Unlimited access >

Horse won’t load: draft edition

I had a similar issue with my usually very well behaved ottb mare. Several things came into play. She WILL NOT load into a trailer she thinks is too small for her; she WILL NOT LOAD with someone in the trailer (leading in), and she did not like the ramp.

I ran a lunge line (without chain so they can’t snap it) through escape door and did the tap tap with one hand on the rope, and other hand on the crop. Blocked the other side of rhe ramp with jump standards and a log. She was not allowed to go back, she was allowed to stand calmly in whatever transitional (2 feet in, one foot in, head in).

BEFORE this, I trained the ramp. Any time she put an effort to put a foot on, she got a piece of carrot. Anytime she stood with any foot on, more carrot. Alfalfa cubes in the trailer. She did not like the ramp compared to step up.

Then, once or twice a week, I made her get on and ride around the block, then once a month. People forget that sometimes you have to actively train the trailer (I definitely did), but putting the time in pays off in the long haul.

All in all, took about 3 hours. But now she walks on by herself.

8 Likes

I’ve had a few bad loaders. My old horse was awful (it took several of us a couple of hours to get him loaded on the way home from the vet hospital after a several day stay… getting him there when he was on dealth’s door wasn’t much better) but an afternoon with with a local trainer taught him to self load. He was never good in that he had a specific way he wanted to load and ride (he did NOT tie due to some bad experiences in his life) and the trainer felt that since he was always going to ride solo, we could cater to him (the second we let him ride loose and face backwards? all anxiety went away–it wasn’t worth the fight with this horse. He didn’t move a muscle vs facing forward where he was anxious and uncomfortable).

Current horse was fine when I got him. But, after a year and a half, my 32 year old stock trailer finally had enough and my axle broke on a local trip (all our trips are local with a max of 5 miles). We ended up with a new trailer, very similar to the old one, but the experience of the shakeyness of that old trailer ride left him very uncertain. I employed another trainer for a few sessions and we had him loading. It took time, first just to load, then to self load, but now he’s fine. He does think about not loading if he sees another horse not load (seriously, anytime we’re anywhere any someone has a horse that doesn’t load, he follows suit. Typically I just need to get out a stick to guide his hind end (I use it as an extension to my arm) and he’s back in. I’m sure he’d load if I led him in, but we self load now and I won’t lead him in. If I’m in the trailer, I don’t have control if he backs out.

Every trainer I’ve worked with has done all the same things that I have done. Mostly pressure and release at forward movement. But, unlike me, they get results. Why? They don’t have anything invested emotionally into the outcome. It’s a job. Me? I NEED results. Somehow this all plays out when I work with my own horses on loading. So, my suggestion might be to see if there is a pro in your area with experience with trailer loading. For me at least, I get frustrated loading. I get emotional. I can been as emotionaless as possible and my horses STILL pick up on this. They respond better to others taking control. Once I see the work being done and I KNOW they’ll get in several times? I can take over.

The other best piece of advice I received was always load to just to load. Don’t load because you want to go somewhere. It’s not a big deal. It’s just a thing you do. Sometimes you might load, have a treat, and unload. Somethings you might load and go somewhere. But if loading is about loading and isn’t always about a lesson or a ride or a show or a trip to the vet, loading shouldn’t be as big of a deal. If loading is always followed by an event, then it might always be a big deal. This really helped me out.

Finally, if you do haul your horse to the vet, your trailer is a safe space. Don’t let the vet convince you to keep your horse in the trailer for a quick vaccine or blood draw… Unload for that. That’s not making the trailer safe.

13 Likes

If you have the time now, or have the time later. This a hundred times. It sounds very much like he has figured out what most horses thankfully never consider: trailer equals change. In his view change (it sounds understandably) equals bad. He may be smart enough to have figured out that it is only when he gets On the trailer. The trailer itself may not bug him, as long as he doesn’t get On it! So if you can get him On the trailer, make a fuss over him, and unload him without going anywhere. Wash and repeat. Now, as to how to convince 1800 lbs of that quiet, obstinate ‘No’? Not sure! It is easier if they will move their feet.
Also, even if he fits in your trailer, if you can try a bigger, brighter one it may help. I’ve seen a lot of drafts squeezed in, it cannot be comfortable. My big boy came to me literally squeezed (he sort of bulged over the bars) in, he had been routinely trailered that way. He didn’t apparently mind it, but some do.
I would try the food in the trailer, personally.

1 Like

So he had food in the trailer twice now. He’s to the point he is standing on the ramp eating it inside.
I am out of commission for a few weeks but once that’s over I will be using all your suggestions! Thanks everyone

10 Likes

That’s AWESOME~!!! I bet when you come back he’ll have processed that and will be MUCH much more willing! Can’t wait to hear that you and he succeeded!

Thanks to this thread i trained trailer today with the mustang i’m starting to ride. He now knows how to walk straight up the ramp and that the side area doesn’t count. He doesn’t get to even try that way. He walks up the ramp, one stomp at a time. He got LOTS of carrot bites. for each step and lots when he made it at least both front feet inside. He got all the way in twice. Whenever he wanted to back up, i let him. No pressure. No pressure to lead in either. Just dispensed carrot bits when he did good things and nothing except go with him when he backed up, and tell him he was doing great and that he is such a big strong brave boy. Must have made 20 or so trips up and backing up down the ramp. I had a nice flake of alfalfa in there but he would not drop his head to eat it. He might tomorrrow. This horse is really a pretty solid guy. All he needs it to do something once and not hurt or die because of it and he’s like five times as willing to do the same thing tomorrow. Thrice and he’s a pro. I really do like his brain. His name is Steve.

