Unlimited access >

Horses and college???

For sure,wait a year here before bringing the horse to school. You might have some free time now because you haven’t really gotten involved with new friends and the usual college extra curricular activities. You might want to join some things or compete for the school. I traveled with the Speech team and helped with Debate topic research. Made friends I had for years.

I kept and paid for the horse working several jobs that progressed into a 25 hour a week permanent position with benefits but lived at home with recently widowed Mom. Win Win. But because I had the flexibility to let horse sit when I didn’t have time without sacrificing everything else in my life. Didn’t get through in 4 years either, might mention that. Much more leisurely pace, no rush to a job to pay off student loans either.

I have my near 20 year old quarter horse because the friend we were boarding with at the time went to college and they couldn’t keep him.

He loves it here. We love him as well. He fits in perfectly with our herd and they come up once or twice a year to come see him.

I don’t know if this story makes the decision easier but I figured I’d tell it anyway.

I took mine for about a year to prep him for his last competition year before I sent him back home and retired him. Found small property that would did partial care(he fed in the mornings, and I came in the evenings). If it was testing season, he didn’t mind doing the evening feed. He was a really awesome guy and I definitely lucked out with finding him and his property. I think I paid about $125 a month, and paid for all my own feed/hay. I had 2, sometimes 3 jobs at a time. Went to school full time. The place was about 15 minutes from campus, but A&M is really horse friendly, so there wasn’t really a shortage of places to go with a horse. It’s doable if you want to do it. If you don’t want that added responsibility, leave him back home or lease him out. Edited to say I didn’t realize how old this post was. haha. oops.