Unlimited access >

Horse's first hunt - setting up for success

At my hunt we pair a guest trying out hunting with a member who can provide a tutorial and assistance during the hunt. That member will keep the guest in the best position in the field to have a safe and memorable day. The audios and visuals a horse experiences during a hunt just cannot be replicated unless you do mounting shooting or cavalry charges for fun.

I was gifted a horse a couple weeks ago that had never hunted. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth and don’t be the first to hunt a gift horse. As a condition of me taking the horse I had the friend ride him in a hunt last weekend. It was going to be a slow hunt on a hot day, perfect for evaluating him. He passed. I hunted him last Wednesday and he was foot perfect again. He’s an older gelding, 18, but seems very suited to how I hunt as a Hilltopper Field master.

Good luck at your clinic. And remember, a horse will always, always go faster in the Hunt Field so keep it slow and steady without having your horse get frustrated.

1 Like

Just wanted to report back in - we had our first hunt today, and it was a total success! My horse was perfectly behaved and seemed to really relax and enjoy himself. The hunt staff and members were super welcoming and took great care of us. It was just wonderful to be out there. I really hope we get the chance to go again! Thanks again for all the tips, I think they really helped us have a good, confident day!

7 Likes

Wonderful news! Congrats and I am pea green with envy:D

1 Like

Yeah!!! I am so glad you had a great day. Here’s to many more!!

What a fabulous update! Sounds like you are well on your way to years of wonderful hunting ahead.

And, I’m with @four2farm@gmail.com : green with envy!!:smiley:

Just wanted to pop back in to say: we went out again this weekend. Apparently my horse enjoyed enjoyed himself a little too much last time, because I had a LOT of excess enthusiasm to rein in on Saturday. He obviously has decided he has figured out this hunting thing and the best part is GALLOPING. I had to laugh! This horse flunked out of a jumping career, but sure did enjoy finding every possible ditch, puddle etc to leap over (and celebrate afterward with some expressive dance moves.) We were out for three hours and he hacked home with bounce in his step feeling like he could do it all over again! :lol: I may have created a monster!

The monster will probably learn that they need to conserve a bit of energy but it can be an interesting time for you as their rider whilst they learn that lesson. Bit up for hunting until you reach a compromise.

You will find that changes once your horse has found the bottom ! Just because you are out hunting does not mean you cannot work on stuff. Working/medium/extended gaits, changes of lead around corners, lateral work etc,etc. Usually it gives more expression to their movement.

It isn’t unusual for a horse to be less well behaved after a hunt or two. It can take them a bit to settle into the routine of hunting and the idea that it’s not all galloping.

There are many ways to manage a horse that seems to have taken to hunting a little TOO much:

taking them in a slower flight can help them keep everything under control.

starting in a slower flight and moving up if the behavior is good and moving back to the slower flight or going in if it’s just too much.

taking them in before things get too crazy. This is easier done if the meet is close to your home. It’s hard to travel an hour to the meet and only ride for 30-60 minutes.

hunting several times a week. This isn’t always feasible.

riding them hard for 1-2 days prior to hunting. If you can’t do this, be sure to leave them turnout in pasture the night before hunting.

if you feed a high sugar feed, cut it to a minimum the night before and the morning of hunting. Provide more or extra yummy hay as a replacement.

practicing galloping and and then standing at home. In the woods and in open fields. Try to get to the point where you can gallop, halt and stand for 30 sec on a loose rein. This is something that most people rarely practice.

teach your horse to move at different speeds within each gait. For several of my horses, teaching them to extended trot has been a god send. They are able to keep up while others are cantering. The bonus is that I’m not having to constantly ask them to steady, I’m able to let them move on. It changes the dynamic.

teach your horse to move their shoulders and hips over. This can help you when the horse has a little too much pep in their step. You don’t necessarily ask them to slow down, you are asking them to work harder. If you can get them to do these maneuvers softly off your rein and leg aids, you will find a way for them to focus on you.

2 Likes

When I started hunting on of the masters told me it takes two years of regular hunting to know if you really have a hunt horse. Once they figure out the excitement they can get very strong and excitable. It’s whether they pass through that phase that makes them a hunt horse.

Despite what a lot of old timers will tell you, I believe dressage is very good training for a hunt horse. Remember dressage originated with cavalry horses.

Thanks everyone! Great ideas here to integrate some lateral work etc while out there. Overall, he was still well-behaved - stood easily at the checks, walked quietly when necessary, didn’t disrupt anyone else - he just wanted to trot/canter much faster than warranted the whole time (and throw in the aforementioned airs above the ground to show everyone how much of a buzzkill his rider was…) We’ll probably get the chance for one more hunt this season so we’ll try some of the suggestions above (and at the very least throw on a martingale)!

2 Likes

A dear friend use to Whip off a drop dead dreamy coal Black TB, on the buckle. While chatting with her one day about her Mr. Perfect she laughed and said “If he had his regular grain ration before a hunt I would never be able to stop him.” He got grain in the trailer on the way back home from the hunt. Something to consider with a keen horse- half or no grain rations before the hunt. :slight_smile:

3 Likes