zero and 18 - 20 lbs Timothy hay. He does really well on GastroEase as a pre and probiotic, and now we just keep him on it year round.

1 Like

This is worth a read; https://animalmicrobiome.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s42523-019-0013-3

My younger horse is sensitive to flax and soy. Both upset his hind gut and cause extra gas. In addition to removing soy and almost all flax I’ve found that daily Omega Alpha’s Biotic 8 (has flax in it) helps keep his guts behaving.

I do keep a bottle of antigas on hand though. The last bottle reached its expiration date!

1 Like