Unlimited access >

Horseshoes or Barefoot. Which do you think is best?

Already do sixteen miles a day,horse’s feet are just fine. Huh no shoes required yet only booted as needed that’s not very often if at all. Been doing 16 miles since may.
From what i see posted here on hooves and shod ones not at all impressed. Can’t tell me those shoe jobs aren’t doing damage,with long toes & under run heels…

I visit other forums same saga my horse is lame and can’t figure out why…i’ve got a great farrier. Post pics and long toes/under run heels with shoes slapped on. But i got a great farrier he’s certified so he’s the best. The best at long toes/under run heels like so many so called wonderful farriers.
Will never see me post on here for hoof help don’t need it. Got sound barefoot horses with nice trimmed feet.

2 Likes

Except for the times they are sore and need Durasole? (Particularly the unbooted hind feet that you’re working on “toughening up?”) When exactly will they be “tough enough?”

“So if they get sore tender they are booted. If its hinds that get tender/ sore its called toughen up. I durasole the afending feet.”

Honestly, no one really cares if you use boots - boots are great - except that you’re arguing that shoes are bad for horses in the same thread as you are describing tender/sore hoofs that need Durasole and “toughening up.” I guess they are not really sound, barefoot horses.

3 Likes

I use Durasole when it extremely wet out 2 times a week. Hind feet no longer get tender it was temporary as in 2 rides. That was in early may this year. Never a issue since so horse is sound always has been. 2 rides out of 2 years of riding hardly constitutes not sound barefoot horse.

I’ll make sure I specifically put when things occurred. When it did happen horse still got worked…Don’t pamper my horses. Called toughen up and get over it. To each there own. I’m anti shoes no one here will change my mind on it. I’ll NEVER put metal on any of my horse’s feet end of discussion.

2 Likes

No one is trying to change your mind. Just to expect you to back up your claims with reasonable evidence.

“Toughen up and get over it” is not being “anti-shoe”. It’s just being indifferent to your horse, or downright neglectful, depending on the frequency and severity of the issue.

2 Likes

The “shoe jobs” you see here are from bad trimming. Then it’s just shoes applied on top of that. Actually, many of the physical shoe applications are pretty good from a mechanical perspective - pretty and tight nails. That’s irrelevant though if they’re put on feet trimmed that badly.

NEVER SAID ALL HORSE"S CAN BE BAREFOOT,nowhere in my post have i implied that…

You did imply it when you said shoes hinder the foot. And you clearly are anti-shoe, so clearly you don’t think all horses can be barefoot.

Fact of the matter is i won’t settle for a crap trim/ shoe job just because horse needs shoes. Won’t lower my standards for how feet should look just because horse needs shoes.

Who said you should?

One requirement for any horse i own it has to be able to be barefoot. I’ll use hoof boots if needed. But metal shoes nope, not happening.

Too bad, but I understand, though I guess you won’t care if you sell the horse down the road and let that owner use the crappy farriers around?

Well, people don’t come here to post threads about how WELL their horses are doing :wink: And it’s NOT THE SHOE JOB. It’s the trimming. If there are farriers that bad around you, I bet there are also trimmers just as bad.

I visit other forums same saga my horse is lame and can’t figure out why…i’ve got a great farrier. Post pics and long toes/under run heels with shoes slapped on. But i got a great farrier he’s certified so he’s the best. The best at long toes/under run heels like so many so called wonderful farriers.

Of course! People go looking for help when things are wrong. They don’t go posting about how great their horses are doing. I don’t post here about my horses’ feet because they don’t have a problem. You don’t post about your horses’ feet because they (allegedly) don’t have problems. Except for the time they became badly laminitic. See? You did something uneducated because you asked a “friend” if it was ok to free choice feed that high NSC oat hay, and you almost foundered your horses. You didn’t know. Other people don’t know how healthy feet should look, or how they affect the horse’s body, so they think if a farrier is nice, and comes on time, and shoes stay on, he’s a good farrier.

Will never see me post on here for hoof help don’t need it. Got sound barefoot horses with nice trimmed feet.

Except you did. You had NO idea that hay could cause hoof problems. You were here asking for all the help you could get for those feet, didn’t really know what to make of digital pulses, and you’ve certainly had quite the history of other health issues from colics to deaths to chokes to ulcers, just to name a few. So before you climb too much higher on that hoof health horse of yours, perhaps think that you lack knowledge in other areas, just like many lack knowledge in what you are berating them for.

Right, horses are purely a commodity to you, things to be used as long as they are useful to your satisfaction, and sent down the road when they require any extra bit of care.

To each there own. I’m anti shoes no one here will change my mind on it. I’ll NEVER put metal on any of my horse’s feet end of discussion.

You definitely need to think twice before chiding others on their lack of knowledge of hoof care, when you clearly do not understand it all yourself.

3 Likes

Why would anyone who is doing well ask for help to do less well?

G.

2 Likes

You can’t control new owner of horse sold,once horse changes hands it’s called no longer yours. I can tell them who i use if they choose not too not much i can do. Don’t own any unhealthy horses currently no ulcers no choke no colic that horse has been gone for months now…

Not true about i only keep horses if they’re of use,have one now who isn’t able to be ridden,never will be. Cost 220 a month just in feed for that horse. No my personal horses are not just a commodity,if they were i wouldn’t spend 50 $ every six weeks to have them trimmed. No don’t send good horses down the road ,and i do spend extra on them when needed.

Not berating anyone if you take offence to what i post then not much i can do. Truth is my horses are barefoot sound healthy feet. Not about what i have posted about back in 2016 doesn’t matter it’s water under the bridge,so let it go quit bring up past post by me.

Horse was tender footed for all of 2 rides,big deal, 2 years of never an issue sound now and will be,because he’s got healthy feet.

Never said i understand everything but i know enough about feet to recognise a good trim and shoe job. No hoof no horse my horses have good hooves under them so i have no worries. Not chiding anyone if taken that way really not my problem. I have my opinion on the subject and it stands,whether it’s liked or not. Do i care what you or anyone else thinks of me nope sure don’t.

2 Likes

You haven’t told us about the 16 miles a day you ride.

G.

1 Like

Wow…

1 Like

Doing an equal amount of walking, trotting and cantering: 16 miles = a two hour ride – every day = a very fit horse if soundness isn’t an issue. Add another hour for pre-ride grooming/tacking and post-ride cool out/bath + other related tasks…and you’re looking at a three hour chunk of time, daily. No judgement, just saying.

2 Likes

Depends on the day can do 16 mile in an hour and 15 minutes or it takes 2 hours. Sometimes i canter him a good part of it sometimes i do walking ,trotting and cantering. Yesterday rode 6 hours with a few friends think we covered 25 or so miles did a lot of walking and trotting. Trails are rocks /gravel and sandy parts. There’s a good 3 mile stretch that’s sandy so let horse gallop that stretch most every day. Some days the 16 miles takes longer than 2 hours if a lot of time is spent walking. Then i spend close to an hour cleaning him up and rubbing him down with liniment after rides. Wear & growth of feet are equal trimmer only has to rasp and balance up feet take bars down. This horse has never had shoes on even before i got him.

Paint horse was shod and his feet were horrible,i don’t have the paint horse anymore,he was unhealthy and issue after issue. He came to me that way,reason he kept getting passed around people got tired of the walking vet bill.

When he had those 2 rides when back feet were tender, i let him walk where he was most comfortable. That was in may no more issue sense.

2 Likes