8 Likes

Trainers also have the correct timing. If owners have the incorrect training they will train the opposite of what they want.

I use praise not food with my own. I do use food with horses I have not trained. If they are upset enough they won’t eat, so it is an indication when they finally take a treat in the float.

Preferably have the float in an area where if they back away they can’t go too far. The safe place is you and the float, only good things there. Don’t be in a hurry.

Ask for forward, halt, back and praise each time away from the float, then start doing it towards the float. Praise when they do good, Uh uh when they don’t. When they go back, step away and make them uncomfortable with the lead rope until the fence or they come forward, praise, bring them back to the float and make a fuss of them, what happened over there? Isn’t it nice here?

Towards the ramp. Praise. Halt. Praise. Back, Praise. 2 feet on praise. Halt, praise. Back, Praise. Four feet on praise. Back. Praise, halt praise.

This takes a shaking, anxious, sweating with fear horse, who won’t accept a treat, and you have never met before, to one that will stand in the trailer and calmly accept a treat.

This also shows those that had been trying that absolute patience and rewarding the horse works which up you can only hope is passed on.

When that does happen, back off again, even with others wanting to shut him in and ask again. The more times you back off the better. Not only are you getting the horse in the float for them. There is a bigger success rate for them to go in in the future.

Standing not moving is treated the same as backing. As I said you have to have the correct timing or you will teach them to do the opposite of what you want.

By this you have to be able to read what they are thinking. Reward when they think the right thing. Uh uh when they think the wrong thing. This is fundamental. If that is wrong it can’t be overcome.

And no I do not help unless I am asked.

2 Likes

I found this video extremely helpful. A great COTHer helped me with my draftX mare and viewing this video helped me stay mindful, unemotional and successful. It’s pretty long. Not because it took long to get the mare loading, but because of all the detailed explanation, which is SO important.

1 Like

Loading must be taught . Many people are just lucky their horses are compliant enough they just get on. when you have an animal who isn’t then you find that out. I have had several :slightly_smiling_face:

I suggest John Lyons trailer loading. It takes some commitment, but it works.

Can I just say, I read through this thread initially thinking 'Man, am I glad I have an easy loader!"

Well, Little Pony put me in my place today. She went from self-loading before the winter, to absolutely refusing to even get on the ramp for the trip back home. Sigh. Back to trailer training for us :roll_eyes: Proof that none of us are immune!

6 Likes

The same thing happened to me on Saturday. My small pony used to be a terrific loader and went everywhere. He got outgrown and then only occasionally went places and always with my other horse. On Saturday, he refused to get on by himself. I had to dig out my chain shank and got him on in about 10 minutes, but it showed me that it’s a skill I need to keep him current on if I don’t want to deal with that frustration again. He also refused to get in for the return trip, then of course the know it alls all rush over to “help” and probably made him even more nervous about it (but he got on after a short protest).

3 Likes

So, he’s happily going in and out of the trailer now, with and without food. So I guess feeding him in there worked?
I can’t hook up the trailer right now (can’t lift anything) but once I’m healed up I think we will have no problems getting him moved. I will be doing more ground work on making sure the answer is ‘yes m’am’ and not ‘eh, not sure I want to’.

17 Likes

I’ve been working on the trailer loading issue too (posted my own thread about my mare’s issues). Initially when she wouldn’t go near it, we just did lots of walking circles, getting closer and closer etc and simply putting one foot on the ramp was her reward and time for a break. She’s now happy to load, timing of pressure and release was everything. The slightest forward movement into the trailer meant release. Not happy to be shut in there yet…so that’s still very much a work in progress.

4 Likes

Two of mine came to me not wanting to load. The key to them self loading was:

1. Any sign of stress you retreat. Go graze. Go do anything to get them under threshhold. Then come back and approach again. Over and over til they see there will be no stress.
  2. Short sessions. 5 min max.
  3. They do anything I want -a step forward for example…get a carrot slice.
  4. They start taking more steps into the trailer = BIG payoff. A handful of carrot slices.

Those magic keys and 25+ sessions - we’ll approach the trailer multiple times a day… and I’ve got horses loading in the trailer on their own. Horses standing around the trailer like “where are the carrots?” The trailer has a BIG draw.

Gotta go in knowing it will take time and you have ALL the time in the world.

7 Likes

You might want to look at adding a light or two in that trailer. It’s quite dark inside and ime that makes fussy loaders a lot worse.

3 Likes

@StormyDay This really might help. I’d give it a try.

It actually has a ton of lights in there, I just don’t have any turned on since it wasn’t hitched up. :slight_smile: I bought this trailer because it’s totally LOADED. It has multiple interior lights, inside and outside outlets, overhead loading lights, etc. I was super stoked when I got it for only 2k

Also, an update; he loaded up last week just fine and came to the new property. So I guess feeding him in there worked?

8 Likes

Awesome~!! Congratulations :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a great update! Good work to both of you!

1 Like