Unlimited access >

Horseboxes in the US?

I have an EquiTrek trailer and the ramp is on the right side. Ive had it over 4 years and that hasn’t been a big problem, but I think you can have it on the other side. I don’t usually park on roadsides, but once I parked in a lot and needed to pull out to load as a car parked adjacent to the trailer preventing me from opening the ramp (much like people parking too close to the back of a rear ramp trailer)

Contact L&D Trailers to find out https://www.equi-trek-portland.com/ - they sponsor Jan Ebeling and he has a horse box from them

Thank you!!! I couldn’t imagine the ramp was a real problem; the video just mentioned it. Is there anything you would change?

One other point if you’re seriously considering getting a horse box – getting insurance can be a bit of a challenge. The vehicles are still unusual here — not quite a van but also not quite an RV. If you get a large one with living quarters you may be able to get coverage as an “RV”. I ended up getting a commercial policy. Something to investigate if/when you decide to buy one.

3 Likes

I wish the tack area was larger, but the newer version of my trailer has a larger tack area/door so that’s moot. I also recommend that if you live in a hot area you get a lot of ventilation added in the horse area as it can get quite stuffy - I have a flettner vent, the dome pop up and two other pop ups that scoop air in.

TBH there’s not many comparable trailers in the USA - rear facing, side ramp is a very unusual combo in a 3000# trailer, and my trailer has a 2 bunk little living quarters, so if you’re in the market for those features it’s great! I don’t have the horse box obvs so not sure how others would reply to your question on those models.

1 Like

FYI for OP, I went up to Frank DiBella’s to look at an older type van and they said they were having real trouble getting chassis to build new vans on.

1 Like

They sure are! I have been trying to get DiBella to build me a small van since last May! They just can’t get the chassis they use. They use a Mercedes dual wheel behind, which makes it more stable than many of the small vans in the US.

1 Like

I have driven the new STX one a decent amount. Only for short (less than an hour) trips. They are super convenient and much easier to drive, back up, no hooking up etc. than a regular truck and trailer.

That being said I MUCH prefer a regular truck and trailer combo. The van drives ok but it feels tall and more unstable. You feel the horses way more. When they shift it feels like the van is wobbling even though it’s (hopefully) not. I also much prefer having a big crew cab truck for all of my stuff/for my dog. I’m just way more comfortable with that set up.

1 Like

Thank you for this post. I’ve wondered…

I’ve had a Stephex for almost three years now. I used to haul with a Boeckmann which I liked very much but couldn’t park at my new house.

There are some real plusses to the Stephex. I like that the horses ride backwards. If you need to break, they just kind of bump into the wall and it seems less stressful. I don’t tie my horses and put my hay on the ground and they eat the whole time head down. For my ulcerey horses, I think that’s helpful. they will pop their head and look out the window sometimes.

It stays quite cool, there is an air circulator and windows. I live in southern california, so that’s a big plus. I also like that most anyone can drive this thing, all the grooms have my house gate code and know where I hide the key so they can easily get the thing if there’s an emergency. Again, socal fires make this a definite plus.

The tack room to me is really huge, but I travel pretty light. I usually set it up so I can easily open the doors to the stalls. On longer trips, it’s easy to give them more hay and water when we stop for gas. I like that I can load and unload by myself and horses seem happy to get on it. The only dicey moment is when you open the ramp, you’re at street level and the horse is way up high and all that’s keeping them in is the big fabric strap. I’ve never had a problem but I move quickly in that moment bc your eye level is at their knees basically!

One big plus I didn’t consider is if you drive with a truck and trailer in California, you are limited to 55mph on the highway and I’m always surprised but cops will give you a hard time if you’re pushing 60-65. If you’re driving from Los Angeles to Sonoma, and you can go 20mph faster in the long middle section that’s dead straight and cars are going 90, that actually cuts down kind of meaningfully on the trip time.

Negatives above are definitely true, if the horse behind the drivers seat kicks, it is terrifying. The horses are very high up in the air, so you have to drive slower than you would with a trailer on turns. I crawl once I’m off the highway and streets are bendy. You don’t jostle much with the horses, but if it’s windy and empty in the van, it’s like a sail, you have to be careful. Coming home from thermal with no horses and lots of wind is not fun.

It’s funny everyone says why would you want a single purpose vehicle, I use my pickup truck all the time once I unhitch the trailer etc.

And for us, this van is almost more useful than a pickup, and gets much better gas mileage. Because it’s so expensive, I’ve kept it meticulously clean, so we use it to move around all kind of things. Furniture, art, christmas trees, equipment and materials for my remodel. It’s easier to get things in and of than a truck too. the ramp is easy to lift alone.

Any kind of errand you want to run, it’s super fun to drive. Your only major concern is height on underground parking lots. But with all the cameras, it’s easy to park and no longer than a long bed pick up truck. It is HILARIOUS to drive up to valet with. Highly recommend that. So at shows, I really don’t mind having it as my driver back to the airbnb or grocery store.

Overall, I really like it, I get a ton of use out of it. For a while my kid would spend hours playing in it, switching the light to blue and white etc. It’s not for everyone, and its stupid expensive, but I’m pretty stupid, so it works out for me.

9 Likes

I’ve never seen any truck and trailers respecting this, and I sure don’t, and I’ve never seen any CHP pull someone over for that. As long as you’re not in the left lane or going way faster than everyone else they have bigger fish to fry (the person going 90 in the left lane). Or maybe it’s just the areas I’m driving in (bay area out to Sacramento, but minimally on I-5).

1 Like

I have been doing a lot of research on these horse vans. My online search lead me to this forum and got me to register :). I am very interested in horsebox/horse van if anyone is aware of used one for sale please feel free to reach out to me. Thank you

1 Like